SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m digging Red Flag Day. The band sound more naturally agile than they have in years - after the forced funk of Stand Up Comedy I thought their hips had left them for good. Kudos to Larry too, it feels like he’s stepped up a gear.

Blasted Red Flag Day from my car today. It's a song that I think gets better each listen.

Several posters have mentioned it, but what really sets this album apart for me is the strength of the lyrics. I have enjoyed a lot of their post-2000 work, but will admit that they were not as strong as they previously been when it came to the lyrics. This album very much bucks that trend.

And LIBTAIIW is going to be the closing song on the E&I Tour. Calling it now. Or maybe it leads into Streets. I don't know.

Wow. First full listen completed.
My first thought is, 'oops'. I've been pretty down on U2 lately, watching them follow a much younger pack, watching them burn credibility like its confetti. I thought, after the singles, this album was going to be painful on a few levels.

What I'm thinking after this first listen is that I was wrong. This album isn't following the pack. It is in the sense that it is poppy, it has very fresh production etc. But it's a heavy mother fucker. THere are songs on here that no-one else would have the gravitas to pull off. Lyrics that no one else has the backstory and experience to write, let alone sing.
Landlady - which is my favourite so far - reminded of Keith Richards 'How Could I Stop'. Not musically, but in that only someone like Keith could write a song like that and have me buy into it. After his life, his experiences, and his wife sticking in there and being his rock. Landlady is like that. A young man could not have written that.

Little Things - which is my favourite so far - does U2 at their best as well as anything since Ground Beneath Her Feet in my opinion. I thought City of Blinding LIghts was going to get there but it never quite did for me. This does. In a way only U2 can. But what makes it mature, what makes it a leader not a follower, is that heavy mother fucker of a lyric. That's heavy shit. Not many people have lived that. So how could they write it?

The second Lights of Home - which is my favourite so far - is just epic. Epic, melodic, sophisticated, deep, awesome.

I like the poppy middle too, a lot. Though while I like them they don't move me like the three mentioned above.

Wonderful.

Oh, and just to make a complete fanny of myself - i was listening on my quietcomfort35s while outside working with a pair of safety goggles on. About 3/4 into Little Things I had to take the goggles off. They'd gotten foggy. Didn't think U2 would produce another moment like that.

I said in another thread I probably won't buy this album - just stream it. Fuck that. I'm buying the extended deluxe and putting on the wall as a totem of musical resilience through a 40 year career.
Well done lads.

Holy fuck, this album is great. I just listened to it for the first time and while the singles are the weakest tracks they work well on the album. The sequencing and pacing are spectacular.

Other random thoughts:

- it's pretty high energy and doesn't sound forced
- Adam has a bunch of great parts
- Bono's best album since Zooropa. There are some clunky lyrics but way more good ones, and his voice sounds great. The melodies are the real star though. The verses are so strong they could be choruses. He goes deep, too.
- Lights Of Home is Zep as fuck, and the orchestral version is as epic as they've ever been. Speaking of epics...
- Little Things....holy shit. Peak U2. Sequencing it after the Showman was clever!

Best U2 album in 20 years. It's great. I'm fucking shocked and ecstatic. It's a glorious, complete work. I'll pretend that the godawful Kygo remix isn't sitting there like a turd on the edge of the plate.

Holy fuck. I am SO happy to read this review. So many glowing over the top reviews that I wanted to hear one from someone I knew wouldn’t hold back if they thought it was weak.

I wanted to make sure I wasn’t crazy for loving it so much

Glad you love it. It’s stunning. That’s about the best word I can use.

Wow. First full listen completed.
My first thought is, 'oops'. I've been pretty down on U2 lately, watching them follow a much younger pack, watching them burn credibility like its confetti. I thought, after the singles, this album was going to be painful on a few levels.

What I'm thinking after this first listen is that I was wrong. This album isn't following the pack. It is in the sense that it is poppy, it has very fresh production etc. But it's a heavy mother fucker. THere are songs on here that no-one else would have the gravitas to pull off. Lyrics that no one else has the backstory and experience to write, let alone sing.
Landlady - which is my favourite so far - reminded of Keith Richards 'How Could I Stop'. Not musically, but in that only someone like Keith could write a song like that and have me buy into it. After his life, his experiences, and his wife sticking in there and being his rock. Landlady is like that. A young man could not have written that.

Little Things - which is my favourite so far - does U2 at their best as well as anything since Ground Beneath Her Feet in my opinion. I thought City of Blinding LIghts was going to get there but it never quite did for me. This does. In a way only U2 can. But what makes it mature, what makes it a leader not a follower, is that heavy mother fucker of a lyric. That's heavy shit. Not many people have lived that. So how could they write it?

The second Lights of Home - which is my favourite so far - is just epic. Epic, melodic, sophisticated, deep, awesome.

I like the poppy middle too, a lot. Though while I like them they don't move me like the three mentioned above.

Wonderful.

Oh, and just to make a complete fanny of myself - i was listening on my quietcomfort35s while outside working with a pair of safety goggles on. About 3/4 into Little Things I had to take the goggles off. They'd gotten foggy. Didn't think U2 would produce another moment like that.

I said in another thread I probably won't buy this album - just stream it. Fuck that. I'm buying the extended deluxe and putting on the wall as a totem of musical resilience through a 40 year career.
Well done lads.

Loving these reviews!!! Well said man.

I don't want to write too much because I've only listened to it once and need more listens.

Everyone said that Songs of Experience should be the least attempt at relevance and that there should be a Songs of Ascent for the fans. Songs of Experience is an album for the fans. It's U2 loving and appreciating everything. It's subtle, it's different, and its destructive. It's like the anti-Achtung Baby thematically, but with all the nuance.

Love is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way and following up with 13 is perhaps the saddest thing I've ever heard from this band. I'm devastated in all the best ways.

same. it's been how long since they had a moment like that?

The end of Love is Blindness? I mean - shit that's 26 years ago but I'm struggling to think of anything from Pop onwards that lifted and lifted and then exploded, while talking absolutely authentically about reality and heartache, like this song does.

I still think American Soul is pathetic. I don't feel sycophantic. It's just that, this is a really great album.

Just noticed that in the leak Kendrick Lamar is all in American Soul instead of cropped between Get Out Of Your Own Way and American Soul like the Apple Music version.

I’m dying to see the production credits. The unreleased songs on are on a completely different level. It’s so noticeable. I’m intrigued as to know how much Andy Barlow was involved here. Perhaps he’s their new Eno.

The end of Love is Blindness? I mean - shit that's 26 years ago but I'm struggling to think of anything from Pop onwards that lifted and lifted and then exploded, while talking absolutely authentically about reality and heartache, like this song does.

I still think American Soul is pathetic. I don't feel sycophantic. It's just that, this is a really great album.
I started off feeling the same way about American Soul, but now that I can hear the atmospherics of the album, I am appreciating it much more. I especially like the "Brother John" background vocals. Very psychedelic Beatles, and with a 70s groove.

Can't really argue with that. The album is lyrically really strong except for American Soul and Best Thing.

American Soul is easily my least favorite on the album, but I don't think it's *that* bad.

Agreed. If you were to separate the songs out individually then it's probably the worst on it, but it does sound much better in the context of the album. I have no idea why it was released as a single though.

I started off feeling the same way about American Soul, but now that I can hear the atmospherics of the album, I am appreciating it much more. I especially like the "Brother John" background vocals. Very psychedelic Beatles, and with a 70s groove.

I'll give you the background vocals. That I admit is cool. And I too got that late-60s Beatles from it. Fair point. And I do love the rhythm section on this song.
But lyrically - it's dead to me.

So. Who wants to see them perform the orchestral Light of Home with a decent string section and all necessary backing musicians, on a massive platform - ie Grammys or similar?

I do miss the piano on Little Things. I find it really adds to the atmosphere in the Kimmel performance. The vocal is better there, too. (Maybe listening to that performance for months has coloured my expectations.)

Slow, you and I think very alike! I was thinking exactly the same thing about lights and book of your heart! :)
Yes, we must have similar tastes! I really believe Book of Your Heart deserves to be on the proper album. The ending is epic, (and the first half also very alluring with its electronic elements). Also maybe the best lyrics on the album.

Damn. I'm itching to hear this. But I want to wait until Friday...maybe my cd copy will arrive early in the post?

Anyone else think that Love is All We have Left would've fitted very well on the new Blade Runner movie?

I do miss the piano on Little Things. I find it really adds to the atmosphere in the Kimmel performance. The vocal is better there, too. (Maybe listening to that performance for months has coloured my expectations.)

What replaces the piano on the album version?

How's the atmosphere on this album? One thing that struck me about SOI was the complete lack of atmosphere. Where the songwriting was (personally) quite good that record really lacked that ethereal element that was at the heart of all the best U2 albums - the backdrop and soundscapes.

Synths and some quiet guitar. Piano shows up later, but it's pretty buried and soft, and Edge plays fewer chords.

Cheers!

I know I might get killed for saying this, but the last 40 seconds of "Walk On" did that for me.

Back
Top Bottom