SOI Promotional Apearances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the big tour news from Live Nation ended up being a Slipknot/Korn UK tour...

Are any of us truly surprised it's not U2?

I dont see an announcement until end of the year at the earliest, especially if they don't start the tour until May. Plus they may be planning to drop SoE before/at the start of the tour thus the extended wait time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

In this forum there's this myth that a song is not finished: if it doesn't have a sing along chorus, if it doesn't have enough appeal for radio airplay, if it doesn't have Bono's cliché'd lyrics, and if it doesn't have an ABABCB structure.

Is that why "Every Breaking Wave" was included in NLOTH's tracklist and excluded in the "last minute" from it?

To me, not only the "hey hey now" do not bother me as I think that the "I don't know if I'm that strong, etc..." and the lack of a proper radio-airplay-typical-chorus is waaaaay better than some of Bono's cheesiest lyrics. I only don't feel ashamed for Bono for writing lyrics such as «Baby every dog on the street knows that we're in love with defeat» (in fact, the whole chorus is painful) because he's done even worse. In fact, I think that folks here do not complain about it and uncritically accept it as a lyrical masterpiece because Bono has set the standard so low - specially over the past few years (let's not forget the averageness of "Mercy" original chorus transformed into the grievous «You wanna kill me and I wanna die/We were meant for each other, you and I/Like time in a bed of rust/Like the rhyme of love and lust»).

There's also this myth that if you keep repeating yourself someday you'll change minds. People were saying this song sounded incomplete back during 360(and U2 and co agreed), it had nothing to do with your theory.

I personally think the lyrics work pretty well. As simple as it is the "you go your way and I'll go mine..." and it's delivery of that line make this song. That delivery gets me every time. I also think the "every dog on the street" works well when being paired with sailors and gamblers. You'll find a lot of American literature that uses the term dog when speaking of the "degenerates" of society.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

There's also this myth that if you keep repeating yourself someday you'll change minds. People were saying this song sounded incomplete back during 360(and U2 and co agreed), it had nothing to do with your theory.

I personally think the lyrics work pretty well. As simple as it is the "you go your way and I'll go mine..." and it's delivery of that line make this song. That delivery gets me every time. I also think the "every dog on the street" works well when being paired with sailors and gamblers. You'll find a lot of American literature that uses the term dog when speaking of the "degenerates" of society.

If one of the other devotees here would not comment on what I wrote to readily defend it (specially being a negative point of view), that would really surprise me (I was already expecting one of you coming soon to do it).
Well, U2 also have many opinions about their own work and the fan community do not necessarily agree with them nor that's true.
I don't care with the "people say/were saying". I can formulate opinions without popular support and stand for it. So, I stick with the view that this lyrics chosen for the chorus are beyond tacky and that the former structure (and respective lyrics) were better or at least had more potential than "this".

I agree. I think people somehow get stuck on the early/live version of the song and can't bring themselves around to a newer (and far superior) version of the song.

The lyrics are great. The "every dog on the street" lyric is really good. As BVS rightly said, he's talking about people, not animals here. LOL

The big chorus gives me chills every time. The early version, just died after each verse, going into the sorta non-chorus, hey hey hey part. No momentum at all.

This is a classic U2 song, and could be in the same sphere as WOWY and One, if it were marketed and pushed properly.

I converted the videos to MP3-320 last night after listening
to this first Live show. I have been listening to them in my car
together with the new record and I must say that its a damn
great performance.

U2 "The Miracle" live unplugged @ Milano - Vidéo Dailymotion
U2 "Every breaking wave" live @ Milano - Vidéo Dailymotion

One thing that I must point out to Bono is to not force his voice too
much. He is loosing his breath in some parts. Starting to crack his voice on
some lyrics.
He should let the words flow naturally and without forcing the voice.
Way back when making the Unforgettable Fire he got some lessons on
how to not scream all the time into the microphone.
Sometimes a whisper has the same power and effect as a scream.
He must have forgotten all about that advice.
There is no need to scream or shout all the time in each song.

I agree. I think people somehow get stuck on the early/live version of the song and can't bring themselves around to a newer (and far superior) version of the song.

The lyrics are great. The "every dog on the street" lyric is really good. As BVS rightly said, he's talking about people, not animals here. LOL

The big chorus gives me chills every time. The early version, just died after each verse, going into the sorta non-chorus, hey hey hey part. No momentum at all.

This is a classic U2 song, and could be in the same sphere as WOWY and One, if it were marketed and pushed properly.

Again, the myth that every U2 song must be ABABCB and bulit in crescendo with no different dynamics from these.
Also, putting EBW in the same pedestal of WOWY or One... Well, no further comments.

:up::up::up::up::up:

I'm all out of thumbs.

Again, the myth that every U2 song must be ABABCB and bulit in crescendo with no different dynamics from these.

Also, putting EBW in the same pedestal of WOWY or One... Well, no further comments.

I believe we're talking about just this song, not EVERY song.

EVERY BREAKING WAVE - I´m pretty pissed it wasn´t full band performance, I´m sick and tired of Edge and Bono performances. If they think they can deliver the same magic as the whole band, they are wrong.

Moreover, Bono should maybe start taking some pills before going on the stage. His hystery and affect becomes unbearable. I thought he larned how to use his voice a bit.
:doh:

MIRACLE - it was okay, the song sounds better acoustic, same case like Cedarwood

EVERY BREAKING WAVE - I´m pretty pissed it wasn´t full band performance, I´m sick and tired of Edge and Bono performances. If they think they can deliver the same magic as the whole band, they are wrong.

Moreover, Bono should maybe start taking some pills before going on the stage. His hystery and affect becomes unbearable. I thought he larned how to use his voice a bit.

MIRACLE - it was okay, the song sounds better acoustic, same case like Cedarwood

maybe next time they could just do an Adam and Larry performance

I am not sorry if just bass and drums could make any of these new songs sound so well,
but it would be interesting to hear just Larry and Adam for a change.
One of their best performances together for me is still the "Mission Impossible" theme.
That song just rocks!

On a side note. No U2 on SNL in October. :(

I'm really puzzled as to no US promotion. damn.

There are plenty of promo opportunities for US without SNL. Truthfully that show is garbage anyways. I've not watched it in years other than a clip or two of something halfway decent on YouTube.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Good points.

I have problems with this song (the too-happy keyboards in the chorus), but they're not lyrical.

To me, the lyrics on the 360 version were worse. "I don't know if I'm that strong" is trite to begin with, and has been used by Bono already anyway.

They could do the U.S. promo tour in November.

They could, but then they would have to start building buzz from scratch again. Because beyond people like us, others will have forgotten that U2 even released a CD.

The Invisible Tour.
Promo by Larry: just put on our albums at home and listen to whatever songs you want. If you dont like that, I've got two words for you.

Have you heard the soundtrack version?

Million times better.

One of their most underrated songs.

A gem.

I respectfully disagree. The album version is okay but sounds distinctly dated by now. The St Patrick's Day version has all the dynamic delicacy that their live performances often lack. They're breathing with the same set of lungs.

You know he's always been like this, right?

Sent from my fingertips.

Back
Top Bottom