SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin! - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #161
The Fly

Local Time: 09:11 AM
I would love to be listening to the full version of the album, with the bonus tracks, but I'm not sure how one does so.

On an unrelated note, this is my email address: jackmhicken@gmail.com

Old 11-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
God I love Summer of Love. The guitar is just so damn good. It’s so different, and right in every way. This is the unexpected brilliance of this album. Like Love is All and Red
flag Day. I didn’t see them coming and they are new and brilliant.
It's one of the rare songs where Edge's guitar riff acts as the chorus. Or it's the 2nd chorus

I know U2 wants that hit, and they'll probably always make the "big" song, but imagine an album of SOL, LL, Little things, etc

Just dark, and the hooks are there but Bono isn't trying to over sing them.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #163
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKKeR View Post
Totally agreed. These songs blew me away, I had no idea the band had these sorts of sounds in them. New, fresh, and interesting... in their 14th album. Amazing.
Summer of Love = SEX on Wax.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #164
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
Your Innocence + Experience Tracklist - U2 Feedback

Innocence + Experience tracklists
I keep modifying mine. There is no way I can keep it to 11 tracks.

I have them in a playlist now, and am refining for segues etc lol

https://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 11-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #165
Refugee

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Can anybody please PM me any link of BOOK OF YOUR HEART & LIGHTS OF HOME ( string version ) ?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #166
Refugee

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Little Things -> 13 is the best string of tracks they've had in a long, long time. And easily the best they've closed out an album
Old 11-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #167
Rock n' Roll Doggie

First time listening to the album on my PSB headphones...boy what a great album.....a lot of layers to it.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #168
The Fly

Local Time: 08:11 PM
I’ve never heard an album like this from them in my life. I’m only 23 but it’s really, just, wow guys. Good job. Please continue to make personal albums.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #169
Refugee

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Can anybody please PM me any link of BOOK OF YOUR HEART & LIGHTS OF HOME ( string version ) ?

hasinrhmn@yahoo.com
Old 11-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #170
War Child

Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
i guess you guys are more, like, devoted to U2 than I am, because I'm not into this album. it's just......not something I've wanted from U2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
It has nothing to do with devotion, you came in here several times and basically said you already made up your mind about this album.

I think looking at some of the louder detractors’ take on this album shows it’s not about, like, devotion.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasin73 View Post

hasinrhmn@yahoo.com
I sent you the actual files, let me know if you get them.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #172
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Wow. First full listen completed.
My first thought is, 'oops'. I've been pretty down on U2 lately, watching them follow a much younger pack, watching them burn credibility like its confetti. I thought, after the singles, this album was going to be painful on a few levels.

What I'm thinking after this first listen is that I was wrong. This album isn't following the pack. It is in the sense that it is poppy, it has very fresh production etc. But it's a heavy mother fucker. THere are songs on here that no-one else would have the gravitas to pull off. Lyrics that no one else has the backstory and experience to write, let alone sing.
Landlady - which is my favourite so far - reminded of Keith Richards 'How Could I Stop'. Not musically, but in that only someone like Keith could write a song like that and have me buy into it. After his life, his experiences, and his wife sticking in there and being his rock. Landlady is like that. A young man could not have written that.

Little Things - which is my favourite so far - does U2 at their best as well as anything since Ground Beneath Her Feet in my opinion. I thought City of Blinding LIghts was going to get there but it never quite did for me. This does. In a way only U2 can. But what makes it mature, what makes it a leader not a follower, is that heavy mother fucker of a lyric. That's heavy shit. Not many people have lived that. So how could they write it?

The second Lights of Home - which is my favourite so far - is just epic. Epic, melodic, sophisticated, deep, awesome.

I like the poppy middle too, a lot. Though while I like them they don't move me like the three mentioned above.

Wonderful.

Oh, and just to make a complete fanny of myself - i was listening on my quietcomfort35s while outside working with a pair of safety goggles on. About 3/4 into Little Things I had to take the goggles off. They'd gotten foggy. Didn't think U2 would produce another moment like that.

I said in another thread I probably won't buy this album - just stream it. Fuck that. I'm buying the extended deluxe and putting on the wall as a totem of musical resilience through a 40 year career.
Well done lads.
Oh this is great. I have a friend who is my best U2 friend, but up until ATYCLB. He hates or hates on pretty much everything since. Seeing you react so positively gives me hope that he will too. Sent him the songs over whatsapp laat night and he laughed when I said that Book of Your Heart has been getting achtung comparisons (I still haven't heard it btw). He then said he was abput to listen and that was the last I heard from him.

It's going tp be difficult to hate this one, right?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIS View Post
Oh this is great. I have a friend who is my best U2 friend, but up until ATYCLB. He hates or hates on pretty much everything since. Seeing you react so positively gives me hope that he will too. Sent him the songs over whatsapp laat night and he laughed when I said that Book of Your Heart has been getting achtung comparisons (I still haven't heard it btw). He then said he was abput to listen and that was the last I heard from him.

It's going tp be difficult to hate this one, right?
Sounds like one of those guys that "will want their money back if you are alive at 33". If they are open minded enough to take a subjective listen and not shut them down because they think they should have quit 25 years ago then they might like it
Old 11-26-2017, 10:13 PM   #174
Refugee

Quote:
The end of Love is Blindness? I mean - shit that's 26 years ago but I'm struggling to think of anything from Pop onwards that lifted and lifted and then exploded, while talking absolutely authentically about reality and heartache, like this song does.

I still think American Soul is pathetic. I don't feel sycophantic. It's just that, this is a really great album.
For me The Best Thing is the weakest. Not a fan of American Soul, but it forms a combo with Get out of your own way. Best thing sticks out like a sore thumb, especially after that incredible opening
Old 11-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #175
The Fly

Quote:
Wow. First full listen completed.
My first thought is, 'oops'. I've been pretty down on U2 lately, watching them follow a much younger pack, watching them burn credibility like its confetti. I thought, after the singles, this album was going to be painful on a few levels.

What I'm thinking after this first listen is that I was wrong. This album isn't following the pack. It is in the sense that it is poppy, it has very fresh production etc. But it's a heavy mother fucker. THere are songs on here that no-one else would have the gravitas to pull off. Lyrics that no one else has the backstory and experience to write, let alone sing.
Landlady - which is my favourite so far - reminded of Keith Richards 'How Could I Stop'. Not musically, but in that only someone like Keith could write a song like that and have me buy into it. After his life, his experiences, and his wife sticking in there and being his rock. Landlady is like that. A young man could not have written that.

Little Things - which is my favourite so far - does U2 at their best as well as anything since Ground Beneath Her Feet in my opinion. I thought City of Blinding LIghts was going to get there but it never quite did for me. This does. In a way only U2 can. But what makes it mature, what makes it a leader not a follower, is that heavy mother fucker of a lyric. That's heavy shit. Not many people have lived that. So how could they write it?

The second Lights of Home - which is my favourite so far - is just epic. Epic, melodic, sophisticated, deep, awesome.

I like the poppy middle too, a lot. Though while I like them they don't move me like the three mentioned above.

Wonderful.

Oh, and just to make a complete fanny of myself - i was listening on my quietcomfort35s while outside working with a pair of safety goggles on. About 3/4 into Little Things I had to take the goggles off. They'd gotten foggy. Didn't think U2 would produce another moment like that.

I said in another thread I probably won't buy this album - just stream it. Fuck that. I'm buying the extended deluxe and putting on the wall as a totem of musical resilience through a 40 year career.
Well done lads.
Glad to see that you found the leak and that you will be buying the album.

It is a very solid album that is lodging comfortably in my brain. The thing that strikes me about the album is that it seems so joyful, even when dealing with some heavy topics. I know it is too early for me to rank this album in their catalog, but I haven't been as excited by a U2 album this much since ATYCLB - and I enjoyed the hell out of that one (still do).
Old 11-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #176
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow Loris View Post
I started off feeling the same way about American Soul, but now that I can hear the atmospherics of the album, I am appreciating it much more. I especially like the "Brother John" background vocals. Very psychedelic Beatles, and with a 70s groove.
Totally agree. I was very negative about the song at first, but in the context of the album, I'm actually starting to like it.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #177
Refugee

Local Time: 05:11 PM
I promised myself I would not wear myself out on Songs of Experience like I did SOI.

I'm finding it very, very hard so far.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:22 PM   #178
The Fly

Has anyone listened to SOI and SOE back to back?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #179
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychobabble View Post
Has anyone listened to SOI and SOE back to back?
Brilliant idea Also a good question - can't say I have yet
Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #180
Blue Crack Supplier

LIBTAIIW is the Broadway sound they’ve been trying to write for years. It could be in Dear Evan Hansen and no one would bat an eye.

Such colossal emotions. It’s full-on cheese, but it works.

SOL and Little Things and Landlady are the ones sticking right now. And RFD.