SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they really been lacking this sound lately, though? The Miracle, Volcano, Cedarwood, NLOTH, Boots, SUC, Breathe, Vertigo, ABOY... If anything, they've leaned on a rock and roll sound more in their late career than ever before. Personally, I prefer more atmospheric/introspective stuff (like Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Moment of Surrender, Being Born, Iris, Troubles, etc) and find that sound far more appropriate for the band's age.

I don't think they are ever going to top Vertigo for a pure rock and roll hit - I wish they'd stop trying and find something new.

I agree with most off this. So far I quite like the blackout but after about 20 or so listens I'm still not loving it, but that doesn't mean i won't. It doesn't have those majestic, hair standing up on the back of your neck moments that all great u2 songs have. Just going to have another listen.

Have they really been lacking this sound lately, though? The Miracle, Volcano, Cedarwood, NLOTH, Boots, SUC, Breathe, Vertigo, ABOY... If anything, they've leaned on a rock and roll sound more in their late career than ever before. Personally, I prefer more atmospheric/introspective stuff (like Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Moment of Surrender, Being Born, Iris, Troubles, etc) and find that sound far more appropriate for the band's age.

I don't think they are ever going to top Vertigo for a pure rock and roll hit - I wish they'd stop trying and find something new.

This.

Though I disagree with the characterisation of The Blackout with those songs. It's funkier, dancier, and a bit more 'natural'. Would not at this point characterise it as straight up rock and roll on the vein of Miracle, Vertigo et al.

Last edited:
It's not a perfect comparison for sure. All those songs go in their own direction in different ways.

So far what I've found most interesting/novel from the new album is The Little Things. Not sure how much I like it, but it feels new (well, apart from the ending music, with the most U2-cliche drumming and guitar ever).

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer more atmospheric/introspective stuff (like Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Moment of Surrender, Being Born, Iris, Troubles, etc) and find that sound far more appropriate for the band's age.

You nailed it.

This is why most of SOI, bar the last few songs, sounds dumb. The worry here is that The Blackout is a continuation of this misplaced old man bombast. Its the sound of a band trying too hard.

I'm pretty jazzed about The Blackout, honestly. It's a song that actually feels cool, rather than trying as hard as it can to be cool. Basically, more Reach Around than The Miracle. I dig it, really liking that they're going in the funkier direction rather than the capital R rawk direction (not quite chasing that Vertigo sound anymore, thank god). Gotta love that bass line.

Well that's one solid song off the album. Next up is The Best Thing, which is catchy as fuck, though hopefully flows a lot better than the Kygo version. And of course there's Little Things, which I already think is kind of great and very excited to hear how it sounds on the album (my one issue is the transition to the "sometimes" part which feels a bit clunky).

Personally, I prefer more atmospheric/introspective stuff (like Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Moment of Surrender, Being Born, Iris, Troubles, etc) and find that sound far more appropriate for the band's age.

While I tend to like their introspective/atmospheric stuff more in general, I think their late career efforts in this area are pretty hit or miss. As is their HTDAAB type "rock n roll" sound.

Oddly enough I think their recent poppy stuff works the best, especially if it's got a hint of classic U2 in it. So yeah, the hypothetically "easiest" material for them, but they can still nail it when they want to (I honestly think Invisible is maybe best song they've done in a decade or so).

Last edited:
Woke up, listened, still really liking it, defiantly has a swagger that has been missing for their first releases since vertigo, and I have to say I am enjoying it more than vertigo

1.7m views on Facebook in less than 24 hours, not even sure if any of their videos on YouTube have that amount of views?

1.7m views on Facebook in less than 24 hours, not even sure if any of their videos on YouTube have that amount of views?

Ordinary love did pretty well. I think this song is going to have a fairly unprecedented impact.

Casual fans: not super stoked.
New fans: lots of them, pretty happy.
Diehards - 80s-90s purists: range from 'meh' to 'interesting'
Diehards - 00s: ZOMG!?!!?! Best evahhhh!!!!!
Diehards - U2 careerists: really solid song, fresh, interesting.

Old songs don't tend to accrue views the same way hot new releases do, so I don't think it's entirely fair to make comparisons with pre-YouTube singles. But Miracle, Boots, Ordinary Love, Invisible, songs of that ilk are fair game. Definitely will be interesting to see how Blackout and Best Thing do up against those.

I'm reading a lot of comments like "I want to hear the album version."

Have we confirmed that this isn't the album/studio version, simply with crowd noises mixed in? I'd be really surprised if U2 released a genuine live track for something like this.

That doesn't mean the song won't change by the time the record comes out (it probably will), but I'm not convinced this is really a live version.

I'm reading a lot of comments like "I want to hear the album version."

Have we confirmed that this isn't the album/studio version, simply with crowd noises mixed in? I'd be really surprised if U2 released a genuine live track for something like this.

That doesn't mean the song won't change by the time the record comes out (it probably will), but I'm not convinced this is really a live version.

I am pretty sure we've only got one guitar track, which is rare even in simple songs - Edge always adds fills etc, and there are some production values that seem very 'live', but I don't think it is confirmed, no.

I'd be surprised if this is the final album version on those things, and I'd have mixed feelings on that. It'd be refreshingly raw, but possibly too simple with some missed opportunity to add texture (surely this is what Edge was tinkering with all this time).

Bono's vocals seem a bit too polished to be a single live take. Could be a mix of each of the 5 takes, or studio vocals.

I am pretty sure we've only got one guitar track, which is rare even in simple songs - Edge always adds fills etc, and there are some production values that seem very 'live', but I don't think it is confirmed, no.

I'd be surprised if this is the final album version on those things, and I'd have mixed feelings on that. It'd be refreshingly raw, but possibly too simple with some missed opportunity to add texture (surely this is what Edge was tinkering with all this time).

Bono's vocals seem a bit too polished to be a single live take. Could be a mix of each of the 5 takes, or studio vocals.

Yeah. Perhaps it's a "live in studio" track (ala ASOH on WAIA) that was lip synched in front of an audience for the video.

Any reports from the video shoot?

Yeah. Perhaps it's a "live in studio" track (ala ASOH on WAIA) that was lip synched in front of an audience for the video.

Any reports from the video shoot?

I believe the video shoot was live with Bono doing some live vocals and some pre-recorded. I would have to dig for the reference though

After hearing the song about 20 or 30 times I think the best description is "Achtung Baby meets the Arctic Monkeys".
And I f*cking like it!

After hearing the song about 20 or 30 times I think the best description is "Achtung Baby meets the Arctic Monkeys".
And I f*cking like it!

I hadn't made the Arctic Monkeys comparison myself, but now you mention it I can totally hear it. There is a certain quality that AM have (that I love) that can only be described as oiliness - and this song has that. Alex Turner is the king of it - he can't help but inject it into his songs. AM the album, and the recent Last Shadow Puppets albums both have plenty of it.

I think it is the combination of the rolling, funky bass line, flowing vocal melody that isn't over-strained in the verses, and a drum beat that just keeps it kicking.

I hadn't made the Arctic Monkeys comparison myself, but now you mention it I can totally hear it. There is a certain quality that AM have (that I love) that can only be described as oiliness - and this song has that. Alex Turner is the king of it - he can't help but inject it into his songs. AM the album, and the recent Last Shadow Puppets albums both have plenty of it.

I think it is the combination of the rolling, funky bass line, flowing vocal melody that isn't over-strained in the verses, and a drum beat that just keeps it kicking.

I played the song for my partner this morning, and the immediate response was: "It sounds like the Arctic Monkeys!".

Bono was doing karaoke.
Although you can hear a lot different sounds going on in the video. In the venue it sounded more raw.
Thats why i didnt recognise the 'being born' clip.
Seems like a hybrid.

Just to clarify - Bono doing karaoke would be him singing live to a completely pre-recorded band. From the reports, this seems to be the opposite (I know you were there, so would be good to clear it up).

So were the band live, but Bono pre-recorded, or was Bono live and the band pre-recorded?

I played the song for my partner this morning, and the immediate response was: "It sounds like the Arctic Monkeys!".

Nice how people are getting different things out of this. I totally hear it now, but wouldn't have thought of it without prompting.

I still don't hear any Achtung Baby, except the intro. It's more Pop to me. Sounds to me look a hyped-up, beefed-up Do You Feel Loved? once the intro ends, mixed with Volcano (just the bass, which was awesome).

Waiting for the album version (=studio version?) of The Blackout to make a final judgement.

Right now (I won't say anything about the video, just the song)

- Adam owns the song
- Edge does interesting stuff in the verses , don't like the chorus guitar part
- Drums sound very "live" in parts
- Bonos's singing is OK, I don't get annoyed by any oh-oh-ohhhs .. I like the softer "ah-ah-ah-ahh" .. haha

There are some nice breaks in the song, I don't like the chorus though.

73,000 likes/reacts
30,500 shares

All in under 18 hours. Great effort for a band in their late 50s supposedly past it. Imagine the Rolling Stones getting that reaction for a new track.

73,000 likes/reacts
30,500 shares

All in under 18 hours. Great effort for a band in their late 50s supposedly past it. Imagine the Rolling Stones getting that reaction for a new track.

Approaching 2m views now as well, and its only been out there for 17 hours. Is that good these days? Really hard to gauge how things compare these days!?

Why am I nervous about best thing next week? Surely they can't mess up the choice of lead single 3 albums on the bounce

Whys it coming out on a Wednesday aswell? Thought new music came out on a Friday

Approaching 2m views now as well, and its only been out there for 17 hours. Is that good these days? Really hard to gauge how things compare these days!?

It can't possibly be judged, because it isn't up on youtube. People have to go to their facebook page to view.

Seems like a lot to me considering the fact that it is only available there.

The Best Thing will surely be put out on youtube, and will be a good indication.

I am liking the strategy though - "hey everyone, we're back - here's a song to get you started" and then into full single promotion later. It makes them look less desperate than in recent times, but also gives them two bites of the cherry.

Why am I nervous about best thing next week? Surely they can't mess up the choice of lead single 3 albums on the bounce

Whys it coming out on a Wednesday aswell? Thought new music came out on a Friday

Depends on what you mean by "mess up" and how you are defining success.

Do you want them to top the charts with the single? If they don't, is it messing up if none of the songs would have achieved that?

I think they are making a better choice than the previous few albums, if only for the chance at something different. The Best Thing has a summery, dancey, breezy vibe to it that a lead U2 single has never had before. Not even Discotheque. In that respect, I am happy.

I am really enjoying The Blackout but I'm glad it isn't the single - it is different, and fresh - but not different enough to the casual listener.

It can't possibly be judged, because it isn't up on youtube. People have to go to their facebook page to view.

Seems like a lot to me considering the fact that it is only available there.

The Best Thing will surely be put out on youtube, and will be a good indication.

I am liking the strategy though - "hey everyone, we're back - here's a song to get you started" and then into full single promotion later. It makes them look less desperate than in recent times, but also gives them two bites of the cherry.

Even if it was on youtube, 2m views in 18 hours wouldn't be too shabby!? Could have been more possibly if it was on youtube and more widely available??

I know someone mentioned much earlier in the thread that Jolyon Thomas had liked the video/preview, but he has also retweeted the second preview 24 second video of the Blackout on his tweeter feed. Pointing to him as producer still??

I don't mind at all that some are underwhelmed by the song, but the rampant ageism is kinda grating. Why is it unbelievable that rock bands over 50 may just organically want to rock. They are a rock band, right?
We moan about people not giving U2 a shot because they are old, and lament that attitude, but many of us are guilty of that same prejudice. If you don't like the song, that's fine. But don't say you dont like it because u2 are too old to play rock. They are a rock band. Then of course you complain about them not changing direction. Maybe the change of direction is that they want to become rockier. Age has nothing to do with it.

I still am not sure what to say about it. Listened to it more than a few times, but it's still too soon to say whether I like the song because I like the song or because its U2. I'll say this: the instrument playing is as tight as ever. Edge, though unspectacular (because this song is all about the drum and bass) is making some good statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom