SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still horribly gutted I am missing this ? at least video has improved a hell of a lot so will get to see quite a bit anyway ?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

,My concern is not that they won't complete it by late 2017, but that they'll second guess themselves and push it back into 2018. And beyond that, a fear that by 2018, they might think the concept of SoE/I&E is stale, and just decide to start from scratch with a new concept, leading to an album in 2019/2020. I think we have a good 50% chance of that.

Also the JT shows will exhaust demand in the US and Europe so I can't see them resuming the I&E tour just for the rest of the world. SOE as an album and the I&E tour are dead. The songs will find a life in some form of course.

Also the JT shows will exhaust demand in the US and Europe so I can't see them resuming the I&E tour just for the rest of the world. SOE as an album and the I&E tour are dead. The songs will find a life in some form of course.

Can't see one date in the UK exhausting demand?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

And they really like that new song they played at the JT Tour in the summer

*If there's a new song, and assuming folks wanting to hear JT care about U2's new songs...

After all the hype of I+E tour, and Adam's commnets, I am still skeptical they play the whole album. They announced I+E with the marketing of playing two different sets each night, and then as soon as they got to rehearsals they threw that out.

The setlist is going to be very hard for them to keep the balance and theatrics they always strive with playing the whole album in sequence.

I hope they decide to play the whole thing but don't hold to sequence. I have seen lots of shows like that, with some of my favorite albums of all time and I always leaving wishing they mixed up the order. U2 have so many great opportunities for incredible transitions if they don't stick to the running order.

I don't know. The I+E/2 sets was more of an idea. Even in the press release it was fully understood.

Today's email says, in bold, 'performing the album in full every night'. That is pretty straight up.

Guess we'll have to see.

I don't know. The I+E/2 sets was more of an idea. Even in the press release it was fully understood.

Today's email says, in bold, 'performing the album in full every night'. That is pretty straight up.

Guess we'll have to see.

I woudnt put it past them to decide one of the JT songs is too hard to play and instead make that song an intermission song. They are lazy.

They have to play it in full,no choice. But as we know this is U2,probably get snippets of the other songs during streets!

Sent from my SM-G935F using U2 Interference mobile app

I guess my original post was over looked:

The Joshua Tree 2017 Tour - Guy Oseary\Live Nation collaboration to repair U2's damaged reputation\public presence...Songs of Experience out in Fall all dependent on the success of this tour...you heard it here first!

I'm speculating...but...:hmm:

Sorry if I'm a pessimist but it's all bullshit.

- There will not be a new album this year.
- The I and E tour is dead.
- SOE is dead.
- U2's next album, whenever that will be, is a while away and will not be SOE.
- For TJT tour they will not play the full album, but instead just play the biggest hits from it that they always play. Along with all the other stuff from other albums they always play.

Prove me wrong.

- There will not be a new album this year.
- The I and E tour is dead.
- SOE is dead.
- U2's next album, whenever that will be, is a while away and will not be SOE.
- For TJT tour they will not play the full album, but instead just play the biggest hits from it that they always play. Along with all the other stuff from other albums they always play.

Prove me wrong.

Some will tell you that you're being negative for sake of being negative. However, I think that you have a 50% chance of being correct on all your points. However, if I&E is truly DEAD, then they need to take this Joshua Tree 2017 tour to places like Australia and South America too.

if i had to guess right now, they'll probably come out roaring and play 4-6 of their most important pre-JT songs, end with ASOH, then stop, talk about JT, and play it in it's entirety. then after the intermission/break, they'll come out roaring with the Fuck-Trump "Desire" and get all political as they build to the future, move from anger to '00's joy, and do 1-2 SOE songs. why not play new songs for all these people who bought tickets to motivate them to buy the album in the fall?

it's what i would do.

I LOVE this plan.

Seems like they're pretty insistent that all the song are being played from it.

On top of it, only 2-4 of the 11 songs are even somewhat regularly played. WOWY and Streets are the only two that have been played at almost every show in recent tours. ISHFWILF wasn't even played at 1/3 of the shows on I&E, and BTBS missed all the 360 shows altogether. For a band that usually gets criticized in these parts for not playing 'rarities' or lesser known tracks every night, getting 7 of them off of a much-liked album seems like a good start for each night.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be wrong on all of my points. I just have my worries.

Screw u2. What happened to the band that most of us fell in love with in the 80s and put their fans first? For them to not even issue an apology to their fans for yet another delay to the new album is so typical of them now, when they know very well that most of us were desperate to hear SOE after all the bs promises about earlier release dates.

Still wouldn't mind attending one of the European shows if I can however. Have always wanted to see Noel Gallagher perform live.

I woudnt put it past them to decide one of the JT songs is too hard to play and instead make that song an intermission song. They are lazy.

Or maybe this happens:

"This is Red Hill Mining Town, sing it for with me!" (lyrics scroll across video screens, Bono's mic level turned way down)

Prove me wrong.

I'm as big a cynic as anyone about this band, but you can't book a tour and say you're going to play the whole album and not do it. Maybe some of the tracks are stripped-down for an acoustic rendition (my fucking nightmare), maybe one gets abbreviated like Zooropa. But since they are obviously trying to repair their reputation after the SOI debacle, the last thing they would want is bad press for not delivering what they advertised and charged people for.

Some will tell you that you're being negative for sake of being negative. However, I think that you have a 50% chance of being correct on all your points. However, if I&E is truly DEAD, then they need to take this Joshua Tree 2017 tour to places like Australia and South America too.

I'm hanging out for a Lovetown nostalgia tour to come to Australia where we get the very best shows and set lists again.

Screw u2. What happened to the band that most of us fell in love with in the 80s and put their fans first? For them to not even issue an apology to their fans for yet another delay to the new album is so typical of them now, when they know very well that most of us were desperate to hear SOE after all the bs promises about earlier release dates.

Still wouldn't mind attending one of the European shows if I can however. Have always wanted to see Noel Gallagher perform live.

I think the band issued an apology to the fans of the 80's by going on tour and playing their biggest album in its entirely from the 80's this summer. :up:

SOE is coming this fall everyone. Bono stated it on the video and there all talking about it. We'll have new material in the summer.

I guess my original post was over looked:

The Joshua Tree 2017 Tour - Guy Oseary\Live Nation collaboration to repair U2's damaged reputation\public presence...Songs of Experience out in Fall all dependent on the success of this tour...you heard it here first!

I'm speculating...but...:hmm:

I think that's how it'll go down! Don't know if it's what they intended all along, or just making the best out of how the situation has ended up, but I think this is likely the plan now.

In fact, it works two ways: Cut through all the baggage of modern day U2 (Bono being annoying, less than stellar new material, the apple fiasco etc) and focus on/remind people of what made the band great in the first place. But also, as SoE is lyrically focused on TJT, they can play up how the new material is closely based on this classic album everyone loves. So SoE will be coming out of a focus on TJT and it's legacy as a classic album, not out of SoI and it's legacy as spam. In a way it could be introduced as 'Joshua Tree part 2' rather than 'Songs of Innocence part 2'.

I think we stand a good chance of seeing a new song at these gigs... If they haven't decided to tinker/delay SoE again.

maybe they'll do Joshua Tree start to finish, seated and acoustic, on the b-stage! Larry can play the tom-toms and Adam won't play! :hyper:

they *are* old. and they hate their fans.

I think the band issued an apology to the fans of the 80's by going on tour and playing their biggest album in its entirely from the 80's this summer. :up:

SOE is coming this fall everyone. Bono stated it on the video and there all talking about it. We'll have new material in the summer.

Adam said that they are pushing the release date back to the end of the year....maybe.

Bono is hardly a reputable source though.

dude, they're having a big party for their 30th JT birthday and YOU are invited! :D

I have to say. I love this band. That will never change. Fan til the end. I love the Joshua Tree. I was exposed to Boy/October/War when i was a wee one, and then got more interested during UF, and got full fledged fandom during Joshua Tree, then went officially nuts for Achtung Baby

But, I have seen them 16 times, I'm not as into going to see live shows as I once was. So while I will probably hit this tour, I would rather have a new album by far.

They have every right to celebrate this classic album. But it's the first time I've genuinely felt that tinge of disappointment that they have entered the final phase of their career, and instead of going out with a beautiful, poignant, album for the ages, they are doing commemorative tours of old material.

I know, they aren't "done" I hope. But this is a detour that doesn't really excite me. Although i do think it may be a good move to get older fans back into the fold and excited for SOE (or whatever it may be called). Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom