Soe 26 - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh trust me, I know of the Fallon week cancellation better than anyone here... I guess enough time has gone by

Unforgettable Fire were scheduled to be a part of the week. They had a sketch planned that would have involved UF and U2. I was on to work it with UF. We don't know what the details were or what it would have included beyond being scheduled at a bar in midtown not far from 30 Rock, but it was obviously cancelled after Bono smashed his head on the road.

Oh that sucks balls. Sorry man, that had to be a huge letdown.

Conan, the guy who wanted so badly to have U2 on his show that he gave them an entire episode before it was common practice to do so, doesn't like U2?

Interesting.

The Boston Irish man doesn't like U2 is like saying Bono hates to talk.

I think The Blackout has some of the most introspective lyrics Bono has written in a long time, maybe since Pop... but all you fuckers can't talk about it Ned and Fred.

The song is killer. Fred. Jack. Zack. All names in my immediate family. Ned not so much, so it's impossible for me not to think of them of course.

What''s the song about Suticase?

I think it's about the band on stage. But again, it could be about Bono's poor eyesight.

If they do Fallon this week, then I hope for Colbert during the tour or around album release date. I think he would have a great interview with the band.

As for Conan, I don't know if he has the ratings or reach at TBS for U2 to go on his show. They haven't appeared on his program since 2005.

Am I the only one who thinks at least Bono and Edge will get roped into Car Pool Karaoke with James Corden?

So I admittedly pay attention to the lyrics more now after the "kneel/feel/steal/heart" fiasco on HTDAAB, but it is worth noting that upon hearing three early songs from SOE we see the word "mouth" in each one, alluding to it being "big", "in the way", or "shooting it off". I do hope we see more layers and landscapes to the words on this album, as that is some of what I love about this band's catalogue. It's a big ask for a band 30 years in, but still.

I think The Blackout has some of the most introspective lyrics Bono has written in a long time, maybe since Pop... but all you fuckers can't talk about it Ned and Fred.

Blackout is a smash. With all the talk about lyrics, we can't forget what Bono did with lyrics for SOI songs (didn't he say the lyrics for Invisible evolved like three different times, each time capturing broader/more abstract themes?). It'll be interesting to hear him tell the story of how the lyrics for Blackout evolved.

The middle ("Go easy on me...") distinctly reminds me of what they were doing with I Will Follow on the Elevation tour. They brought in this slow, middle part with a bunch of jazz chords and Bono would sing "Ring those bells Edge..." Then the song lit back up. I saw them do this at MSG (6/17/01) and the crowd went absolutely nuts when that middle transition hit. The middle of Blackout sounds strikingly similar.

It's probably unlikely, but if they go on Fallon, it would be an ideal situation to debut the song Bono wrote about his little bike tumble.

Shame it's called Much More Better though.

All I could think about during the Detroit show last night was how Larry's haircut must surely mean that he's on board with the new album! Every time they focused on him on the big screen my confidence in SOE grew.

It's probably unlikely, but if they go on Fallon, it would be an ideal situation to debut the song Bono wrote about his little bike tumble.

Shame it's called Much More Better though.

Prediction time. Let's say they play 2 songs on Fallon. Will 1 of them be a Joshua Tree song? Seems like we may have passed that point?

Prediction time. Let's say they play 2 songs on Fallon. Will 1 of them be a Joshua Tree song? Seems like we may have passed that point?

Even without the JT Tour I'd probably bank on one older song at this point in their career though.

I'd be blown away if they did "Exit" on any late night show!

(*let me dream if I want to*) :D

and wow, woah, Headache what a story :sigh: (half a miracle B really didn't damage himself cognitively) U2/UF back then!

(I know the one where Edge & Adam showed up at the UF gig! )

Last edited:
For Falon, The band is in a weird position right now.
The tour is winding down. Doing more promo for that seems useless at this point. Selling another thousand 35 dollar tickets is sort of a stupid thing to focus on.
Obviously the new single will be played and talked about, but would they really want to play The Blackout as well? Possibly overshadowing the new single???
Or play another JT song :| which says hey here's our brand new single, album coming in December, but remember, we're super old, and here's a song to remind you of that... :doh:

We shall see.

New single plus a song from TJT.

My money is on In God's Country or With or Without You.

It's easy to forget IGC was a single, but further, Bono could put a positive spin on the anti-Trumpsim by giving his "new dreams tonight" speech. It has some greatly renewed energy on this tour, and could be a good angle to sell the remaining tickets.

A great performance of WOWY could be a good reminder of just how good this band was, and if the single really is a good song, could be a good juxtaposition for showing that there is life in them yet.

I wonder if The Blackout will get released as a promo single to stations at some point. It's already actually gotten a view spins on 1 AAA station even in the "live video" form.

Should have gone to Colbert. Maybe during the actual promo tour?

yeah Stephen seems to be a better choice, but considering Edge is based in LA (or at least he owns a home in LA), i guess going for Conan seems to be more reasonable? I'm not sure. actually, in terms of selection of artists, Conan and Stephen are killing lately

Blackout is a smash. With all the talk about lyrics, we can't forget what Bono did with lyrics for SOI songs (didn't he say the lyrics for Invisible evolved like three different times, each time capturing broader/more abstract themes?). It'll be interesting to hear him tell the story of how the lyrics for Blackout evolved.

I kinda thought it sucked how abstract the final words for Invisible were. I always prefer lyrics to be more personal and idiosyncratic - especially when a song is autobiographical. I much prefer the first verse quoted by Bono in the video below:

I'm thinking at the speed of sound
Unblinking eyes on the underground
I got a rhythm track
6 am, Waterloo, in the station sleeping next to you
You and I are not turning back

I kinda thought it sucked how abstract the final words for Invisible were. I always prefer lyrics to be more personal and idiosyncratic - especially when a song is autobiographical. I much prefer the first verse quoted by Bono in the video below:

Strongly agree. The final "Invisible" lyrics are mostly notable for taking a cheap shot at Disney's "Frozen," of all things. The lyrics you quoted are kind of emotional for me. :sad:

Too often this band scrubs anything personal or interesting out of their music for the sake of mass appeal. What they end up with, after rewrites and tinkering, is just boring.

I'm thinking at the speed of sound
Unblinking eyes on the underground
I got a rhythm track
6 am, Waterloo, in the station sleeping next to you
You and I are not turning back

I agree, although Bono's tinkering has probably also resulted in better lyrics for some other songs. The Frozen reference in Invisible is fairly terrible.

Is it really a reference to Frozen? For me, those lines mainly call to mind Acrobat ("What happened your face of melting snow?").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom