SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How great would it be if the band performed the same set-list in each city that they performed at that city in the 80's Joshua Tree/Lovetown tour.

Not tell anyone the intent, just do it.

Desire (Trump Version) will be a must. And it I kinda hope (expect) it'll open the concert.

Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Miracle, Pride, One, SBS, EBTTRT will all be present after TJT.

So I see that the media is buying this "We delayed SOE because of Trump" nonsense at face value. Is anyone here? Given that most of us are knowledgable U2 fans, I'm guessing not.

I haven't looked through all the threads, but I'm assuming that most people here see this "Trump delay" thing for what it is...the record wasn't ready (of course it wasn't ready), and Trump presents an opportunistic excuse. They were already planning a 2017 tour, LN's pissed, hence this hastily put together Joshua Tree thing. Calling the Joshua Tree relevant or urgent because of the political climate also presents a convenient excuse. And less painful than falling off a bike. Though given the band's historical statements on doing this kind of nostalgia thing, perhaps not significantly so.

In other words, if you're actually buying any of this political excuse for all this, I've got a live tree in Death Valley to sell you.

That said, I'm more excited for this tour than I would have been a continuation of I+E. I'm interested to see how they stage the show, and of course the music is great. The Joshua Tree is arguably more relevant to more people than SOE could ever think about being, so if they want relevance, they've got it, at least a Sort of Relevance.

Last edited:
I think that's it... nobody's buying the reasons for SOE not being released, but everybody is naturally excited at the prospect of seeing them play TJT in full.

As much as U2 are clearly a band with strong political views, I wasn't expecting an album which really reflects the current political landscape or anything like that? That's not where the band are or how they work really is it? Especially when they're taking a few years to write and record - that's too long for them to make a statement album?

Plus with SOE being talked-about as a companion piece to SOI, the whole theory makes even less sense.

But hey, Exit live!!

Meant to say, on the day of the announcement I noticed loads of friends on social media re-posting the announcement - most of them I never knew were U2 fans - all very excited about the chance to go and see U2 live again. And today I see that TJT is charting on iTunes. So I think regardless of what we all think, this is going to be a very lucrative tour for them and could possibly reignite wider interest in the band and their next album...

Very smart of them - it is currently $5.99 in the US store, and number 20 on the worldwide iTunes chart

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This article by Roger Friedman is probably worth the read: "U2 Scraps New Album For Easier 'Joshua Tree' 30th Anniversary Tour This Summer" (U2 Scraps New Album For Easier “Joshua Tree” 30th Anniversary Tour This Summer | Showbiz411).

Hmmmmm.

An expanded “Joshua Tree” collection is expected with outtakes, etc.

Don't we already have one of those? Are there any JT-era "outtakes, etc." still, well, out there? I assumed we pretty much had all of it, so I can only imagine this will be repackaging of what we've already got? Or perhaps a re-imagining of the record as "The Two Americas"? I can't imagine U2 would put out yet another version of JT so abruptly, when there's little to sell. Maybe some kind of digital edition I guess.

Or just another reporter who doesn't know WTF he's talking about?

Last edited:
This is the most interesting bit from that article:

Don't we already have one of those? Are there any JT-era "outtakes, etc." still, well, out there? I assumed we pretty much had all of it, so I can only imagine this will be repackaging of what we've already got? Or perhaps a re-imagining of the record as "The Two Americas"?

Or just another reporter who doesn't know WTF he's talking about? I can't imagine U2 would put out yet another version of JT so abruptly, when there's little to sell. Maybe some kind of digital edition I guess.

There was talk of a 30th anniversary edition. A new mix of Red Hill Mining Town was to serve as the single.

But, I expected notice of this to have been released along with the tour announcement, and we got no such notice. so, who knows..

Red Hill was my favourite U2 song for a while, so hearing a new mix would be interesting. And given that it was meant to be the first JT single, having a remix as the "single" for this tour would certainly bring things full circle.

I want it to be Joshua tree and rattle and hum tour. Rattle was first album I bought and for that alone it's my favorite.

Given that they don't have a new record to peddle, it would be great to see this turn into another Lovetown.

I know, wishful thinking. That would require some degree of confidence and spontaneity.

Last edited:
There was talk of a 30th anniversary edition. A new mix of Red Hill Mining Town was to serve as the single.

But, I expected notice of this to have been released along with the tour announcement, and we got no such notice. so, who knows..
The only way it makes sense to do this is if they released it, or at the very least dropped the new Red Hill mix, prior to tickets going on sale.

As the presale starts today, that doesn't appear to be happening... and with bump the album is seeing on iTunes, it would appear unnecessary.

The only way it makes sense to do this is if they released it, or at the very least dropped the new Red Hill mix, prior to tickets going on sale.

As the presale starts today, that doesn't appear to be happening... and with bump the album is seeing on iTunes, it would appear unnecessary.

yeah, and even then another release of the album doesnt make much sense.

still, the public sale isn't for a few days, so there's still chance to at least put out the "new" tune

I'd welcome the new RHMT Lillywhite Mix any day now ....

Would even get radio play .. very funny feeling this must be... hearing Red Hill Mining Town on commercial radio stations .. because ... The Joshua Tree 2.0 ..

that's a very strange time being U2 fan (but when isn't it)

Don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but part of an interview w/Rolling Stone and the Edge...Finally, discussing the elephant in the room !!

RS: I think the two songs the fans are most dying to hear are "Acrobat" and "Drowning Man." They've never been done live. Is there a chance they'll finally be done?

Edge:
That's very interesting. I didn't know that fans were interested in "Drowning Man." I mean "Acrobat," for sure, I guess. It was one of those kind of more dramatic pieces from Achtung Baby. But that's interesting. I'll take note of that. We always want to listen to our fans because in our experience, music fans are seldom wrong. There's something to what they say, so I'll take note of that. I'm not saying we'll definitely do it, but we're at this wonderful situation where we've got a blank canvas.

I could see some of the Rattle and Hum songs in there every night... That plus full JT and the hits and thats you I reckon. It would be nice to see obscure stuff but I just can't see it - its a nostalgia show, they know there's going to be a lot of 80s fans back so maybe its going to be loaded with more of the hits up to R&H along with the really big hits post that period?

Just went in Ticketmaster with my presale code and I want seats not GA.

There is no option to actually pick seats? The only option is "Best Available", which I guess is determined by Ticketmaster. I choose level 1 and tickets are $280 a pop.....

Never thought I would say this but not worth it(2 tickets would be $600 with taxes and fees$. Maybe I'll get GA and sell them....

Just went in Ticketmaster with my presale code and I want seats not GA.

There is no option to actually pick seats? The only option is "Best Available", which I guess is determined by Ticketmaster. I choose level 1 and tickets are $280 a pop.....

Never thought I would say this but not worth it(2 tickets would be $600 with taxes and fees$. Maybe I'll get GA and sell them....

You can pick price point and it'll give you the sections in that price point. Unclick the sections you're not interested in and hit search.

Note: this is for the website, not the phone app

Ehhhh.... I think they'll make the argument that the b side of Joshua Tree will have enough "obscure songs" to play nothing but a hit parade with the rest of the set.

That's still 7 songs though, in terms of the lesser-played stuff from the album. 1/3 of the show with those at a very minimum isn't exactly terrible.

no, that's really good! when was the last time U2 played seven rarities? Well I guess there was that leg of 360 where they were playing unreleased tracks and Scarlet.

I just hope that Bono can sing Red Hill well. However questionable their motivation for the tour is it's going to be great. I hope they follow through with played SOE songs as Adam suggested they might.

I would so love to hear the Barlow and Thomas produced tracks.

I am confused by what we are hearing. We heard more raw, aggressive for SOE.

Then they say well... with Trump the world changed so we want to adjust some things for that.
And then in the same breath say they want it to be lighter and more positive?!?
How does that translate into adjusting it for the current landscape.

Frustrated.

carry on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom