SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would all be so easy if they could just finish a fucking album in less than 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think it'll be

May-June 2017 - Joshua Tree Tour NORTH AMERICA (Stadiums)
July-August 2017 - Joshua Tree Tour EUROPE (Stadiums)
October-November 2017 - SOE Tour NORTH AMERICA (Maybe arenas, remember that Ticketmaster leaked Ohio date?)
February March 2018 - SOE Tour SOUTH AMERICA / OCEANIA (Stadiums)
April-June 2018 - SOE Tour ASIA / EUROPE (Arenas or Stadiums)

However, there's a rumor that the tour will begin in South America in March-April 2017
I HOPE that's true, it seems rather difficult, but I need it to happen :sad:

Last edited:
I think it'll be

May-June 2017 - Joshua Tree Tour NORTH AMERICA (Stadiums)
July-August 2017 - Joshua Tree Tour EUROPE (Stadiums)
October-November 2017 - SOE Tour NORTH AMERICA (Maybe arenas, remember that Ticketmaster leaked Ohio date?)
February March 2018 - SOE Tour SOUTH AMERICA / OCEANIA (Stadiums)
April-June 2018 - SOE Tour ASIA / EUROPE (Arenas or Stadiums)

However, there's a rumor that the tour will begin in South America in March-April 2017
I HOPE that's true, it seems rather difficult, but I need it to happen :sad:

So when is SOE coming out in your timeline? That's the main reason I think the i+e tour will start again in winter. They need time to release SOE in the fall, once the JT is over.

By the way, do we completely rule out JT shows in Latin America and Austalia? Stadium shows would be much easier to set up in these countries...

Either way, I doubt he could sing this way today. So sadly the JT shows will sound nothing like they did back in 1987. I actually shudder a little at how crappy some of these songs will sound with his current day voice.

That's where changing the key a song or two is performed in could come in handy (ex. UTEOTW live, etc.)

So when is SOE coming out in your timeline? That's the main reason I think the i+e tour will start again in winter. They need time to release SOE in the fall, once the JT is over.

By the way, do we completely rule out JT shows in Latin America and Austalia? Stadium shows would be much easier to set up in these countries...

I really have no idea when SOE might come out.

Latin America would be TONS of money for the JT tour, because in 1987 they were supposed to come down here but didn't, because of politics... and you know, Bullet The Blus Sky, One Tree Hill (Victor Jara in Chile) and Mothers Of the Disappeared (Argentina, Chile, Brasil) are songs that MUST BE PLAYED here.

The bad part is that maybe I won't be here if they come in 2018 :sad:
So I really need them to come NOW :angry:

So do you reckon the album will come out before/during the JT shows, as opposed to after?

I don't know to be honest. My theory is the special shows are just being used to get them in Stadiums for certain markets and that it will eventually run along with IE or launch SOE and IE.

This would all be so easy if they could just finish a fucking album in less than 3 years.

Three years is cause for celebration by U2 standards.

So with the tiny amount of scoop we've been getting over the past 24 hours, for now I'm assuming that the band will stay in hiding until rehearsals begin in the spring and SoE won't be released until after the mini tour. Is that more or less what the consensus is?

January 9th can't come soon enough.

I don't know to be honest. My theory is the special shows are just being used to get them in Stadiums for certain markets and that it will eventually run along with IE or launch SOE and IE.

Ah, I see. Well, that makes sense - and if the album is indeed done, as an increasing number of people are saying, going that way makes more sense than simply sitting on a complete album for three quarters of a year, and not utilising what could be a giant stadium promo tour.

But on the other hand, I could see them not wanting the JT anniversary to interfere with publicity for SoE, and thinking it's best to relegate it until the mini tour is out of the way.

So, I think this could go either way quite easily. Although the pessimist in me thinks we won't see SoE for quite a long time.

I don't see them doing both at the same time. Why do that when you can get more bang for your buck doing them separately?

15-20 stadium shows in major markets won't dilute the market for an SOE tour. Sure, maybe they only get 4/6 shows at MSG instead of 8... but if they pop into lesser played markets then it's moot.

Obviously I'd be thrilled if we get an album soon, but I just don't see it.

It's funny. Still so many think SOE is finished. If so this band would not go on Joshua Tree Anniversary tour. In fact the Joshua Tree Tour is the evidence that SOE is not ready. I expect the new album in fall 2017 and the SOE tour in 2018.

So the lucky North american cities would be L.A.,Chicago,N.Y,Bonnaroo festival and maybe Boston?Nothing in Mexico or Canada?

So the lucky North american cities would be L.A.,Chicago,N.Y,Bonnaroo and maybe Boston?Nothing in Mexico or Canada?
I think Toronto is also a lock. As for Europe, I'm thinking Madrid or Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, Stockholm or Gothenburg, Amsterdam, Paris, London and Dublin.

I talked to a friend who works for the law firm that represents U2 and he said that June 24th (a Saturday) is confirmed for a MetLife stadium show. There will be another, not sure if it'll be the following weekend or a few days before or after.

I talked to a friend who works for the law firm that represents U2 and he said that June 24th (a Saturday) is confirmed for a MetLife stadium show. There will be another, not sure if it'll be the following weekend or a few days before or after.

:hmm: Starting to fill in the blanks:

May 20 - Pasadena, CA - Rose Bowl
June 8-11 - Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo
June 24 - East Rutherford, NJ - MetLife Stadium
July ?? - Rome, Italy - Stadio Olimpico

It looks like these shows will be on weekends.

So the lucky North american cities would be L.A.,Chicago,N.Y,Bonnaroo festival and maybe Boston?Nothing in Mexico or Canada?

Actually there was a rumor last week somewhere about 2 shows at Aztec stadium in Mexico City in May. We'll see next week... this is a CRAZY!

I just have a feeling we won't be seeing SOE until later this year, in the SEP-NOV range, and then IE tour resuming in 2018.

So Live Nation is holding press events in LA and Dodgers Stadium and in Cleveland at Progressive Field tomorrow at 12:30pm to announce special concerts.

No other information is given, no artist named.

Now of course Metallica is supposed to tour this summer, rumored to be stadiums; and there's a lot of speculation about Guns N Roses as well. But maybe... just maybe...

Didn't Guns N' Roses already announce North American tour dates? I'm thinking Billy Joel, Metallica or some country artist.

Maybe they'll play the Coldplay card and play stadiums only on weekends

:hmm: Starting to fill in the blanks:

May 20 - Pasadena, CA - Rose Bowl
June 8-11 - Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo
June 24 - East Rutherford, NJ - MetLife Stadium
July ?? - Rome, Italy - Stadio Olimpico

It looks like these shows will be on weekends.

Told ya! :sexywink:

GNR is already announced. Metallica seems a strong possibility. Does Billy Joel necessitate a semi-secretive, kinda hyped press conference?

A Declan Gaffney rethink of Streets, and/or WOWY would be awesome

Hmmm. Why do I get the feeling we'll get a Sweetest thing part II, ie a B-side reworking again ? (also see the AB B-side Blow your house down re-done for the AB anniversary edition)

I mean, remixing songs off an album they weren't happy with is one thing. Tinkering with the mighty JT could be risky...

Why can't it be them tapping into some nostalgia in order to generate buzz for the album? Look at that, I sliced it different!

Sent from my iPhone using U2

Using that logic, should they not have some sort of new (ie SOE, not JT "new") sort of song to play in these stadium shows ?

"Welcome to JT30 shows but here's a new song. Stay tuned for our new album ..." etc. Or else, how do they expect people caring - or knowing - about SOE just because a few JT shows are happening ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom