SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
Do you guys think the album will actually be called "Songs of Experience"? I know they referred to it as that just a few months ago, but I just feel like we're so far away from SOI and the original SOI/SOE-concept at this point. I feel it's more likely they've reworked the idea of the album to be so much a commentary on America and the current state of the world that they'll look at it when it's nearing completion and decide they're gonna change the name.

Yes.

This idea that companion albums have to come out within 18 months(or any timeframe) is just odd.

The theme of the interviews/press for SOE will be:

-We've learned so much from SOI and touring SOI
-We've learned so much from the election and Trump
-We've gained so much experience performing stadiums and playing the JT this past summer
-Songs of Experience is really about 4 guys finding out who they are & what they've become & living with that. At this point U2 can live with that.....BUT

The album is almost done. Were revisiting all the songs and have some new ideas were really excited about. Were looking at a quarter 6 release in 2018. We've lost Larry as he's been lost in the music for 2 years now. And most of all we have to have a hit. You know the saying, 3 or 6 misses and your out.

I give the album a 70/30 chance of actually being called SOE. It's been long enough it should be 50/50, but they've kept referring to the album by the name "Songs of Experience" so that must still be the title. If they stop using then name and instead generically refer to it (like how they stopped referring to the NLOTH follow up as "Songs of Ascent" after a while) that's the cue the name has changed.

Either way, it's been way too long for this to be a Part 2 album; it will be its own thing rather than an SOI companion.

I would say fuck it and call the album something else. I'm sorry but the "Songs Of" concept has just been beaten to a bore and they should want to continue to distance themselves from any iTunes release memories.

I give the album a 70/30 chance of actually being called SOE. It's been long enough it should be 50/50, but they've kept referring to the album by the name "Songs of Experience" so that must still be the title. If they stop using then name and instead generically refer to it (like how they stopped referring to the NLOTH follow up as "Songs of Ascent" after a while) that's the cue the name has changed.

Either way, it's been way too long for this to be a Part 2 album; it will be its own thing rather than an SOI companion.

:banghead:

I would say fuck it and call the album something else. I'm sorry but the "Songs Of" concept has just been beaten to a bore and they should want to continue to distance themselves from any iTunes release memories.

The concept has been beaten to a bore? It's been ONE album.

They really have been hitting people from all sides lately -

- iHeart for the kids
- Kendrick Lamar for the trendy serious modern music fan
- TJT30 for their lost base

If SOE is even close to as good (but more adventurous) than SOI, then they have given themselves every chance. They simply HAVE to drop this album in the next 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Building a critical mass for what will hopefully be a stellar album / Comeback. Hopefully another great reinvention for a band that has done it before.

To be fair, the publicity around songs of Innocence was so bad that it wouldn't be a terrible idea to rebrand

That had occurred to me too, but then again, a lot of the people who were pissed off by the release method of SoI probably aren't fans anyway, and likely wouldn't know/remember the name of the album.

I suppose SoE will be marketed as a part 2, so referencing 2014 might be inevitable, but let's face it - even if the next album is completely new, the press will still refer to it as "u2's first album since their controversial Apple release".

I mean that might explain why some of us here are a little jaded of the concept, given one 'Songs of' album has been released in those 8 years.

To be fair, the publicity around songs of Innocence was so bad that it wouldn't be a terrible idea to rebrand

That was what I was thinking. The long time between SOI and the new album (I'm assuming it's out this year, which is not a safe assumption at all) is one factor, sure, but it's more a combination, Like, "it's been 3 years since that album the mainstream was thinking of as spam, and now you release a part 2?".

If U2 really has this grand plan of SOI/SOE and are not gonna budge from that, then sure, it will be called Songs of Experience. I'm pretty sure whatever marketing people they use wouldn't jump for joy at the fact they are to market a follow-up to SOI, though.

This is a really interesting idea. How do you rebrand u2?

- I can't see them willingly embracing the "elder statesmen of rock" label, as it suggests best music is behind them. Though if they continue to release solid but unremarkable albums than they might not be able to avoid it

- there's the Johnny Cash narrative. Once great artist returns to greatness through a series of stark, evocative albums, (which sound unlike anything else popular in music at the time). The wisened outsider. Could this be u2? Doesn't seem like it. They continue to chase relevance by adjusting their sound to match popular trends. Plus, they don't have the redemption-story angle to play up. No one cares is they're only seeking redemption after a critical / popular drubbing

- taste makers? Been a long time since they were on the forefront of new sounds.

What the heck is left?

Last edited:
To be fair I imagine most people who say "urgh u2 I hate them. Putting their shit album onto my iPhone" couldn't even name the album straight away.

The SOI release became a cheap punchline like a lot of people have already said, but it's not like the album is ever actually named in a bad pun for example.

As long as the album's great and not released like the last one they can just carry on riding this current wave. ("Hey U2 didn't ruin Kendrick Lamars new album like i thought they would"/"Hey the Joshua Tree was actually great. Can't wait to see it live.")

I think you can embrace the elder statesman role without giving up on making new music and continuing to explore new ground. Springsteen has certainly embraced his role as the old guy, yet he put out an album in Wrecking Ball that had loops, a rap interlude, and gospel and Celtic themes... All new ground for him. It sounded fresh without sounding forced. Then he recorded another album of a mix of new songs, covers and songs from his past that he never put to record just so he could explore adding Tom Morello's guitar sound to his band.

U2's number one problem is the appearance of trying too hard to be hip and cool with the kids. And honestly, it's more of how they package themselves to the public than the actual music at this point.

So how do we think they will go about releasing the album then? i think it' safe to say that a release is only around the corner but as to how they might release it is the big question?

Personally i think of SOE as the sister / brother album to SOI so it would make sense to make a bold move and do another Apple release.

Or maybe they could just release it normally with a release date announcement, promotion etc. but these days that idea just feels too boring for U2's standards, they'll want to push the boundaries again, with the release of SOE surely?

I think you can embrace the elder statesman role without giving up on making new music and continuing to explore new ground. Springsteen has certainly embraced his role as the old guy, yet he put out an album in Wrecking Ball that had loops, a rap interlude, and gospel and Celtic themes... All new ground for him. It sounded fresh without sounding forced. Then he recorded another album of a mix of new songs, covers and songs from his past that he never put to record just so he could explore adding Tom Morello's guitar sound to his band.

U2's number one problem is the appearance of trying too hard to be hip and cool with the kids. And honestly, it's more of how they package themselves to the public than the actual music at this point.

Yeah, I agree they would do well in this role. But I think they're too stubborn to embrace it!

So how do we think they will go about releasing the album then? i think it' safe to say that a release is only around the corner but as to how they might release it is the big question?

Personally i think of SOE as the sister / brother album to SOI so it would make sense to make a bold move and do another Apple release.

Or maybe they could just release it normally with a release date announcement, promotion etc. but these days that idea just feels too boring for U2's standards, they'll want to push the boundaries again, with the release of SOE surely?
Last fall, they came very close to releasing SOE. The word was that the release plan was traditional, no frills.

Last fall, they came very close to releasing SOE. The word was that the release plan was traditional, no frills.

Interesting. I think the launch with the least frills imaginable is the best bet. Release a song, say the album is coming a week/two weeks later, then just let it do it's thing. Maybe they take a page out of their buddy Kendrick's book.

Yes.

This idea that companion albums have to come out within 18 months(or any timeframe) is just odd.

why is it odd? U2 gave us this expectation in the first place.

Certainly any artist could release 2 albums several or even many years apart which are thematically connected, but with U2 that would be very difficult as the band changes direction so often (out of intention or confusion, whatever)

why is it odd? U2 gave us this expectation in the first place.

Certainly any artist could release 2 albums several or even many years apart which are thematically connected, but with U2 that would be very difficult as the band changes direction so often (out of intention or confusion, whatever)

I'm glad you answered your own question. :up:

clearly you did not understand my point.

looks like you're back looking for an argument to have. Good times.

Not at all.

But like you said; any artist can release a companion album, movie, song, etc at any time.

The thing about the 'songs of' concept(which really is one of their best concepts)is that timeline doesn't matter.

The SOI release became a cheap punchline like a lot of people have already said, but it's not like the album is ever actually named in a bad pun for example.

That's sort of my thinking too. If anyone actually does focus on the SOI release method when their follow-up finally does come out, it'll be because of U2 releasing an album as opposed to a Songs of... one.

Not at all.

But like you said; any artist can release a companion album, movie, song, etc at any time.

The thing about the 'songs of' concept(which really is one of their best concepts)is that timeline doesn't matter.

true, but as I also said, U2 (ok Bono) explicitly said the follow up would be pretty quick. Obviously I don't take much of what he promises too seriously, but alas he did say it. And then he kept saying it...

My second point was that with U2, doing a companion album might be more of a challenge than with most bands because of how much they like to change things up from one release to the next.

true, but as I also said, U2 (ok Bono) explicitly said the follow up would be pretty quick. Obviously I don't take much of what he promises too seriously, but alas he did say it. And then he kept saying it...

My second point was that with U2, doing a companion album might be more of a challenge than with most bands because of how much they like to change things up from one release to the next.

True, BUT if released this year, it's still pretty quick for them these days.

I'm with Iggy here. U2 are the ones who said it would be out quickly. Over and over again.

So it's not an inappropriate reaction to wonder why this claim was not delivered on.

Back
Top Bottom