SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think U2 is still releasing an album this year??? ;)

I am surprised there hasn't been a few more leaks. We did get the video of GOOYOW last week which was a nice little tease.

Not sure we get a new single next week, so I hope people are prepared for just the announcement. I expect a full track listing, and possibly articles in the coming days after the 20th describing the tone and flow of the album. Something more than Bono-isms "Punk Rock & The Supremes"

I'll be on a silent retreat for nearly two weeks, so that'll help kill some time before the album drops. Even though it's only been just over three years from SOI, it feels like 10 years thanks to Trump. Time has stood still

I haven't expected too much recently. I've actually been surprised at the cool stuff that we've gotten, multiple videos and the GOOYOW leak. But then when you get nothing for a while it sucks. Them being on tour doesn't help.

I'm with you. I think we get the tracklisting and it gets put up on iTunes and Amazon, etc... for preorder. I think a new single that day is not really likely. I would think they might drop that more towards early November, but who knows.
Would be cool if they gave the ability to preview the studio versions of the Blackout and Little things on digital services. But also unlikely.

Bono's use of the singular 'name' is proper here because of the 'no' (as in zero quantity) preceding it. The singular is determined by the quantity zero ('no'), not by the plural 'Streets'.

If the title was 'Where the Streets Have Many Names', for example, then the plural form of the word would be necessary and proper.

You're absolutely right.

Bono's use of the singular 'name' is proper here because of the 'no' (as in zero quantity) preceding it. The singular is determined by the quantity zero ('no'), not by the plural 'Streets'.

If the title was 'Where the Streets Have Many Names', for example, then the plural form of the word would be necessary and proper.

I can't believe I'm actually responding to this, but "no" does not always refer to "zero," and when it does the use should be plural.

Which reads correctly?
There is zero street in this town.
There are zero streets in this town.

In the case of the song, I would argue that multiple streets would be expected to have multiple names, so the plural would be more correct.

Should "no" be followed by a singular or a plural noun? - English Lessons in Brighton

Last edited:
I think the place where all of these streets exist is singular. The place is the subject.

I don’t know about all this street vs streets crap but I know “a boy” is some messed up shit!

I still like the song though.

I am in the wishful thinking "we will get a song" boat IF the 20th ends up being an album pre-sale announcement . Then guessing we will see the video release coincide with Dia de los Muertos a few weeks later.

I am basing this off of my timeline observations of iTunes history for the artists that I have followed in the last year or so...

Most start with releasing just a single with no album info (like TBT).

Then about a month later the pre-order info is released with another song (read somewhere they sometimes call it a "gratis song" if not an official single) to help pre-order sales.

Then in the time leading up to the album release, anywhere between 1 or 2 more songs are released.

If U2 follows this pattern I would guess it is more than likely to get a song when the album goes up for pre-order. While we do know U2 works on songs up until the final moments (which could be a factor in how many pre-album songs get released), it would look as though GOOYOW is done.

Last edited:
I am in the wishful thinking "we will get a song" boat IF the 20th ends up being an album pre-sale announcement . Then guessing we will see the video release coincide with Dia de los Muertos a few weeks later.

I am basing this off of my timeline observations of iTunes history for the artists that I have followed in the last year or so...

Most start with releasing just a single with no album info (like TBT).

Then about a month later the pre-order info is released with another song (read somewhere they sometimes call it a "gratis song" if not an official single) to help pre-order sales.

Then in the time leading up to the album release, anywhere between 1 or 2 more songs are released.

If U2 follows this pattern I would guess it is more than likely to get a song when the album goes up for pre-order. While we do know U2 works on songs up until the final moments (which could be a factor in how many pre-album songs get released), it would look as though GOOYOW is done.

I admit, i am trying to keep my expectations low. It would make sense, and follow other artists pattern if they did release another single when they announced the tracklisting and put it up for pre-order. But I'm trying not to let myself get disappointed.

I admit, i am trying to keep my expectations low. It would make sense, and follow other artists pattern if they did release another single when they announced the tracklisting and put it up for pre-order. But I'm trying not to let myself get disappointed.

that makes sense ... Even though I think there is a good chance, I also am trying to keep expectations low.

I would be quite surprised if we didn't get a new song with the album announcement. Why announce the album so long after the first single drops if you weren't going to release a new single then?

The only other reason I could see the delayed announcement is if they're going to drop the entire album at once again... only this time they released the single ahead of time so that it wouldn't get lost in the suffle. I think the odds of this are remote, but I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

By all accounts, TBT was the radio song that U2 was going to try and get their relevancy back.

If you release a new song next week, you kill off your best song (for radio). TBT has been a slow grower over the last month, and I would think they'll hit the song hard after next week on all the talk shows.

If the song doesn't bump up the charts at a quicker pace, you release the new single closer to the album release date

By all accounts, TBT was the radio song that U2 was going to try and get their relevancy back.

If you release a new song next week, you kill off your best song (for radio). TBT has been a slow grower over the last month, and I would think they'll hit the song hard after next week on all the talk shows.

If the song doesn't bump up the charts at a quicker pace, you release the new single closer to the album release date

The best thing isn't going to be "that" hit single. It's not going to happen. I love the song myself but this song isn't going to be a hit

It's likely not going to be huge "hit", but so far when everything is considered it is really their best performing song since "Vertigo". That's what the number say at least. There's a detailed thread about it if you don't believe us.

It's likely not going to be huge "hit", but so far when everything is considered it is really their best performing song since "Vertigo". That's what the number say at least. There's a detailed thread about it if you don't believe us.

From a US radio play standpoint...true (almost bigger than the “other” Bomb singles. But chart wise...not yet(I’m optimistic).

However, I think U2 wanted a radio hit more than anything else(my guess of course). I mean Boots hit #37 on the Hot 100 and then fell off the chart within 3 weeks(radio stopped playing the song just as quick). The only reason it charted was because U2 fans like Ax and Headache went out and bought the single ;) no, but really U2 fans are the reason it charted because we bought it. You look back and you can say it was a top 40 hit but no one will remember it. Whereas a song like TBT has already received more cumulative airplay than Boots ever had and it’s still peaking every day. The non-U2 fan is more likely to have heard TBT than Boots at this point and I think that is more important to the band(again, I’m assuming).

With that said what TBT has done on radio isn’t huge but it’s decent so far and can become a modest hit, especially for a band approaching 60 with a lead singer who dresses like an old version of Corey Feldman.

I like the song and I’m pulling for it to break through.

It should be Where The Street Has No Name or Streets Have No Names. No question.

Bono fucked up.

Acronym would remain the same though, Headache, right?

How many streets do you know that have multiple names for one street?

Where the streets have no names sounds lame as fuck! That S sound really ruins it!

What about Songs of Experiences ?

Or are all the songs about the same experience?

We will just have to make U2 write a song called Fresh and Furious.

If I ever meet Bono I'm asking him to call a song Fresh and Furious and then I'll laugh when it's announced it's on the album and this place freaks out

"Fresh and Furious" was on the same album as "manhattan", "skyline" and my favorite, "smash and grab". Amirite?

What about Songs of Experiences ?

Or are all the songs about the same experience?

Well there are experiences (micro events you observe or participate in) and there is experience (the value assigned, be it wisdom, knowledge, skill acquisition etc, to the sum total of these events).

These songs are about the latter.

I mean Boots hit #37 on the Hot 100 and then fell off the chart within 3 weeks(radio stopped playing the song just as quick). The only reason it charted was because U2 fans like Ax and Headache went out and bought the single ;) no, but really U2 fans are the reason it charted because we bought it.

You know, if Boots had come out about 18 months earlier you'd have been right. :lol:

And The Best Thing is not and will not be a hit. Saying it's the best-charting single since Vertigo is about as meaningful as saying I'm bla bla bla Crazy Tonight was U2's best-charting single starting with the letter I since If God Will Send His Angels.

"Fresh and Furious" was on the same album as "manhattan", "skyline" and my favorite, "smash and grab". Amirite?

Earth 2030 forever.

I can't believe I'm actually responding to this, but "no" does not always refer to "zero," and when it does the use should be plural.

Which reads correctly?
There is zero street in this town.
There are zero streets in this town.

In the case of the song, I would argue that multiple streets would be expected to have multiple names, so the plural would be more correct.

Should "no" be followed by a singular or a plural noun? - English Lessons in Brighton

1. you have no street cred.
2. you have many street creds.

see how well that works?

now let's go have a few drinks and eventually we'll agree it all makes sense.

1. you have no street cred.
2. you have many street creds.

see how well that works?

now let's go have a few drinks and eventually we'll agree it all makes sense.

A single street in both examples you provided, and street cred is a single concept that grows as one entity. No-one has multiple ‘creds’ but they might have lots of ‘cred’.

Fucking autocucumber

Last edited:
This is why I live and work on the red line.

People rag on Metro, but it beats the hell out of traffic.
They both suck.

I only have to take the Metro 4 stops and work directly above a large station served by three different lines, and I miss the 7 train, which are words I never thought I'd ever say.

The traffic, tho.

They should rename L'Enfant Plaza L'Ididntanticipatethemotorcarandmystreetdesignsucks Plaza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom