SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got most of the lyrics together.

A blackout is just an excuse ...???... we see

"Is this an extinction event we see?" That's what I'm getting anyways.

As for the song, I dig it. Better than Boots and Miracle by a longshot, slightly better than Vertigo, but not quite as good as Elevation (but I love that song, so I'm biased). Love the repeated chorus at the end. Sounds very Achtung Baby-ish.

I love the rhythm and groove of it, the chorus is pretty cool and it's nice to hear Bono being a little political for once, but there's not enough Edge which makes this a 7/10 for me. Might change when I hear the studio version, I don't like this mix that much

They would never do it but I could see them closing shows with this. A simple rearrangement of the ending of the song so it's more sudden with a final shout "When the lights go out!" and the lights all go out at once. Would definitely end the shows on a high.

Adam and Larry shine.

I'd love for Edge to play the guitar again during verses. He seems to go into the same style as Vertigo/Boots/Miracle where he does the bare minimum and feel like he could have brought more during those parts. I'm fine with his playing during the chorus.

The beginning sounds like Glastonbury with the screeching guitar

The way the song pulses and is gritty is great. Very impressed, blows away most of their recent material. I hear shades of the Crystal Ballroom with quite a bit of EBTTRT.

It's weird. I feel like the sum of the parts is better than the whole. I love the intro, I love the verses, I love the bridge, and I'm ok with the chorus. But as a whole, I'm still kind of underwhelmed.

Don't want to cloud Interference with extra negativity so I will only say that I'm having to come to terms with U2 not being able to offer me much any more.

Without Eno and Lanois, U2 in their 50s have become the band of GOYB, except un-ironically now. Very very odd to have witnessed.

Certain parts of the song are not bad. :up:

Making a bit more progress on the lyrics. The first line is something like "A dinosaur wonders why it's still on... (tilt?) of the Earth, yeah."

"Is this an extinction event we see?" That's what I'm getting anyways.

interesting lyric -- and likely a Trump reference, who has been called an extinction even in terms of Western (or at least American) democracy.

maybe they really weren't totally pulling stuff out of their asses when it came to the election delaying the album.

I've got most of the lyrics together.

??? ... earth
A meteor promises its not gonna hurt, yeah
Earthquakes always happen when you're in bed, Fred
The house shakes
Maybe it was something I said, Ned

The first line is "Dinosaur wonders why he still walks the Earth"

A little tongue-in-cheek self reflection? I like!

Well, it took me a few listens to get into it but now I think IT'S REALLY GOOD. The bass and rawness is quite something.

I know we haven't heard the final version of The Best Thing yet, but I think they're making a mistake releasing that as a first single. The Blackout is going to end up getting the most attention.

Making a bit more progress on the lyrics. The first line is something like "A dinosaur wonders why it's still on... (tilt?) of the Earth, yeah."

Think it's "A dinosaur wonders why it's still of the Earth, yeah".

Never mind, a more reasonable guess above.

It's weird. I feel like the sum of the parts is better than the whole. I love the intro, I love the verses, I love the bridge, and I'm ok with the chorus. But as a whole, I'm still kind of underwhelmed.

I know what you mean. It’s like everything doesn’t add up to a whole, take the bits they are great but doesn’t come to together as it should somehow.

Finally, after all those years, a U2 with a instrumental intro worth listening just for the sake of hear the instruments. When was the last time U2 had a good intro?

high-fidelity-it-s-really-fucking-good-o.gif

It's not bad. It certainly doesn't seem like a classic though and you would think after they have spent a good part of the last three to five years recording this album, we would get something a bit better. Doesn't have the wow factor.

It's not bad. It certainly doesn't seem like a classic though and you would think after they have spent a good part of the last three to five years recording this album, we would get something a bit better. Doesn't have the wow factor.

They could spend 20 years recording an album and there'd still be people who wouldn't be crazy about the songs. See also: Chinese Democracy.

Thanks everyone. Full lyrics:

A dinosaur wonders why it still walks the Earth, yeah
A meteor promises it's not gonna hurt, yeah
Earthquakes always happen when you're in bed, Fred
The house shakes
Maybe it was something I said, Ned

Go easy on me
Easy on me, brother
Go easy on me
Easy on me now

When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
The darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

Statues fall and democracy is flat on its back, Jack
We had it all, and what we had is not coming back, Zach
A big mouth says the people they don't want to be free, for free
A blackout is just an extinction event, we see

Go easy on me
Easy on me, brother
Go easy on me
Easy on me now

When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
The darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

When the lights go out
Oh, oh
When the lights go out
Oh, oh
When the lights go out

When the lights go out
Blackout, it's clear
Who you are will appear
Blackout, no fear
So glad that we are all still here

When the lights go out

Don't want to cloud Interference with extra negativity so I will only say that I'm having to come to terms with U2 not being able to offer me much any more.

Without Eno and Lanois, U2 in their 50s have become the band of GOYB, except un-ironically now. Very very odd to have witnessed.

Certain parts of the song are not bad. :up:

U2 might be a shadow of their past glory, but this song is not the clumsy copy-and-paste job of Boots.

I expected something lame like Boots/Miracle, or something unoffensive but unexciting like Invisible, so I'm pleasantly surprised it outdoes those. Bono's probably the weak link. The rest of the band are on form, especially Adam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom