SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
what we know

• Songs Of Experience has a title
  • U2 are going to play some Joshua Tree 30th anniversary concerts in 2017
  • U2 are at WAR with live nation!!

A+ on the thread title.

At the end of the last thread, we just started discussing the possibility that they committed these TJT shows awhile ago, and that SOE's delay just makes the timing awkward. Could be...

That thread title, though.

raw

what we know

• Songs Of Experience has a title
  • U2 are going to play some Joshua Tree 30th anniversary concerts in 2017
  • U2 are at WAR with live nation!!

The 3rd point is very interesting and I do agree with you. U2 were never this 'greatest-hits-tour-band'. In contrast they only tour when they have a new album out. Which is special about them...and they know it! So why the hell are they planning on playing special 30th anniversary concerts of TJT? No way they do it for love. I fear Live Nation put so much pressure on them. And u2 failed to put out SOE and to resume the U2 ieTour.

New SoE planned stadium stage, retro JT style stage (yeah, I know I+e main stage was kinda that already) or restyled 360 stage?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

My sauce Fisher, who happens to be very saucy, has visited my dreams and told me that U2 does not have the clout we think they do, and are pretty much the bitches of Live Nation. In 2019 they will tour on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, which will cause yet another delay of SOE.
The cause according to the fish: U2 are broke.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Oops, I meant No Line on the Horizon

Ok, been out of the loop for a couple of days: Do we know anything else other than:

Special JT shows scheduled for 2017
SoE album is scheduled for 2017

Any details regarding any of this? timeframes etc?

SOE has a title? Is it Songs Of Experience then, or something else?

(I don't wanna look through the last thread because of heaps of non-news)

Bono referred to it as Songs of Experience on the Christmas video, so yeah that's still a thing.

Ok, been out of the loop for a couple of days: Do we know anything else other than:

Special JT shows scheduled for 2017
SoE album is scheduled for 2017

Any details regarding any of this? timeframes etc?

Nope. That's it. Except for U2 fans love to make wild speculations and then complain about them.

I'm still very curious who the primary producer(s) is for SoE. We know they've worked wth Jolyon Thomas, Andy Barlow, Ryan Tedder and Steve Lillywhite.

I'm leaning towards the latter 2 having the most influence (with Barlow and Thomas having most of their work re-done or removed, like Dangermouse), as Tedder was present for most/all 2016 sessions (when most work was apparently done) and was responsible for the more commercial (and utilised on radio and tour) songs like Miracle, EBW, SFS. And I could see Lillywhite being brought in to 'tidy up' or U2-ify the more 'out there', poppy songs.

Though perhaps there are one or two more producers we haven't heard of yet.

30 years ago I was 10 years old. The Joshua Tree is old.

10 years younger than you

I'm still very curious who the primary producer(s) is for SoE. We know they've worked wth Jolyon Thomas, Andy Barlow, Ryan Tedder and Steve Lillywhite.

I'm leaning towards the latter 2 having the most influence (with Barlow and Thomas having most of their work re-done or removed, like Dangermouse), as Tedder was present for most/all 2016 sessions (when most work was apparently done) and was responsible for the more commercial (and utilised on radio and tour) songs like Miracle, EBW, SFS. And I could see Lillywhite being brought in to 'tidy up' or U2-ify the more 'out there', poppy songs.

Ugh.

Me too

I think it'll be listed as Lillywhite, Thomas and Barlow, not necessarily in that order. I'm told Tedder just sat in as a sort of consultant.

it's encouraging that there are fresh names in the mix.

lost at the end of the last thread.. conjecture on possible support acts for stadium tour!

- Oasis. Heard they were reuniting, and both band's are friends and fans of each other. Oasis surely cannot headline stadiums in America by themselves, so their only chance would be attached to U2... but would their ego allow them to accept a supporting slot? Likely not, especially since they'd likely want the headlining attention that comes with "REUNION" tour. And would a professional act like u2 risk taking on brothers with potential drama that could in the worst-case- blowup mid tour?

- Killers. Confirmed they have a new album release summer of 2017. So all though they would want their own headlining world tour for that, I could see a small limited engagement with u2 as their sort of promo tour in early spring before that release. Their only chance at playing stadiums in America, and a good way to road test some of the new songs. They are fans and have opened for u2 before, so I dont think they are above doing it again.

-oneRepublic. As far as I know they have said they plan on touring in 2017 for ohMyMy but haven't announced any dates yet. With Tedder being such a friend of the band, I could see u2 wanting to help give that stadium exposure to OneRepublic, who would probably be happy with it as one small leg of their headlining world tour.

- younger upcoming band like twenty-one pilots or (godforbid) imagine dragons. Haven't bothered to look into either of these two bands 2017 touring schedule. But I could see Bono and the boys being impressed at events like iHeart, and convinced this will help bring the younger audience out to the stadium. TJT is obviously going to bring out the older folks who lived thru the era, but they probly want to introduce it to a younger audience too.

-dj Khaled. No. Please.

Oasis would be amazing but youre right about the ego thing.. would they do a double bill maybe? The "Past Glories" Tour.

Please not the Chainsmokers. Please not the Chainsmokers.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that they're now open to the idea of touring without a new album. Maybe they realized that they don't have a lot of time left and that they're wasting valuable years working on an album instead of doing what they do best: playing live.
And maybe, just maybe, we'll finally get Exit again and Red Hill Mining Town.

I'm glad to see that they're now open to the idea of touring without a new album. Maybe they realized that they don't have a lot of time left and that they're wasting valuable years working on an album instead of doing what they do best: playing live.
And maybe, just maybe, we'll finally get Exit again and Red Hill Mining Town.

You are an Anti-New Album-ite. It's people like you that are the reason young people don't like Bono anymore and make him feel irrelevant.

younger upcoming band like twenty-one pilots or (godforbid) imagine dragons. Haven't bothered to look into either of these two bands 2017 touring schedule. But I could see Bono and the boys being impressed at events like iHeart, and convinced this will help bring the younger audience out to the stadium.

I can't imagine anyone watching those awful 21P or Imagine Dragons performances and being impressed.

I can't imagine anyone watching those awful 21P or Imagine Dragons performances and being impressed.
I'm a very casual 21P fan - not a fan of their first two albums. Always been a "bigger fan" of Imagine Dragons, saw them live 2 years ago and enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom