Some thoughts on the B-Sides and the Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
I recently got my hands on all the B-Sides and I must say that I am very, very impressed. Here are some thoughts I had regarding those tunes.

1. Native Son is great. I've read some people wishing that this song didn't turn into Vertigo or that Vertigo is better, etc. What I wish is that this song stayed Native Son and made the album. Obviously they would have to rework some of the guitars and things, but the lyrics (especially the chorus) are really great.

2. Xanox and Wine. I love Fast Cars, but this song is better. I also think this should have been on the album. Personally, I don't care for the falsetto chorus, but the rest of the tune is great.

3. All Because of You. I prefer the album version of this one.

4. Smile is amazing! This song could have (AND SHOULD HAVE) made the cut. I also believe that this song, due to it's great lyrics, nice sounds and simple title (ala One) would have had a great shot at being a radio fave. Sometimesyoucan'tmakeitonyourown will not do that well on the radio. (Please refrain from beating me up on this. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.) Smile is simple, plesant and easy to digest, exactly what the radio loves. A great tune and it's a crime that it's not on the record.

5. Flower Child. Nice, unique tune. I also think this song should have made the album.

6. Yahweh. Don't like the album version, don't like the B-Side version.

7. SYCMIOYO alternate version. Album version is way better. Im my opinion, the album version captures what I believe Bono intends to be the spirit of the song more than the early version.

The other B-Sides I don't really care for and therefor will not spend time writing about them.

Now I will give my ideal tracklist.

1. Vertigo
2. Xanox and Wine
3. Miracle Drug
4. Sometimes...
5. Love and Peace
6. City of Blinding Lights
7. Native Son
8. All Because of You
9. Flower Child
10. Mercy
11. Original...
12. One Step Closer
13. Smile

I think I'll go burn this one right now.

Thanks for listening.

Vertigo and Native Son on one album may not be a very good career move.
:| :wink:

These aren't actually B-Sides, none of them have been released on a single. Also, Flower Child is from the All That You Can't Leave Behind sessions.

Are you gonna wait forever? - now that's a real b-side, and better than all of your additions to the album.

Flower Child is good, catchy, but too long. Just goes on, and on.

I love Smile too, but it doesn't even touch AYGWF. Not even close.

Yup, I'm stuck here in the awful middle east (land of awful Brit Pop), where U2's practically unheard of. I don't have access to I-tune store, so even though I bought one of those U2 pods, I can't get to their ultimate collection.

Where can I find songs like "native son", "smile" and the others that are constantly being referred to?

Help.

(please)

My thoughts on a few of them...

1. Xanax and Wine - I love it, I also love Fast Cars. :shrug: If I had to pick a favorite I'd choose Fast Cars because I think the song is about Bono trying to get over losing his father, and I think the pace and mood of Fast Cars fits better for that.

2. Native Son - It's okay, I actually like Vertigo a little better. I know most don't agree with me but I don't care for some of the lyrics that much. :shrug:

3. Smile is gorgeous and I don't really understand why it was cast off this album.

4. Jesus Christ - I still can't decide if I love or hate this song but I think it's fun. So I guess I don't hate it lol.

5. Love You Like Mad - :yawn:

6. Sometimes Alternate is.....weird. I think the album version is much better but this one is interesting and fits pretty well with my alternate album playlist. :wink:

7. Yahweh Alternate - It's okay, I like them both, but this one loses the joy and excitement I feel from the album version.

An alternate playlist I came up with on an old thread....

1 Native Son
2 Love and Peace or Else
3 Xanax and Wine
4 All Because of You - Alternate
5 Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
6 Smile
7 Mercy
8 SYCMIOYO - Alternate
9. Levitate
10 Crumbs From Your Table
11 Yahweh

It's a little weird and may not make sense in spots :uhoh: but I've burned the playlist and have played the CD quite a bit.

I like the b-side verson of all becuase of you way better. most becuase i like the guitar.
mercy i wish was on the album. its just soo good

i think u2 should do all further albums like this. listening to HTDAAB by itself is ok, but with the b-sides and some live performances, the whole experience becomes complete. Especially listening to a non neutered Vertigo and Fast Cars (i.e. Native Son and Xanax and Wine). Even if i don't agree with sentiments of either song.

adam3000 said:
i think u2 should do all further albums like this. listening to HTDAAB by itself is ok, but with the b-sides and some live performances, the whole experience becomes complete. Especially listening to a non neutered Vertigo and Fast Cars (i.e. Native Son and Xanax and Wine). Even if i don't agree with sentiments of either song.

Now that's curious. I DO agree with the sentiments of BOTH songs.... but prefer the versions that made the album. :huh:

I think Native Son is the best of all the alternate songs, that part where Bono yells FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE is quite amazing..

having said that, I still like Vertigo more

1. I prefer Vertigo, it feels more finished than Native son.

2. Like them both, maybe a slight edge to Fast cars because the music with the Arabic touch is more original than the guitar sound of Xanax.

3. Agreed. Album version is better.

4. I don't know why, but I have a feeling Smile was the early version of Mercy. Nice song, though - not sure it belongs on album.

5. Nice song. Wish U2 went all the way and added two more pop songs on All that... instead of Peace on earth and When I look at the world. I'm glad we got to hear these two and Levitate and Love you like mad anyway.

6. Prefer the album version.

7. YES.

I have been playing these remixes/unreleased all week and I :heart: Smile, Levitate, Xanax and Love You Like Mad.
Native Son is growing on me but I'm still glad they kept working on it. Vertigo is pure pop/rock perfection IMHO. :)

The really really really early version of Vertigo/Native Son w/ just the basic riffs of both songs, and i think a whole Edge solo for one song.

1. Vertigo
2.Mercy
3.Miracle drug
4.Xanax and wine
5.Sometimes you cant make it on your own
6.Love and peace or else
7.Native son
8City of blinding lights
9.All because of you
10.Are you gonna wait forever
11.A man and a woman
12.Smile