SOE 19: Back To The Studio Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wherever The Joshua Tree is in the set, how would you prefer it to be played?

• Total voters
Literally the same experience haha. Would go up to Iowa State/Ames, and Iowa/Iowa City to visit friends. Kept a normal life during the week, and then the "college" partying on the weekends. Ames was about 30 minutes from home so would even drive home after the bars (and sober'd up) to sleep in my own bed

Was dating a gal right when Bomb came out, and we broke up shortly after Vertigo tour started. 24/25 years old and very ready to be out on the town.

Not sure Bomb was the perfect soundtrack for that life though....but it was there

Literally the same experience haha. Would go up to Iowa State/Ames, and Iowa/Iowa City to visit friends. Kept a normal life during the week, and then the "college" partying on the weekends. Ames was about 30 minutes from home so would even drive home after the bars (and sober'd up) to sleep in my own bed

Was dating a gal right when Bomb came out, and we broke up shortly after Vertigo tour started. 24/25 years old and very ready to be out on the town.

Not sure Bomb was the perfect soundtrack for that life though....but it was there

True, although it was cool hearing Vertigo play in the bars!

I just walked past Electric Lady. There are a few people outside, I assume waiting for a glimpse. Also a production-looking truck.

I just walked past Electric Lady. There are a few people outside, I assume waiting for a glimpse. Also a production-looking truck.

Apparently Bono has pulled people in to listen to stuff (or at least to one group of folks.) I hear that he played a synth-heavy song they compared to Invisible. They said the song was quite poppy, and actually describe it being terrible, though the band is really keen on it. It wasn't obvious how the song would be played live.

No sense in reading too much into this.. Folks might be of the ilk that "only likes the 80s stuff" or something.. But at the same time, they were listening for their same kind of stuff I'd be listening for. (What song does it sound like? Does it sound live? Etc)

Last edited:
Apparently Bono has pulled people in to listen to stuff. At least to one group of folks. I hear that he played a synth-heavy song they compared to Invisible. They said the song was quite poppy, and actually describe it terrible, though the band was really keen on it. It wasn't obvious how the song would be played live.

No sense in reading too much into this.. Folks might be of the ilk that "only likes the 80s stuff" or something.

Interesting. Anyone who makes judgements on quality based on a random group of people's feelings are idiots, so their thoughts are neither here nor there.

Thanks for sharing - I for one am glad to hear something is 'synth heavy' because I think they need to move the hell away from primary colours style rawk.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Interesting. Anyone who makes judgements on quality based on a random group of people's feelings are idiots, so their thoughts are neither here nor there.

Thanks for sharing - I for one am glad to hear something is 'synth heavy' because I think they need to move the hell away from primary colours style rawk.

Yep. Good point. Maybe we have another weird, poppy kind of song like Lemon. Which would be amazing.

Yep. Good point. Maybe we have another weird, poppy kind of song like Lemon. Which would be amazing.

I have been privately concerned about these comments re them re recording so it was just four of them in a room. I hope that the adventurous character we've heard about isn't lost. I want this album to be challenging and fucking weird.

Apparently Bono has pulled people in to listen to stuff (or at least to one group of folks.) I hear that he played a synth-heavy song they compared to Invisible. They said the song was quite poppy, and actually describe it being terrible, though the band is really keen on it. It wasn't obvious how the song would be played live.

No sense in reading too much into this.. Folks might be of the ilk that "only likes the 80s stuff" or something.. But at the same time, they were listening for their same kind of stuff I'd be listening for. (What song does it sound like? Does it sound live? Etc)

Nice! I share Dan's feelings that getting away from basic rawk is a step in the right direction... I prefer my u2 with atmosphere and weird sounds :up:

How to play a synth-based track live is an interesting question given the supposed reason for the current Electric Lady sessions (recording 'live style' arrangements). It could feasibly work - maybe edge could play lead on keys instead of guitar? And even if it is synth based, doesn't necessarily mean the production quality of the recording will be poorer, or that it will lose it's live feel.

I'm trying to think of synth/electronic based albums with good production... Maybe Daft Punk's Random Access Memories?

I have been privately concerned about these comments re them re recording so it was just four of them in a room. I hope that the adventurous character we've heard about isn't lost. I want this album to be challenging and fucking weird.

I've gotten quite mixed signals from the band regarding the direction of SoE in this context.

On the one hand, there were early reports of recordings sounding like Zooropa (I'm not referring to when edge said they were simply treating the fast recording process like Zooropa; apparently some of the tunes really did have that electronic/experimental feel at some point in 2015). Plus, Bono said right after the release of SoI that SoE would be more experimental.

But then, we've also heard the band say they want SoE to be more raw, aggressive, and less polished... Plus we got that 'SoE being born' clip. Seems to imply a more straight forward garage band rawk direction.

So, I'm not sure what we'll end up. I guess both is the obvious answer.

I wonder if they told the band what they thought? Or just went long with it said it was good then complained when they left

Last edited:
I find this scenario quite humorous. I just picture Bono enthusiastically playing this new song for a group of fans, and they're saying "ohh yeah... it's so good... wow, sounds like a hit!" Bono's sense of self satisfaction is through the roof. Fans leave, and says "WTF was that shit?" And the other says "well, at least now we can replace the saying U2 wrote Miami".

Interesting.

Interesting anecdote! Just happy to hear they are in the studio working to get it wrapped up.

Man it's dead in here - Edge & Jacknife post a photo from the studio called 'The New Sound' and it takes 5 hours for it to be posted!

https://instagram.com/p/BSEwM1ahvg3/

Bono playing songs to fans and significantly increased Instagram activity re actual recording/studio activity - very good signs.

This. The question is, how many more shows will they do for the Innocence And Experience tour considering they have already done 75?

I guess this is how they will finish out the decade. Songs Of Ascent will get released sometime early next decade, the early 20s.

It's worth keeping in mind that there is A quarter of 2017 that is left blank at the moment. I can't see them just touring JT for a couple of months and then going silent for the rest of 2017.

Personally I am hoping for more tour dates and a album release in the latter part of 2017 after the JT tour has concluded.

SOE has been on peoples lips for far too long now, it's time they released it

Can any experts tell us is it possible to tell from the picture anything about what type of sound they're going for?

Higher res pic

Honestly, if they weren't happy with SOE for after iHeart, then releasing on the back of a very successful tour that reminds everyone of their golden era, is the best outcome. They simply HAVE to capitalise on the goodwill and publicity.

Looks like the Memory Man delay, Boss Digital delay, digital reverb, and phaser, lots of fuzz and distortion pedals. There's a boss volume pedal, bass camp, B:assmaster and a few other bass distortion pedals too.

Last edited:
Man it's dead in here - Edge & Jacknife post a photo from the studio called 'The New Sound' and it takes 5 hours for it to be posted!

https://instagram.com/p/BSEwM1ahvg3/

Bono playing songs to fans and significantly increased Instagram activity re actual recording/studio activity - very good signs.

New sound ? Is that a promise, Edge ?

Looks like the Memory Man delay, Boss Digital delay, digital reverb, and phaser, lots of fuzz and distortion pedals. There's a boss volume pedal, bass camp, B:assmaster and a few other bass distortion pedals too.

I also see a digitech whammy, which among other things, can create the jet engine sound from MOFO and Gone (and I think the octave shifting sound at the beginning of EBTTRT?). It's got other uses, like layering weird harmonics over the notes you play, but yeah, interesting to see here.

The boss volume pedal excites me - it can create beautiful sweeping ethereal sounds.

Check out the sweeps about a minute in (where it's paired with delay) for what I'm talking about.

Good shout about it being dead in here btw. This is exciting stuff! Sure it's an off-hand remark in an Instagram post, but talking about a 'new sound' is always gonna be exciting.

Hopefully it won't be confined to a few tracks at the end.

Good shout. I guess it depends on the recording process this time round. Nloth had weeks of Moroccan sessions with Eno and Lanois topped off with some polishing from Lillywhite, that gave us the final versions of SUC, Boots, and Crazy Tonight. SoI saw sessions with Danger Mouse capped with work with completely different, more commercial producers.

Both times round, it seems the band asked the question "where are the hits?", after initial sessions, and brought in a new team which (imo) diluted the albums.

We don't know yet entirely the history of the making of SoE, but it's possible sessions with Jolyon Thomas and Andy Barlow will see that dilution. But at least they're trying new things right now - attempting 'live style' production with Lillywhite, and possibly making 'a new sound' with Jacknife Lee. I'm very intrigued to see what they come up with.

Funny thing is, if the band wants hit, just break out "All My Life" and the original version of SUC and you probably have 2. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom