some strange COBL verses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jendzi

The Fly
the whole part :

don't look before you laugh
look ugly in a photograph
flash bulbs, purple irises
that camera can't see
i've seen you walk unafraid
i've seen you in the clothes you made
can you see the beauty inside of me
what happened to the beauty i had
inside of me

is somewhat strange :) i just don't know what the author wanted to say

I don't know either, also the "neon heart dayglo eyes, they're advertising in the skies for people like us" part confuses me.

I think "i've seen you..." lines refer to the NY shows after 9/11. The next two lines refer to youth, innocence before experience and life puts more cynisism in you.

Yeah, they are kind of fuzzy

but I do like "They're advertising in the skies for people like us" line somehow it just sounds beautiful. Even though I don't know what it means.:huh:

yes, and also "city grid by fireflies", i imagine that beauty form above :)
i don't know why i like it so much... it's the best song on HTDAAB -- but don't know what it is all about (except NYC) :)

jendzi said:
the whole part :

that camera can't see
inside of me

is somewhat strange :) i just don't know what the author wanted to say

Bono said in the Rollingstone article that City of Blinding lights came from a picture that he saw of himself as a young man looking upon some city (can't remember which) from a helicopter and seeing how much hope was there and how he now sees that he had it right.

Hearing that puts this verse in a whole new light for me. Bono is talking about himself here. Its beautiful. He's describing himself as a young man and then wondering if he still has it in him.

Re: Re: some strange COBL verses

From the Rollingstone Article

But today, in his high-rise living room, Bono is looking back at the start of his life with U2, recalling the incident that inspired his flood of memories in "City of Blinding Lights."

Bono was attending the opening of a museum exhibition in Holland by U2's longtime photographer Anton Corbijn, "and he had a room full of Bonos, if you can think of anything worse," the singer says, chuckling with embarrassment. "But to see these giant pictures, through the years -- I got stuck in front of one, it must have been 1981 or '82, of me taking a ride in a helicopter. The eyes were so open. The whole face was so open.

"A journalist sidled up to me and said" -- Bono affects a thick, old-world accent -- " 'Vat vould Bono now say to dis Bono?' I went, 'Well, I would tell him, he's right -- and stop second-guessing himself.'

"The band was what I believed in then," Bono contends. "My faith in myself was a different matter. That innocence -- you don't just want to shed it. You want to beat it off you, scratch it off. You think that knowledge of the world will somehow give you an easier route through it.

"It doesn't," he says emphatically. "In a lot of ways, that's the essence of this album -- the idea that you can go back to where you started, that you can start again." To press his point, Bono quotes the last verse of Atomic Bomb's Who-ish blitzkrieg "All Because of You," chanting the words like a prayer: "I'm alive/I'm being born/I just arrived, I'm at the door/Of the place that I started out from/And I want back inside."

"We've closed the circle," he says, beaming, "back to our first album" -- 1980's echo-drenched thriller, Boy. "Maybe we should have called this one Man."

A pretentious ass he may be at times, but I do pray that I age this well....

Last edited:
woow, that's wonderful :shocked: :drool:
it really brings new light there... i like it even more now :wink:

The more i listen to it the more i think this is the most self revealing song Bono has ever written.

Look at old pictures of yourself - before you were jaded - neon heart dayglow eyes.

I think that the criticism in the late 80's hurt Bono more than any of us will ever know.

jendzi said:
the whole part :

that camera can't see
inside of me

COBL is my favorite song on HTDAAB and that part is my favorite. :up:

BrownEyedBoy said:

but I do like "They're advertising in the skies for people like us" line somehow it just sounds beautiful. Even though I don't know what it means.:huh:

so do i! it's very different and non-cliche and sounds great

Last edited:
Bono said in an interview in 2001 that looking at a display of pics of him over the years, he noticed that something had gone out of his eyes, something good, something innocent. That is probably what he meant by 'what happened to the beauty I had inside of me'

I wonder what he means by 'purple irises', isn't it usually red pupils and not purple irises that a flash camera causes?

Yeah, I think he uses some words because they're more musical even if they don't make so much sense kinda like in Starring At The Sun. Maybe the purple is because of his multi color glasses..... :hmm:

And Bono, you never 'look ugly in a photograph', well, maybe those wife beater shirt ones;)

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

I think that everybody's pretty much right-on about the lyrics in question. While I personally think that they're maybe a bit cumbersome and unwieldy, I also think that they still manage to convey their message quite well. I totally see where Bono's coming from, what he's saying...all that stuff. Not my favorite passage in practice, but VERY powerful anyway--in theory and in application. Good stuff, in other words--like most U2, for me it is at once beautiful and unsightly. I hope that makes sense....just know that this isn't a dig at Bono/the band!

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom