SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, well whatever it was that happened (if there was something at all... love RD's contributions here but this sort of cryptic stuff is not productive IMO) they seem to be fully past it. The band is energized, is wrapping up a huge and we'll received tour, and is on the cusp of putting out a relatively quick follow-up up with 3 very solid song that have gotten great reactions this far.

I'd say they are in a pretty good spot at the moment. If this is the last album cycle or second to last (RD's hints about Songs or Ascent ARE exciting!) I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it, and I hope they do too.

Yeah the band seem fine. I guess I read it as a marriage thing. But speculation is stupid, cupid.

Yeah the band seem fine. I guess I read it as a marriage thing. But speculation is stupid, cupid.

Non of us know what's up with Bono or the band or what the future holds for them, but let's just take a minute and relax until they announce or make a statement on whatever issues they are having. It is no point to worry and freak out right now. Ofcourse we wish Bono and co the very best but let's not jump the guns and assume it it's the worst because we simply just don't know! Just enjoy the moment now as we are on the verge of a new album. I am sure u2 would want us to enjoy this moment and not worry about anything. When they are ready to tell us something is wrong, I'm sure they will. And if this is the last album, I will forever be greatful to them for all the amazing music they have given us. I grew up with u2 like many of us have and their music has been by my side through tough moments and nothing will ever take that fact away. So let's all enjoy the fact that we have another album and tour ahead of us! With all that said, I hope if there is an issue I hope it's not health related, we certainly want to see the members of our favorite band be healthy and happy for many years to come wether there will be a u2 band or not after this album.

Maybe Bono just had a little health scare that turned out to be nothing, or easily treatable. He had a similar thing happen in the time between Popmart and ATYCLB, which required throat surgery.

If it were something that presented an immediate threat, I don't believe they'd be pushing so hard with this stadium tour and then the new album, and another tour next year.

Yeah. I think the lyrics from Best Thing says exactly this?

"You're the best thing about me... The best things are easy to destroy... Why am I walking away?.. "

Also "I can see you love her loudly, when she needs you quietly". This reminds me of when Bono explained Ordinary Love. He said Mandela and Winnie had extraordinary love for each other but not the ordinary everyday love.

So apparently no album date announcement date on Fallon... can't believe they didn't pair this big week of promo with an album release date. Just so weird.

I mean, I know NYT confirmed it as the 1st and Bono said it was the 1st of December, but still...

I guess we'll get the tracklist/artwork/pre-order with the next single, which will probably come out after the JT tour ends? Just a guess.

I really think they are past whatever issues came up last year and if they're not past them, why in the world would they do TJT this year. Also Bono said if this is their last album, not this is our last album. Him saying if says to me who knows what the future holds. I'm sure there's a plan for SOA in a few years and that could be it. How about one more album after that and call it Man so we know that's it. ;)

I really think they are past whatever issues came up last year and if they're not past them, why in the world would they do TJT this year. Also Bono said if this is their last album, not this is our last album. Him saying if says to me who knows what the future holds. I'm sure there's a plan for SOA in a few years and that could be it. How about one more album after that and call it Man so we know that's it. ;)

Assuming it was illness that delayed SOE last year, then yes, you would assume t is either gone, or not an imminent threat with the touring. The third leg baffles me, but there you go.

And any references to "last album" have been firmly in the context of Bono's writing process, and him getting across what he wanted to if it was he case.

No panic.

Assuming it was illness that delayed SOE last year, then yes, you would assume t is either gone, or not an imminent threat with the touring. The third leg baffles me, but there you go.

And any references to "last album" have been firmly in the context of Bono's writing process, and him getting across what he wanted to if it was he case.

No panic.

Perhaps the 3rd Leg NA was to get $ to make the SA tour happen? It's hard to serve 2 masters, TJT and SOE, and I think they are ding the best they can. SOE last year would have probably equaled no TJT this year and it's curious the reason for the SOE delay was politics. I don't think that was cover for issues BC I don't think they would do that, most likely in addition to the politics reason.

Overall they seem reenergized this year so barring anything unforeseen happening I think we have a lot of U2 left. :). People thought there would be no more U2 almost 30 yrs ago.

j7b9ej1c_1vlsn4g_rffe7b.png

No panic.

It's not over until they says it's over, full stop. You need an album billed as the final album, a tour billed as the final tour, and the last show billed as the final show, etc. U2 are businessmen; when they retire, they will milk it for all it's worth.

And even then they could come back. The only way to top a farewell is a comeback. So if they retire in 2020, I bet they do a reunion tour in 2026 as the 50 year tour

Last edited:
It's not over until they says it's over, full stop. You need an album billed as the final album, a tour billed as the final tour, and the last show billed as the final show, etc. U2 are businessmen; when they retire, they will milk it for all it's worth.

And even then they could come back. The only way to top a farewell is a comeback. So if they retire in 2020, I bet they do a reunion tour in 2026 as the 50 year tour

Yeah. I'm not saying that's necessarily how I want them to handle it, but I think you outline a realistic scenario. It would be very weird for them to retroactively announce that a tour was their last. That would blindside a lot of people. And leave a lot of money on the table.

I think their eventual reunion tour will include a new album. 5 years after their retirement, Bono's going to have a few pints of Guinness with The Edge, and The Edge is going to bring out a guitar and say "Hey, tell me what you think of this, I've just been noodling around," and play some cool riff, and off they will go for one last run at it.

I remember in U2 by U2, B-man does make mention of having a scare and being in the operating room in the little johnny; the problems with his vocals. I wonder if something similar cropped up but more serious? And he does looked to have aged a lot more than Larry, Adam or Edge.

Meh, hopefully it's behind him.

As anyone would, I also hope it's behind them.

It seems to be. They're very energized by the JT tour and are as relevant now as they've been in a number of years. They also seem to be enjoying themselves more than they and we thought they would.

Bono has definitely aged more than anyone else recently.

I have an unofficial U2 calendar that I get every year from some site in the UK. One of those knock off places that mis spells things and gets tour names or songs wrong. I like it for the big performance pictures of the band each month.

I flipped the page one day and it really hit me. It was a close up of what clearly was 2011 Bono- the 360 terminator man era and it is really striking how much he's aged since then.

2010 and 11 he looked young and dare I say pretty "cool." Part of it is aging but I think part of it is also the hair and attire choices. It's getting long now and not doing him any favors...

Back
Top Bottom