SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anything that can be described as "this will help attract the youngsters" should be immediately scrapped.

I don't see why...
I'm 18 and love U2 since i'm a child and it saddens me to see that people of my age listen to commercial music on the radio and dislike U2 because this is a old band no one is still listening to. I do think that the Best Thing would be a great song to introduce young people to U2. With the Kygo remix, i see a chance to change how some people of my age see U2.

They've always wanted to be relevant and TBT could help them to find their image among the youngsters back which would be a great thing IMO.

I wonder if it's changed at all?

I would guess the re-recording with Lillywhite to give everything a 'live feel' would likely produce some changes.

I bet for most of their new songs, if they truly went for a more raw, stripped down sound, there might've been some flaws/lack of strong moments that couldn't be hidden by lavish production, necessitating a few changes.

thinking of it, U2 made Joshua Tree when they were 27. isn't that kinda surreal? i mean they were so young. i guess i can say the same thing to other bands but think about it, man

Not specifically... thought atu2 seems pretty confident about it

Let's see what July/Aug brings us.. Perhaps a summer single?

I guess it depends on how much time the band want to give between the album and lead single?

For example, the National just released a single 4 months in advance of their album. But Arcade Fire just released a single only two months before their new album.

So (assuming December 1 it's accurate), maybe we'll see something in August, but maybe we'll have to wait until late September/ early October, as the JT tour wraps up (assuming new dates are legit).

As mentioned before, it would be crazy to do anything other than release The Best Thing in the summer. It's just made to be played then!

Assuming December 1st is the plan now, we could get two singles between then and now. July/August and then late October/November.

I also think that SOE being promoted and released while JT30 is still going on is a definite possibility/probability, even if the rumored dates are still all/mostly JT. I think that they could "extend an olive branch" by giving the album away (via download link, not forced download, ffs) to everyone who bought a ticket to JT30, past/present/future.

All of these rumors amidst an already active point of time for the band are really dang exciting, y'all.

A lot of assumption based on a remix. We have no idea what the album track will sound like.

Yes, there is a beach clip of what we think is the studio version. It was much, much different than the remix. Still bouncy, but less oonce and more organic (Larry and Adam providing the rhythm)

I think it's too hard to predict what U2 will do. They've done the same formula the last three albums, and it only worked once.

Best Thing isn't the RAWK SONG the other three first singles were, but appears to be more joyous. And they had a great reception with Beautiful Day.

I don't know if the hate for U2 was as strong back then as it is now though. So it'll be interesting.

For us, it's easy. Release a good song, and let the story play out.

I just went back and listened to TBT after many months. I gotta say, I still like it, it's still damn catchy and it would make a great summer tune. I think if they can keep a little of the bounce to it, but not quite as EDM as this remix, it will still be really good.
The comments on youtube are all extremely positive, which is pretty good for U2

Has anyone got a link/can anyone pm me with a copy of the original beach clip?

I haven't heard it since last summer, I'm quite curious again.

That became Little Things, apparently

I was wondering if that might be the case. Thanks. Very interesting.

This song is pretty much guaranteed to be released for real sometime in the near future, right? When have they ever performed a song on TV that wasn't released at most a few months later (not years)? Kinda crazy to think they'd play a new song on late night TV that the general public can't acquire in anyway (not to mention closing their concerts with it, that's pretty unusual too, no?). It definitely feels like this album is closer to reality than SOA ever was. The one comparison I can think is the Jimmy Fallon appearance before SOI, that was what like an 7 month wait?

Is there really such a thing as summer hits anymore? Or am I just too drunk to notice these days?

Is there really such a thing as summer hits anymore? Or am I just too drunk to notice these days?

There are. just not by U2. U2 could expect a song that feels upbeat for the summer season that gets some medium to spotty airplay on adult contemporary and adult alternative stations.

That's true. I think we are all living in the past in regards to how we think U2 would be received on radio.

Fun, breezy, summery song??? That'll for sure get U2 on the radio if they promote it right!!!

I don't think the top 40 stations would even play U2 if they were bribed.

Which is what makes the bands search for "relevance" so irritating. While it's not impossible for them to get a decent hit this late in the career, a top 10 or number one isn't going to happen.

So release the damn album, and enjoy the ride!

I almost agree with others who say U2 are simply too old to achieve mainstream popularity again, but not quite.

The thing is, since vertigo, they just haven't created a hit of that caliber, as strong as Beautiful Day or whatever else before it.

Now, I recognise this is entirely subjective, and others might disagree, but I just think that - although they've made some really beautiful music with NLOTH and SoI - they've failed to successfully yield a single with that 'spark', a proper hook that makes the song soar... that indescribable 'it' that just makes a song catchy, feel-good, and makes people want to turn up the radio, or sing along at a gig.

The last singles to do that were back in 2004, and I simply believe they haven't created a single that strong since then. That's why I think they've failed to be 'relevant' lately. In terms of making the next Beautiful Day, One, or WOWY.. they just haven't. GoYB didn't have it. Invisible didn't, as cool a song as it was. I feel The Miracle almost had it, but not quite.

So, with that in mind, until they offer a lead single that's as 'hit-worthy' as Beautiful Day, I don't think I can attribute their failings simply to their age; they need to make stronger singles if they want hits. I think if they do that, they still have a shot at success.

(Of course, I know music being 'good enough' is entirely subjective and not really quantifiable; but I for one think they can simply do better if they want a hit single.)

Good find!

I checked out the company, they have a show reel that includes some clips from a U2 shoot they did. I can't place it but i suspect it's from the SoI promo era:

NOVEMBER SEVEN FILMS - Home

Anyone able to place that video?

If you go to the menu and click music video it looks like it was taken during a photo shoot for an article in rolling stone magazine, there is a video of Bono and edge playing TMOJR during soi promo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom