Solo Albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
This may have been discussed before, but if so, I've missed it.
I have been wondering about this for a really long time.
U2 got together in 1976; their first record was in 1979, first album in 1980. In all of the years since then, not one of the members has done the seemingly obligatory solo album. This has been during a time when even the most minor members of the least talented bands have felt the need to do the solo thing.
I have my own theories, which I will share, but I first want to ask this question:

Why do you think there have been no solo albums from the members of U2?

MrBrau1 said:
Their real strength is as a band. Neither one is that great on their own.
agreed. and they seem to realize that. you never hear them talking about how they're the best singer, drummer, etc., but they do say they're the (or they want to be at least) the best band in the world.

i'd like to think if they ever did break up or just stop recording/performing, none of them would do solo stuff, just collaborate with other people like they do now.

After checking Two Shots Of Happy, Jools Holland version of Velvet Dress, Thats Life, and a few other covers Bono has done of those kind of songs, (the vocals of Night and Day, I've Got You Under My Skin), I think would be very interesting if Bono could record an album in that genre, dressed in a tuxedo and all. ;)

Edge did a solo album once. It's the soundtrack to the movie Captive.

But as for why there haven't been other solo albums, it's also a case of not being interested in them. I think it was Bono who once said something like that whenever he wanted to record a song, he always wanted to do it with the band. And it would also never sound as good as when U2 did it.
Since their music is so versatile, there's probably also less need to do something out of the band. Because there's a great chance that the band also wants to play that kind of music.

C ya!

Marty

I've always thought that the reason people often go solo is because they really want to be the main person out front, and in charge of everything, versus having to answer to four other people.. in some cases, they also go solo b/c they want to experiment with other sounds they are interested in (ex: Gwen Stefani's upcoming solo release). :shrug:

rafmed said:
After checking Two Shots Of Happy, Jools Holland version of Velvet Dress, Thats Life, and a few other covers Bono has done of those kind of songs, (the vocals of Night and Day, I've Got You Under My Skin), I think would be very interesting if Bono could record an album in that genre, dressed in a tuxedo and all. ;)

Oh, he could, cause he's agreat singer. It just wouldn't be original. It also kinda show's you've given up on rock ala Rod Stewart.

Last edited:
They work together as a band and usually solo albums aren't usually the greatest. For instance, I am a big Depeche Mode fan but to me Dave Gahan's album was pure crap. I honestly can't imagine any of the guys, not even Bono having a solo album 'cause I can't imagine what the sound would be like. What is Larry Mullen Going to do? A punk rock album with some has been's from GN'R and do a bunch of drum solos?

People from popular bands whose solo albums, for the most part, do not suck:

John Lennon
Paul McCartney
George Harrision
(sorry Ringo)
Johnny Greenwood
Stephen Malkmus
Scott Weiland (12 Bar Blues was much better than the junk he did with the Stone Temple Pilots)
Manu Chao
Ben Folds
Morrissey
Frank Black (don't let reviews throw you, he's still a genius)

And there are so many more, of course. So there's hope; a solo album from the Edge could kill (although I've never heard the soundtrack he did in the '80s).

:shrug:
I guess they never felt the need to go outside of the band, but that will be a better question to ask after U2 calls it quits - I could easily imagine Bono making a solo album. Or Bono and Edge making albums.

Re: eeeville

WinnieThePoo said:
except for Bono
:der: :der: :der:

LOL! BUT i think that there is only ONE Bono, ONE larry, ONE Edge and ONE adam!! No one could ever ever ever replace there places.

LONG LIVE U2 WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!:drool:

Ft. Worth Frog said:
Don't forget Sting and Don Henley. Maybe throw in a little David Lee Roth (Just a Gigolo):wink:

DEFERNATLEY STING AND DURAN DURAN AND OASIS, I COULD GO ON. LOL. :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

Oh, he could, cause he's agreat singer. It just wouldn't be original. It also kinda show's you've given up on rock ala Rod Stewart.

Thats totally true. I find that whenever a musician is going through a bad phase in their musical career, they will make a jazzy album. Ive seen Rod Stewart do this, even David Bowie.

As good a Bono is, he has even said it himself - something to the effect that he can sing but U2 are 4 parts of a whole. That's not a quote exactly but he pretty much makes the point his talent is directly related to having Edge, Larry and Adam with him. That's not to say he never will do any solo albums, because he has collabrated on a great deal of other music ventures. but I firmly believe he knows what makes him and the music work and that's U2 as a collective.
I happen to agree. :bono: :larry: :adam: :edge: ONE! U2

BONO was in varius artists songs 'perfect day' and he was also in Band aid!

Was it just him or was the rest of U2 with him? :huh:

I think Adam was also present at the recording session, but I don't think he plays the bass on that song. Maybe he's part of the all-star chorus.

C ya!

Marty

babyman said:
actually, i would say the only one who would do a good solo album is edge

I get the feeling that even if one of the U2's did ever do a solo album, there would still be a bit of collaboration still going on in the background. Kind of like w/Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. Even when he appeared by himself on some songs w/Stevie Nicks, there were still Heartbreakers around everywhere.

*wonders why she hasn't downloaded "Stop Draggin' my Heart Around" & "Needles & Pins" yet.:hmm: :scratch: *

I've always felt Captive was Edge's "solo" album and Bono's solo album was to some degree the soundtrack to Million Dollar Hotel...

I think Edge and Bono would do fine if they did solo albums. I mean Bono's a fine vocalist and I'm sure, just like "Hotel," good musicians/ player would love to work with the man. Hell, I would love to see Bono collaborate with Jeff Beck. I think Bono's style these days is similar to Rod Stewart's back in the day and would go well with the current incarnation of Beck if Beck went back to more traditional rock music using a vocalist.

Also I'm sure the Edge could work with any number of musicians as well and put out material just as strong as he does with U2. He's a creative guy.

The reason I don't say Adam or Larry could is b/c unless you're like a virtuoso at your instrument it is highly unlikely you can get a peep of recognition from people or the media in terms of albums centered on the drummer or bassist (with the exception of Ringo).

I would hope Bono doesn't ever turn out to be like Rod Stewart....

I don't think any of them would be very good solo! Because they will lose their unique U2 sound, you know the drums and base etc! AND THEY WOULD NOT BE OUR FAVE IRISH BAND NO MORE :sad:

Kate1 said:
I don't think any of them would be very good solo! Because they will lose their unique U2 sound, you know the drums and base etc! AND THEY WOULD NOT BE OUR FAVE IRISH BAND NO MORE :sad:

everything has an end, a day or the other U2 will end, we will end (!):huh: ......but history is something that you can never cancel, that's why U2 will last forever...;)

U2 are ledgens in every way! The only way U2 will end is when they retire, thats if! They have been strong through thick and thin!

kate1, look at a band like pink floyd, for instance...they've retired 10 years ago, but do you really believe that their music won't be there in 50 years?? they never die, and U2 will never die, like elvis, doors, hendrix......... :wink:

They each did solo work that was thrown together into a single album. It had some great songs in it but had a kinda overproduced sound and wasn't as warmly received as other albums.

They called that one Pop.

Back
Top Bottom