SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming... - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2017, 01:08 AM   #241
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,160
Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
Zooropa sounds like multiple songs pieced together, which is how it's actually created. what if U2 patched 2 different sections of songs they made during past sessions?
Many many U2 songs sound like they have been pieced together. They don't spend forever in the studio playing full songs as a band. It's a massive 'copy and paste' exercise, underpinned by endless self-doubt and producer swapping.

GOYB is the most extreme case that I can think of right now.
__________________

AndrewCowley is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 05:01 AM   #242
War Child
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 898
Local Time: 08:31 PM
One problem is, casual fans see the Kimmell show, love the new song, go to download it and can't. It's not available anywhere and nobody knows when it will be - that's a missed opportunity again for them.

It's great to see they obviously have confidence in the new song, but even JK referenced hearing new music 18 months ago and making a point of saying when on earth will people get to hear it?
__________________

ascender_RS is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 05:03 AM   #243
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,163
Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender_RS View Post



It's great to see they obviously have confidence in the new song, but even JK referenced hearing new music 18 months ago and making a point of saying when on earth will people get to hear it?


Which is great news. They would not have let him ask questions about the new album, or remotely engaged with him if they weren't more progressed than "not sure, still lots of work"
dan_smee is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #244
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 390
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Which is great news. They would not have let him ask questions about the new album, or remotely engaged with him if they weren't more progressed than "not sure, still lots of work"
Totally agree with this. The pulled video also tells me one of two things: either Bono and gang were not happy with it (unlikely) and asked that be removed, or a single release is imminent and they wanted to scope the single promotion so people would have to download via iTunes. If it was me, I would release a new single right before or right after each new leg of the TJT tour. There are 3 legs to the tour of I recall, so there are 3 singles right there. Drop the tour announcement and release date between legs 2 and 3, release the album late summer, like early September. Take winter off for rehearsals or promos, start the tour early 2018.
HansaTonImbiss is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #245
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 355
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Interesting the clip is gone
travelleru2 is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
trevgreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,628
Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender_RS View Post
One problem is, casual fans see the Kimmell show, love the new song, go to download it and can't. It's not available anywhere and nobody knows when it will be - that's a missed opportunity again for them.

It's great to see they obviously have confidence in the new song, but even JK referenced hearing new music 18 months ago and making a point of saying when on earth will people get to hear it?
This is a problem I run into all the time when I see opening acts at shows. I listen to what they play, like some of it, then make a mental note to check it out later only to find out that they don't have a debut or new album yet.

I've seen Royal Blood twice now, both times opening, and the second show was where they debuted a new song they wrote as the opening track. Last week, I finally got to hear a studio version of it over a year-and-a-half later.



Like the others said, that does give me a bit of incentive to check out whatever is released later. But it's still kind of frustrating, haha.
trevgreg is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #247
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 95
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
This is a problem I run into all the time when I see opening acts at shows. I listen to what they play, like some of it, then make a mental note to check it out later only to find out that they don't have a debut or new album yet.

I've seen Royal Blood twice now, both times opening, and the second show was where they debuted a new song they wrote as the opening track. Last week, I finally got to hear a studio version of it over a year-and-a-half later.



Like the others said, that does give me a bit of incentive to check out whatever is released later. But it's still kind of frustrating, haha.
That Band though

Can't wait to hear their new album ! HL&S is a killer song
renvst is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #248
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
trevgreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,628
Local Time: 02:31 PM
Oh, definitely. I first saw them open for the Pixies in 2014 when no one had heard of them and they pretty much blew me away. When I saw them open for Foo Fighters a year later, they had a few alternative rock hits by then and, more shockingly, had gotten much better live.

Definitely one I wouldn't mind seeing again as a headliner!
trevgreg is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #249
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 63,618
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmike View Post
Re: The Little Things. It has real potential but it does seem like two different songs mashed together. Solid lyrics and melody followed by soaring
except that's what i love about the song and why i think it's great
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #250
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 355
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
except that's what i love about the song and why i think it's great


The melody is super catchy as well in a good way not like the best thing. This song has more substance. Does sound a bit like a demo which other than the drum machine - I dont actually mind..
travelleru2 is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 5,145
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Yeah, after listening to the Kimmel version, I was singing Little Things all night long. Love both "sides" of the song. Do wish there was a little different transition from the first section to the second, but still love it.
womanfish is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #252
War Child
 
TheFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 758
Local Time: 08:31 PM
They really, really shouldn't be playing this live and on Kimmel if it's not finished.
TheFox is online now  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #253
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,363
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFox View Post
They really, really shouldn't be playing this live and on Kimmel if it's not finished.


Who has said it's not finished?
KUEFC09U2 is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #254
Refugee
 
brooklynmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Like landing a 747 onto your front lawn
Posts: 2,069
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
"Dig'em Smacks"?

Come on Karl they're Sugar Smacks.


I call bullshit on the whole segment. How is Cinnamon Toast Crunch not in the top 3?
brooklynmike is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #255
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,363
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelleru2 View Post
Interesting the clip is gone


What clip?
KUEFC09U2 is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #256
Acrobat
 
PRB216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ | NYC
Posts: 320
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
What clip?
Jimmy Kimmel's official YouTube channel had an upload of the "Little Things" performance that has since been pulled. The ISHFWILF performance video is still up tho.. Very interesting.
PRB216 is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #257
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 5,145
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Ok, So don't be too harsh here. But I thought, it would be cool if the two section of Little Things were brought together a bit. If Bono would sing the "little things" chorus from the first section in the second "sometimes" section to make it more of a complete sounding song.
So i did a little edit and threw it in there. The only place i could fit it was in Edge's solo section where Bono was keeping his Shephards Pie hole closed. So around 4:08 you can hear what i did.

Tell me what you think, obviously quality isn't great since i'm overlapping two parts of the song.

cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/nian-fiedler/...womanfish-edit
womanfish is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #258
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 29,449
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmike View Post
I call bullshit on the whole segment. How is Cinnamon Toast Crunch not in the top 3?
Any discussion of cereal and the words "Cap'n Crunch" are never uttered is bullshit,
Hewson is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #259
Refugee
 
brooklynmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Like landing a 747 onto your front lawn
Posts: 2,069
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
except that's what i love about the song and why i think it's great


That it's got great melody and lyrics? I agree. The soaring at the end is also great. (That magic has been missing for at least 13 years).

I do think the lead in to the soaring can be improved.
brooklynmike is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #260
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 63,618
Local Time: 03:31 PM
I really have no clue how people think the song sounds incomplete, or that there's an issue with the two separate parts. It baffles me.
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×