SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would so love to hear the Barlow and Thomas produced tracks.

I am confused by what we are hearing. We heard more raw, aggressive for SOE.

Then they say well... with Trump the world changed so we want to adjust some things for that.
And then in the same breath say they want it to be lighter and more positive?!?
How does that translate into adjusting it for the current landscape.

Frustrated.

carry on

Second, Third, and 3 Millionth guessing going on with them.

And if true they were supposed to release a remixed single from JT, and now they haven't/won't.....are they scared to release old material now???

This band just has to accept their days of relevance (radio) are over. Until then, we'll get nothing but what's going on now (which a tour isn't bad, but I do prefer new music)

Second, Third, and 3 Millionth guessing going on with them.

And if true they were supposed to release a remixed single from JT, and now they haven't/won't.....are they scared to release old material now???

This band just has to accept their days of relevance (radio) are over. Until then, we'll get nothing but what's going on now (which a tour isn't bad, but I do prefer new music)

So true.

I relish the type of material we would get if they could accept the fact they should just put out what they want, and forget about the rest. But that in fact will never happen. So I await the next over-thought, dozen producer strained album.

Got my GA's for the Pre-SOE Tour 2017.

My gawd, can't we all just get along and realize this tour is a goodwill trip around the globe to show the 'casual' fans that U2 once really mattered, and they haven't dried up and gone away? This is a mend the fence trek to say 'sorry for dropping our last album on your iPhone, and thinking we were still WAAAYYY more important than really are'.

It's time for U2 to embrace their past, and accept that they are MUCH older than the artist the 'pop-kids' are listening to. This tour will grease the skids for the SOE release...just watch...:yes:

Got my GA's for the Pre-SOE Tour 2017.

My gawd, can't we all just get along and realize this tour is a goodwill trip around the globe to show the 'casual' fans that U2 once really mattered, and they haven't dried up and gone away? This is a mend the fence trek to say 'sorry for dropping our last album on your iPhone, and thinking we were still WAAAYYY more important than really are'.

It's time for U2 to embrace their past, and accept that they are MUCH older than the artist the 'pop-kids' are listening to. This tour will grease the skids for the SOE release...just watch...:yes:

Not saying I won't love the next over-thought, dozen producer strained album, just leaves me wondering what cool stuff hit the cutting room floor so to speak.
I'm a fan til the end. More power to em. Maybe looking back a bit with the JT thing might put them in a better place for SOE artistically.

Not saying I won't love the next over-thought, dozen producer strained album, just leaves me wondering what cool stuff hit the cutting room floor so to speak.
I'm a fan til the end. More power to em. Maybe looking back a bit with the JT thing might put them in a better place for SOE artistically.

I'm not saying SOE is going to be a smash hit...I'm just saying that this new tour is to repair their image after the debacle that was SOI. This will hopefully open the door for a successful release of the new album.

:hi5:

I agree. While I'm happy to be going to a show this summer (Cleveland), I do feel guilty. North America has gotten 3 tours since the last Australian tour (2011, 2015, 2017). I realize it's a big expense to lug all that stuff down under for not that many shows (aka DOLLARS), but it's still not right. Looks like you guys might not get any shows until 2018. If they do resume the I&E Tour again, they had better hit you guys up first before they even think about returning to Europe or North America. Who the hell knows what they'll do anymore.

I'm reminded of Springsteen's The River tour last year...started out as 20-ish shows in US.

Then he added Europe and a second US leg.

And he's coming to Australia / New Zealand early this year.

Just saying - why not ?

As for SOE, it will come, just after the tour in autumn - do we assume that in fact, any SOE songs will be played ? Given the RS comments, I don't see it. I'm looking at JT and hits, maybe a leaning on Rattle and Hum as well since it covers the same "U2 does America" era ?

And I don't know about you, but "every show " "every song"promo is clear enough and Edge's RS interview says they'll do it in full. They won't get out of that one. Just. No.

As for SOE, it will come, just after the tour in autumn - do we assume that in fact, any SOE songs will be played ? Given the RS comments, I don't see it. I'm looking at JT and hits, maybe a leaning on Rattle and Hum as well since it covers the same "U2 does America" era ?

I wouldn't put it above them to debut a song (maybe two) during a show or few, but yeah... I doubt any shows will be solely focused on them or play a new one at every single show.

it's amazing how ambiguous this band can be at times. They give tiny morsels of info, which lends itself to many more unanswered questions and utter confusion...sort of like trump's twitter account.

The news about this tour isn't a surprise to all of us. For example I was humbled and gratified to predict we'd get something like this on these pages two years ago...

Predictions bookmarked! ;)

Here's mine: The Joshua Tree gets some renewed attention and rarer tracks get some new love, ala the Achtung Baby "revival" on the last tour

And I don't know about you, but "every show " "every song"promo is clear enough and Edge's RS interview says they'll do it in full. They won't get out of that one. Just. No.

They promoted the i+e tour with completely different sets on each night, that was the selling point of the pairs. That was the clear promotion at the beginning stages (just like full album now) and then they ditched it.

I hope they keep their word, but I don't think the full album is set in stone until they actually play the shows.

Is there anyone who still thinks SOE (if it ever actually happens) won't be U2's last record?

I believe there will be one more after SOE. Assuming SOE does come out this fall, and they spend all of 2018 touring the Innocence & Experience, then work on album 15 (right?) wouldn't seriously begin until 2019. I used to think 2020 would be a good time to release their final album, or at least AN album, for their 40th anniversary. But even fall 2020 is going to be pushing it, so if an album is to happen, we're talking 2021 at the earliest. But 2021 will be the 30th anniversary of Achtung Baby tour, so who the hell knows? haha

Adam did reference Songs of Ascent being a possibility sometime in the future after Songs of Experience, so at least that means they're thinking about a future beyond SOE.

Maybe, we'll see....

I'd guess one more after SOE, probably SOA as has been eluded to by Adam. Either way, I'm glad we've still got them touring, really freaking stoked for the JT tour, and am eagerly anticipating SOE.

They promoted the i+e tour with completely different sets on each night, that was the selling point of the pairs. That was the clear promotion at the beginning stages (just like full album now) and then they ditched it.

I hope they keep their word, but I don't think the full album is set in stone until they actually play the shows.

The key word Bono used for I&E was they were "going to try" and have a different feel every night, then changing their minds when they thought it wasn't going to succeed. This one seems a tad more concrete ("Every song. Every show."), or else we'd be hearing "we're going to try and do the whole album" each and every night.

I can't see SOE delivering a hit song. So if there's ever a follow-up album, they'll need a major change of mindset.

Pretty much every other band/artist their age is content with releasing songs for their dedicated fans (who don't give a shit about hits). But not U2.

If they don't change, their next album may be posthumously released.

Is there anyone who still thinks SOE (if it ever actually happens) won't be U2's last record?

Well, it depends. The first question is, what would make them stop touring? Larry's back or other physical issues?

Then you have to ask if the band would be willing to pull a Beatles and continue recording despite not being able to tour. Bono might be fine focusing on charity and advocacy, Adam would just live a life of travel and leisure. But I can't imagine Edge just sitting around and not wanting to write or record. Maybe he could produce other bands?

I think it's more likely they'll continue touring than putting out new records.

My guess is that SOE will be their last proper record. I'd love to see them wrap the whole thing up with Songs of Ascent, but it's just hard for me to imagine that happening. I think they'll still keep recording, but it will be one offs, interactive apps with a few songs, things like that.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the interactive music breakthrough thing that was going to change everything they were working with Apple on?

I'm extremely satisfied with the bands' decision to tour this way. There have been many posters say over the years that it would be great for the band to tour in between albums and I never thought we'd get a past-album themed tour. So for me, this is a great choice to try out. TJT is timeless and it's lyrics and meaning is extremely relevant today. Who knows, maybe this goes well and they decide in a few years to do an AB or War/ UF combo show or tour. I'm just excited they are challenging themselves to learn some deep cuts.

Disappointed with Journalist

Here in America, journalist are reporting and it is being posted on facebook that U2 is withholding their new album because the need time to breath in light of the outcome of the Election of President Elect Trumph. My interpretation of the delay is that, once, the band thought about it, they realized that it's the 30th anniversary of the JT AND that most of the songs from that record are once again so relevant to what is going on in today's society/world. That is what I read as the delay. I also read that they will finish the new ablum and release and tour when they are comfortable with it. As many may remember they were on a deadline to release PopMart of which they later regretted. They also said they would never release a record/CD etc until they were comfortable it was their best work to date. Has anyone else heard or read these accusations? I'm just seeing so many negative comments about a band the I truly believe is not holding out on a release because they are upset that Trumph will be the next US President. Thoughts? Thank you.

Trump was just a heaven-sent excuse the band could dish out that isn't "It's our own fault. We can't finish albums and communicate exclusively by way of hot bullshit."

The key word Bono used for I&E was they were "going to try" and have a different feel every night, then changing their minds when they thought it wasn't going to succeed. This one seems a tad more concrete ("Every song. Every show."), or else we'd be hearing "we're going to try and do the whole album" each and every night.

They marketed as significantly different shows each night, which was the whole point of booking every shows in pairs.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6386022/inside-u2s-ambitious-upcoming-tour-strategy

"The new tour will arrive with an ambitious strategy in which U2 plays two dates in each market (and four at both Los Angeles’ Forum and New York’s Madison Square Garden) with different sets on consecutive nights -- one representing Innocence, the other Experience (an indication that U2’s already confirmed next album, Songs of Experience, may be previewed or even released by then)."

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom