SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On about my 10th listen through the album, I actually think songs 3-5 do a lot to keep the album from being OVERLY heavy and emotional. To some extent they serve as a breather between what came before on the album and what's to come. I am really appreciating this album as album, and not just a collection of songs, or even a collection of connected songs.

Huh.... just was interested in your thoughts on the album man. I guess you posted about it being your first listen and hoped nobody cared. My bad.

Sorry, I missunderstood you :reject:
When I read the "lol" in your post I thought you where joking with me.

Last years I got the feeling that nobody want me here anymore.

Sorry :wave:

Sorry, I missunderstand you :reject:
When I read the "lol" in your post I thought you where joking with me.

Last years I got the feeling that nobody want me here anymore.

Sorry :wave:

No problem at all. No harm. I've known you on here for a long time, so i really want to hear what you think. Hope you love it!

I kind of hate to say this, as I don't wish illness or tragedy on anyone, but dang. Whatever that health scare was, it's the best thing to happen for Bono's songwriting in aaaaaaages. .

This is interesting, and something I was pondering myself. Not to make light of it, as you said, but they do deliver more in the midst of struggle or real risk, whether it be proving themselves as a group in the early days, or some of the more personal strife that opened the door to the 90's material. In certain respects the 2000-2010's has been their most 'comfortable' period, until now, and that change seems to be reflected in the album.

I actually think it's one of the more standout vocal moments he's had in a long time.

I'm on Red Flag Day now.
The intro song was really good, really intressting choice to have as an opener.

Red Flag is the best one yet.
I must have a few listens on the other songs to make up my mind.

What hits me is that all songs so far share a common athmosphere. Whats come up in my mind is a roadtrip album, sitting in a car listening to this.

Ooo, there comes the tears, Little things,... This song is very emotional to me, first time I played it was when my fourth child just have been born.

I'm on Red Flag Day now.
The intro song was really good, really intressting choice to have as an opener.

Red Flag is the best one yet.
I must have a few listens on the other songs to make up my mind.

What hits me is that all songs so far share a common athmosphere. Whats come up in my mind is a roadtrip album, sitting in a car listening to this.

Ooo, there comes the tears, Little things,... This song is very emotional to me, first time I played it was when my fourth child just have been born.

Landlady reminds me alot of EBW, the melody in Bonos singing.

On about my 10th listen through the album, I actually think songs 3-5 do a lot to keep the album from being OVERLY heavy and emotional. To some extent they serve as a breather between what came before on the album and what's to come. I am really appreciating this album as album, and not just a collection of songs, or even a collection of connected songs.

That's an interesting viewpoint and I suppose, if you like the songs, they serve that purpose.

I was listening to Pop all the way through for the first time in ages recently and by the end of Wake Up Dead Man it really struck me just how despairing, cynical and bleak the album was. The last section of that album is very heavy in particular. Brilliant it is of course but with not the album you want to listen when you want a range of emotions from light and dark.

Very impressed with what they've come up with. Lot's of big tunes, especially, Little Things, Lights Of Home, Red Flag Day.

The Showman is definitely the weakest track on the album for me at the moment. And it's the one track when you see the tracklist that you just dont expect to be disappointed in. It jumped out at me as big tune, sadly it's falling flat

Very impressed with what they've come up with. Lot's of big tunes, especially, Little Things, Lights Of Home, Red Flag Day.

The Showman is definitely the weakest track on the album for me at the moment. And it's the one track when you see the tracklist that you just dont expect to be disappointed in. It jumped out at me as big tune, sadly it's falling flat

Yeah, American Soul and The Showman are still my bottom two. I was hoping showman would grow more than it has. Still second weakest imo

Yeah, American Soul and The Showman are still my bottom two. I was hoping showman would grow more than it has. Still second weakest imo

Keep listening to it and you might like it a little more better.

In all seriousness, it's a bit of a throwaway song, but I love the way Bono sounds on it. Very playful and youthful, and I love the fact that he is making fun of himself.

Back
Top Bottom