Some meaningful words in favour of Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
I loved the letter below. It?s a reader?s response to an article about Bono and his work to Drop the Debt organization. I remember having read the article in the beginning of the month, and I thought the author was kinda mocking him, it was a bit of sarcastic. I think this woman hit the nail on the head with her words. What do you think?

The Irish Times
March 12, 2002

HEADLINE: Bono's Campaign On World Debt

Sir, - It is difficult to know what prompts an article such as Brian Boyd's "It's too late now to stop him from saving the world" (News Features, March 2nd), which outlines Bono's rise to fame as a negotiator for the future well-being of Africa.

Granted, the article does give a fair and comprehensive account of Bono's involvement with DATA (Debt, Aid, Trade for Africa) and his ability to bend the ear of the global movers and shakers of our future.

However, I think it is less than gracious in its attempt to satirise Bono. Are we Irish intent on dragging down everyone who has the nerve to raise her or his head above our greasy tills, no matter what the reason? Does it matter what kind of internal, personal satisfaction Bono gets from this line of work, or that he may be "stoking the furnace of his own ego so that we may love him more for his boundless philanthropy?" I'm sure the African parents of dying children will not worry about Bono's ego if they are able to feed and educate their families as a result of his intervention.

It is worth noting that while on September 11th, 2001, when about 7,000 people died in the US as a result of terrorist attacks, 24,000 people died of hunger, 6,020 children were killed by diarrhoea and 2,700 children by measles. These atrocities have been described by the source of this information, New Internationalist, (November 2001), as "enduring terrors". The list of enduring global terrors is endless.

How clever of Bono to appeal to the expedient US nature in emphasising the notion that unless something serious is done about global debt, there could be more atrocities where Americans are the victims.

On a personal note, I am proud to have chosen Bono's alma mater for my son's education. If Mount Temple has had any influence on Bono's actions, I hope the same will apply to my son. May he leave the world a little better than he found it - no matter what kind of personal satisfaction he may get as a result. - Is mise,

Mary Ryan, Haven View, Malahide, Co Dublin.

That is a fantastic letter. Thanks for posting it.
smile.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you learn to like the way it feels
You hurt yourself you hurt your lover
Then you discover
What you thought was freedom is just greed

Right on Mrs. Mary Ryan!!!

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

You?re welcome.
smile.gif

The last paragraph of Mrs. Ryan?s letter is perfect IMO. That?s what Bono wants for his children as well, a better world to live in. For all of us.

Back
Top Bottom