SOE Lucky 13: Dallas Lies in Vegas ...TONIGHT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not gonna read the last 60 pages... Did you all have a fun meltdown? :D
So U2 pulled a U2. I really wonder what they're thinking. But I said the same thing yesterday:
Maybe they really tried... but failed to get new songs work live
This is, as strange as it may seem for a super mega or whatever band, the most likely scenario. It explains the rehearsal time with Terry, the rumors from the arena and the actual gig. Simple as that: they really just couldn't nail the new song (s). And I think we're talking about finding a live arrangement that works. Not being able to play the notes.

So what does this mean for SOE? I still think we'll get a single this year. When is the award deadline again? I'd like to think they don't want to let that pass. Especially since the single is very likely done. Or are they so scared of a Pop scenario that they'd let it slip? I don't think so, especially because the tour seems locked in.
Looking like 2017 for the album though.

Not being able to play new songs is sadly symptomatic of too much button twiddling in the studio instead of actually playing together in a room. For mine if the studio process was more pure it'd be almost trivial to play those songs.

It just seems that they over complicate everything. Write some songs, get in a room and play them and capture this on the record. Why is it so hard?

I would say that they struggle with live arrangements because these songs have no natural arrangement.

Last edited:
So SOE is officially no quick follow-up a la zooropa. Maybe we'll get a quick follow-up to SOE. SOA. lol.... After the SOA and the way to SOI I'm very disappointed in this band.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

We can always comfort us that tonights performence could have been like these one-time perfromnce:

but obviously they didnt... But they could have been...

Isn't about Bono's activism. The bottom line is that they seem to spend 90% of their time on holiday and fucking around.

How can you collaborate with trendy new producers in an attempt to win over younger demographics if you don't have the urgency to release something within a reasonable time frame by putting in the hard work? That's the contradiction that bothers me.

With this performance tonight, the band officially applied for dinosaur act status.

I don't have enough respect left to continue as a fan on this level (being a daily participator of a fan forum). The post-Invisible delay was a bewildering slap in the face, but this seems to be doubling down on the same lack of confidence and resolve. It's too sad to watch from so close.

Enjoy the rest of the ride, everyone.

IMO this could work quite well, everyone still goes on about the iPhone thing so throwing a load of new songs at people who aren't really there for that could have also backfired, this could be the band easing themselves back into it

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well, I can't deny it's sad to wake up to this. I really thought we had a good shot of getting something new (though i didn't think it was guaranteed).

So does this pretty much confirm no album for 2016? I've heard Bono or Edge apparently said 2017 (and i'm jaded enough now to not think that's misdirection).

So i guess it wasn't misdirection that they couldn't get the new songs together live. Not sure if that means they just need more time to rehearse them, or if they need to seriously rip apart the recordings and change them until they're playable live. They could need another month to rehearse, or they could need another 6 to change the album.

It certainly seems that if they had been in final mixing stages since july, had a final single mixed by Lillywhite, had this gig to promote a new single... and still didn't release anything, that they're probably going to radically alter the album from here on out - if all it needed was tweaks i think they would've released by now. Kind of like after Invisible, they brought in Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth for another 6 months. I'm guessing they'll be working on Songs of Experience at least until next march.

So yeah, this ended up just like Invisible. Well, worse. At least we got a new song for that.

It's kind of frustrating me that they didn't even work together from july up until now. I know the rumours were it was mixing, and thus not something they participate in much, but i feel if they'd had a more hands-on role there would've been a better chance of releasing SoE by now.

So does this pretty much confirm no album for 2016? I've heard Bono or Edge apparently said 2017 (and i'm jaded enough now to not think that's misdirection).

Yes. In an interview broadcast before U2's set, Bono said the album will come out in 2017.

Sorry but what a horrible night. I worked until 12 am, woke up at 2 am, just to find out that is there is not a video stream anymore. So i rush to make my first U2.com subscribe to listen to a so-so best of show with a set list that couldnt be more dull. And finally no new music release. A boring speech about Trump and Bono saying that USA is the best idea ever in whole history?! Then 3 horus of sleep and back to work.
Just ridiculous.

Too bad about no new music. Still a chance at the Dreamforce show.

That said...Desire is back in the house ! That was awesome...

Yes. In an interview broadcast before U2's set, Bono said the album will come out in 2017.

Well hopefully that's early 2017, not late... But i really can't be bothered to speculate right now. This whole thing over the past few weeks has been exhausting. Possibly my lowest point as a fan (though admittedly my fault for getting so invested... but then what is a u2 fan supposed to do haha).

So, talking to people that were actually here to see U2, they were all much more happy than anybody in this forum. Hmm...

Sent from my SM-G930T using U2 Interference mobile app
So people who are in a city where they can literally do just about anything at anytime of day but choose to stand next to an arena in hopes of running into band members thought the show was just peachy?

Ya don't say...

Yeah like Laz said. Not investing any more time on this band when it comes to guessing release dates. When it comes out I'll obviously be excited and still see them on tour but they have wasted too much of my time over the years. Hopefully they enjoy their next vacation before deciding next year that the album still isn't ready.

Wow, that was brutal. Through all this, my optimism, it never dawned on me that they would be playing the festival because of some meager airplay they got a year and a half ago.

Well... my hope is that because this was an engagement that they promised to do, that it never was about debuting anything new, and the fact that they actually practiced new material means that the album is still imminent and they have other promo gigs in mind.

This leaves a huge question mark for Dreamforce.
Let's hope Bono, shuts the fuck up, drinks some tea, and they actually do some more rehearsal before that gig.

Maybe album released or release date given on 40th anniversary.

Catch ya all later.

I seldom post here but I've lurked often in the past 15 years. Don't want to be a downer, but as a one time massive fan who has defended the band in countless arguments I feel last night's performance helped me realize that the detractors were often right. Or at the very least, this band has become what many of them said they were. As a counterpoint, Billy Idol played a greatest hits set too but the man was in good voice and was very entertaining. Absent Miley's ridiculous profanity (even Billy Idol seemed uncomfortable with it) it was a pretty damn good performance start to finish. On the other hand, I'm afraid that U2 as we know them are done, they were the greatest for a long time, but now even their grey beard contemporaries are showing them up. Watch some recent Duran Duran, Cure, and Depeche Mode performances and you may feel the same way.
I sure hope I'm wrong, I quite like SOI, But after all the talk and anticipation that was a letdown. Hopefully the boys accept it as a reality check and really up their game... Being the best or just a great band is a full time job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom