Soe 26 - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is so funny. Last year this time around I had never imagined that we will hear The Best Thing for the first time on a tour celebrating 30 years of The Joshua Tree

So when I wake tomorrow morning I'll be able to listen to the new u2 song

I think that track list has been floating around for a while - probably fake.

As for YTBTAM, I wouldn't place all my bets on them playing it tonight.

Ok folks. Here's a cool little article by Alan Cross. He talks about TBT release.

Interesting parts:

He's perplexed that they didn't put The Blackout on streaming and download services.

The band is shooting for more radio play this time around. By releasing on Wednesday they get it in front of radio program managers earlier, when they are deciding what new tunes to add for the week.

That said, Cross says that TBT is the most pop song in the album.

So I would welcome all those who keep talking about U2 being too pop and not great anymore to - shut up until we hear an actual collection of songs

Here's the link.

Enjoy!

A Journal of Musical ThingsSome Thoughts Ahead of Wednesday's Release of a New U2 Single-And a Lost Opportunity - A Journal of Musical Things

Last edited:
I think that track list has been floating around for a while - probably fake.

As for YTBTAM, I wouldn't place all my bets on them playing it tonight.

Agreed. I think they may want to practice a while before playing it the first time. Think it will make its debut after Wednesday, but would be cool if it were tonight :)

Ok folks. Here's a cool little article by Alan Cross. He talks about TBT release.

Interesting parts:

He's perplexed that they didn't put The Blackout on streaming and download services.

The band is shooting for more radio play this time around. By releasing on Wednesday they get it in front of radio program managers earlier, when they are deciding what new tunes to add for the week.

That said, Cross says that TBT is the most pop song in the album.

So I would welcome all those who keep talking about U2 being too pop and not great anymore to - shut up until we hear an actual collection of songs

Here's the link.

Enjoy!

A Journal of Musical ThingsSome Thoughts Ahead of Wednesday's Release of a New U2 Single-And a Lost Opportunity - A Journal of Musical Things
It's interesting that he talks about the possibility of this being a finale for them with the Live Nation deal up in 2020.

I guess it's their last album.

I guess it's decided then. Straight from the horse's mouth!

Interesting about the LN contract stuff, but who's to say they haven't renegotiated in recent years or won't when it's up? U2 still makes them a lot of money.

I don't think SoE will be their last album or tour but I could see them taking a 5 year break before coming back for one last hurrah.

If this was the last album and tour I'm pretty sure livenation would be shouting it from the roof tops. Maybe there's still time for them to do that.

Really hope when they do decide to call it a day they have one last tour just for us fans. Not just vanish like R.E.M. Did

I don't think SoE will be their last album or tour but I could see them taking a 5 year break before coming back for one last hurrah.

I could see them releasing what's left of SOA in some fashion, ie maybe just a fan bonus or a full on album with little hype/fanfare as a thank you to their fans in the next 3 years than maybe after that a really long break like you said and one final album after that. And after they retire I hope they open up their vaults and release unreleased material, but whose to know how much good unreleased music they have. Probably mostly alternate takes to already released songs mostly. Which would be very fine by me!

"Guy Oseary knows how to read the tea leaves of social media metrics, so maybe the song was some kind of sacrificial lamb, statistically speaking."

Is Blackout okay?

I wouldn't be shocked if they kept going, not would I be shocked if they dropped one last attempt at mass appeal with this album and then followed it up with a final, atmospheric Songs of Ascent and called it a day.

can confirm that there's a loose plan, and it looks an awful lot like this

It'll be a bit of a heartbreak if these guys call it a day
Edit: of course they could just scale it back after the deal with LiveNation ends and continue to release music, but it will be the end of something.
Edit Edit: Grrrr... sorry about that

can confirm that there's a loose plan, and it looks an awful lot like this

Would be thrilled if that's the case. Plus if they do a more atmospheric/ethereal/reflective final album, then they can probably pair that with a huge farewell tour that doesn't put those new songs front and center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom