SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it was on youtube, 2m views in 18 hours wouldn't be too shabby!? Could have been more possibly if it was on youtube and more widely available??

Not shabby - not worldbeating either. Definitely more views (and dumber comments) if it was on YouTube.

I don't mind at all that some are underwhelmed by the song, but the rampant ageism is kinda grating. Why is it unbelievable that rock bands over 50 may just organically want to rock. They are a rock band, right?
We moan about people not giving U2 a shot because they are old, and lament that attitude, but many of us are guilty of that same prejudice. If you don't like the song, that's fine. But don't say you dont like it because u2 are too old to play rock. They are a rock band. Then of course you complain about them not changing direction. Maybe the change of direction is that they want to become rockier. Age has nothing to do with it.

I still am not sure what to say about it. Listened to it more than a few times, but it's still too soon to say whether I like the song because I like the song or because its U2. I'll say this: the instrument playing is as tight as ever. Edge, though unspectacular (because this song is all about the drum and bass) is making some good statements.

If the most prevalent line wasn't one of the most overused hip hop/pop tropes (second only to "in the club") then it wouldn't be so "on the nose" due to their age. 55-60 year olds talking about "when the lights go out" can easily be seen negatively. That is nothing to do with them being a rock band that wants to rock, that's them being a rock band that wants a superficial connection with tweens.

That said, I really like the song, and can easily deal with that line being there. Lots of potential for the album in this song.

If the most prevalent line wasn't one of the most overused hip hop/pop tropes (second only to "in the club") then it wouldn't be so "on the nose" due to their age. 55-60 year olds talking about "when the lights go out" can easily be seen negatively. That is nothing to do with them being a rock band that wants to rock, that's them being a rock band that wants a superficial connection with tweens.

That said, I really like the song, and can easily deal with that line being there. Lots of potential for the album in this song.
I get your point a bit, but isn't that you projecting your idea of what 55-60 year-olds should be putting on their songs instead of taking it at face value.

I would agree with the characterisation that they are chasing the white whale of youth if the song sounded forced and cobbled together, presumably in search of an elusive formula that delivers hitz. Miracle sounded like that. This doesnt... yet.
Also, 'lights go out' is not a throwaway line if the song is about finding yourself in the surreal chaos of a terror attack, or an event that is beyond the pale. In that case its pretty integral.

I get your point a bit, but isn't that you projecting your idea of what 55-60 year-olds should be putting on their songs instead of taking it at face value.

I would agree with the characterisation that they are chasing the white whale of youth if the song sounded forced and cobbled together, presumably in search of an elusive formula that delivers hitz. Miracle sounded like that. This doesnt... yet.
Also, 'lights go out' is not a throwaway line if the song is about finding yourself in the surreal chaos of a terror attack, or an event that is beyond the pale. In that case its pretty integral.

No - it isn't me projecting my ideas, it is me relating societal norms and values. You may feel they are wrong, but they exist. Perception is reality when it comes to marketing and sales, and that is exactly what this is.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is the most promising thing they could possibly have done short of ignoring the kids and making an art-house atmospheric song.

No - it isn't me projecting my ideas, it is me relating societal norms and values. You may feel they are wrong, but they exist. Perception is reality when it comes to marketing and sales, and that is exactly what this is.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is the most promising thing they could possibly have done short of ignoring the kids and making an art-house atmospheric song.
Okay, so not your projection, but a relating of wider societal norms and values. They exist. A lot of things exist. And I know you are not one of those saying that they shouldnt be rocking out at this stage (I dont think it was you), but are you saying that u2 should bend to those perceptions, values or norms? If you are, I respectfully disagree. I know they have always sought relevance, but I prefer when they seek it with good music rather than the right 'type' of music.

Okay, so not your projection, but a relating of wider societal norms and values. They exist. A lot of things exist. And I know you are not one of those saying that they shouldnt be rocking out at this stage (I dont think it was you), but are you saying that u2 should bend to those perceptions, values or norms? If you are, I respectfully disagree. I know they have always sought relevance, but I prefer when they seek it with good music rather than the right 'type' of music.

I'm not saying they should do anything other than what they want to - that doesn't mean others who feel it is embarrassing for guys that old to be doing what they do can't feel that way either.

Like I said, I am very happy with this from them right now. I can understand why others don't agree with me. I have to say, my wife isn't the biggest fan, and I was almost embarrassed to play her the 15 second clip because it was only the chorus. The reason I felt that way is because a lot of people think they are too old to be pandering to children.

Last edited:
I don't mind at all that some are underwhelmed by the song, but the rampant ageism is kinda grating. Why is it unbelievable that rock bands over 50 may just organically want to rock. They are a rock band, right?

Nope. They're a full-time ambient band that should shun the guitar for the only 'good' music they're capable of making on later albums. Or something. :rolleyes:

Not really. If they wanted the 'tween' connection, we would have seen the hip hop collaborations and electronic beats by now. They're in their 50's, but it doesn't mean you automatically sing about Metamucil and senior citizen discounts at that age.

Not really. If they wanted the 'tween' connection, we would have seen the hip hop collaborations and electronic beats by now. They're in their 50's, but it doesn't mean you automatically sing about metamucil and senior citizen discounts at that age.

You mean like Kygo?

Or the other collabs rumoured last year (DJ Khalid, Skrillex et al?)

Again, I don't disagree with the underlying premise, but the argument loses all credibility when these are the examples.

Should they sing about discounts? I mean, if we win arguments by disengaging with content and being facetious, sure.

I think it's just about disaster in general that happens all the time and good will always prevail eventually. Meteors wiping out dinosaurs, earthquakes (physical and maybe relationships, arguing "in bed"). "Big mouth" could be directed at Trump or just yourself/himself being a bit mouth. Freedom and democracy are also themes. You can associate it with terror I guess since that's a disaster itself. That's what's always been great about Bono you can take what he says literally or relate it to something else entirely. What did Harvey dent say in the dark knight rises? The night is always darkest before the dawn.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they should do anything other than what they want to - that doesn't mean others who feel it is embarrassing for guys that old to be doing what they do can't feel that way either.

Like I said, I am very happy with this from them right now. I can understand why others don't agree with me. I have to say, my wife isn't the biggest fan, and I was almost embarrassed to play her the 15 second clip because it was only the chorus. The reason I felt that way is because a lot of people think they are too old to be pandering to children.

I dont think I said that people cannot feel that way. My problem, or slight annoyance if you will, is with those feelings superseding the qualities of the song itself when evaluating its merits. And as you mentioned, a lot of people thinking that they are pandering to children is a projection by those people of how a rock band in their 50s should behave.

Just like it's a commonly held perception that a band shouldnt force an album of theirs to your phone. But that it completely overshadowed the discussion of the merits of SOI is very unfortunate.

Even that is not a perfect analogy. Then U2 were a party to that decision. Here, their pandering is all supposition.

I dont think I said that people cannot feel that way. My problem, or slight annoyance if you will, is with those feelings superseding the qualities of the song itself when evaluating its merits. And as you mentioned, a lot of people thinking that they are pandering to children is a projection by those people of how a rock band in their 50s should behave.

Just like it's a commonly held perception that a band shouldnt force an album of theirs to your phone. But that it completely overshadowed the discussion of the merits of SOI is very unfortunate.

Even that is not a perfect analogy. Then U2 were a party to that decision. Here, their pandering is all supposition.

But your assertion assumes that having those feelings supersede the components of the song you value more isn't legitimate.

If a person thinks that people that old playing pop music like this is not something they enjoy, it's their loss. There's no point or value in railing against that.

Either way, we can agree that it was great to see Bangladesh put in a good performance and finally get some recognition as one of the the better teams in test cricket at the moment.

I'm definitely in the younger demographic of U2 fans and I like this a lot. If this was released by a younger band I think it'd definitely make some inroads with younger people, alas, it's U2 so it'll probably go nowhere.

U2 should have gone the route of Manudo!!

Listen to the latest songs by The Killers (the song The Man is utter crap) and Coldplay, two bands that had supposedly surpassed U2 over the past decade in relevance, and then Blackout. I'd say U2 are again teaching the kids how to rock. Leaders, not followers of trends or pandering.

Also, Blackout has nothing to do with terror attacks. As the Washington Post says, democracy dies in darkness. It's about finding your way in an age of that who shall remain nameless. I don't want to start a political debate.

I hear a song that fits in the new trilogy of albums. It's most reminiscent of the SOI b-sides that I enjoyed so much, with a light dusting of Volcano and All bc of you.

I don't see how this song is about a terror attack whatsoever.
Maybe not terror attacks specifically, but ordinary people getting caught in a catastrophe/unforeseen threat kind of thing. The lyrics talk about a meteor that promises it wont hit, an earthquake happening while you are in bed.... which reminds me of how we think we will react when something like a terror attack or extinction event happens -- we often think we'll be ready or at least in a state to react in some way. The contrast with the security in some of the verses and the insecurity in the chorus is what makes me think that, as well as that headline that someone posted of an early review, which set me thinking along those lines.

And Go easy on me is another bit that points to the terrorism aspect.
And even if it is, that chorus is awfully jaunty for a song about a terror attack.

I mean, what does "throw yourself about" mean in that context???

https://youtu.be/xK4Ixy2tjd8
Haha. Exactly. I was about to reply to you earlier saying that its not the lights go out that seems superfluous or put there to catch young ears, its the throw yourselves about. Maybe Bono thought that it was a trendy way to say get out of the way... or you know... Get on Your Boots.

And the jaunty bit in a song about a dark subject. Thats what U2 do. In God's Country

But your assertion assumes that having those feelings supersede the components of the song you value more isn't legitimate.

If a person thinks that people that old playing pop music like this is not something they enjoy, it's their loss. There's no point or value in railing against that.
Sorry, but not when it comes to criticising a song on its own. Criticising a band, yes of course its legitimate. But when you are criticising a song, it should be about the song shouldn't it?

"An earthquake happening while you are in bed" this is more or less what we felt in Europe with Donald Trump. We went to bed with Hillary certainly elected and woke up with Donald Trump. In the context of the song I can presume the Trump election may be in there.

Yea just because one website dropped one line everyone thinks it's about terror now.

I don't see it even in the least, and I think people are trying to shoehorn that idea that one site (Entertainment Weekly, not exactly a source known to be close to the band) three out there.

I think this song is pretty clearly autobiographical, and is about the band, or Bono specifically, dealing with the fallout from the last few albums and their perceived loss of relevance in the mainstream.

Big Mouth is Bono.

I can see the argument that it's about Trump as well... but in no way can I see this lyric as being about the aftermath of a terror attack. It doesn't fit unless you foce it to fit.

Last edited:
Yea just because one website dropped one line everyone thinks it's about terror now.

I don't see it even in the least, and I think people are trying to shoehorn that idea that one site (Entertainment Weekly, not exactly a source known to be close to the band) three out there.

I think this song is pretty clearly autobiographical, and is about the band, or Bono specifically, dealing with the fallout from the last few albums and their perceived loss of relevance in the mainstream.

Big Mouth is Bono.

I can see the argument that it's about Trump as well... but in no way can I see this lyric as being about the aftermath of a terror attack. It doesn't fit unless you foce it to fit.
I can certainly see that, and the opening line about dinosaurs wondering why they are still around backs it up.
But I'm just wondering who the hell are Ned, Jack, Zack etc?

I think we place too much importance on needing to have an opinion and needing to justify it

I'm loving the song. that's all :up:

The breakdown is another indication that it is about the band. "So glad that you are all still here"

The dinosaur walking the earth is Bono, the old man still trying to be relevant. Actually the self deprecation in this song is the most Achtung Baby thing they've done in 26 years.

Actually, fairly certain this is just about the band and the fact that they have had some recent misses. They use some current political imagery to reinforce that point, not the other way around

I just wish Bono didn't rhyme "back" with "back".

Statues fall, democracy's flat on its back, Jack
We had it all and what we had is not coming back, Zach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom