SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair enough. Looks like they probably won't make it outside of the US/Europe until 2018!

As for me, I've always been more interested in new u2 music than their tours. So the possibility of new music being delayed by a tour of an old album is especially irritating.

I think if the next official announcement we get is for straight up JT-focused shows (going from spring to summer), that'll pretty much confirm no new album until Q4 2017 at the earliest. Right now we at least have hope of an album announcement/hybrid tour before then.

Hopefully someone at U2 HQ will realise that they haven't played a show outside NA/EU since April 2011 and share the love around..

Not sure if it has to be as late as Q4 - anniversary of TJT is early March, so if the tour is limited, they could get some shows in major markets done in a month or so, so album could be June/July at the earliest (assuming a month or two off)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Not sure if it has to be as late as Q4 - anniversary of TJT is early March, so if the tour is limited, they could get some shows in major markets done in a month or so, so album could be June/July at the earliest (assuming a month or two off)

That's what I'm hoping for as well. Here's my best case scenario timeline;

May-July- No more than 20 shows across Europe and North America for the Joshua Tree
June- SOE released, U2 play various songs mixed in with the Joshua Tree shows.
Fall- The I+E tour FINALLY resumes with the already planned North American leg going as planned (the one with the Columbus date in October that was leaked)
Jan-April 2018- Australia, Asia, South America
Summer 2018- Europe I+E Tour, finally ending SOI era that began 4 years prior!!
2020- Songs of Ascent!!!

There WILL be shows in the spring. I trust my guy Bob Sacamano's source. Guy sells killer Russian hats.

Have zero clue whether it's for a new album, the Joshua Tree 30th, or both. But it is happening, and if it's happening in spring, well shit we're just 2 months away from spring, aren't we? Announcement must be soon.

Last edited:
Hopefully it's new album. Sitting in it until Q4 means new songs written and more delays.

Like I've suggested in the setlist thread, the JT shows could actually be part of the SOE promo - essentially the biggest promo tour the band have ever done.

They've already indicated SOE relates to the experience of becoming a massive band with JT. So release SOE's lead single, spend a month playing JT shows in the biggest NA/European markets with that lead single and one or two other SOE songs in the setlist, then drop the album and resume the IE Tour later in the year. Begin the year by playing the experience, then tour the songs about the experience.

Like I've suggested in the setlist thread, the JT shows could actually be part of the SOE promo - essentially the biggest promo tour the band have ever done.

They've already indicated SOE relates to the experience of becoming a massive band with JT. So release SOE's lead single, spend a month playing JT shows in the biggest NA/European markets with that lead single and one or two other SOE songs in the setlist, then drop the album and resume the IE Tour later in the year. Begin the year by playing the experience, then tour the songs about the experience.

:up:

If this is not the plan, then it should be.

Sounds like it could be a rehash of the War/TUF tour formula, with a couple SOE songs (if they're smart) and JT to do the heavy lifting. Notably there were only 2-3 months between pre-tour and the album coming out / tour resuming each time.

War

21 shows Dec '82 (SBS, NYD & Surrender played at most/all shows)
Tour starts/resumes proper Feb 26 '83
Album Feb 28 '83

TUF

19 shows Aug/Sep '84 (Pride played at most/all shows, ASOH, Wire & TUF played at some shows)
Album Oct 1 '84
Tour starts/resumes proper Oct 18 '84

That's the only scenario that would allow for SOE to be released before heading out on the JT "tour". If it wasn't for that tiny possibility I'd say rumors of SOE being released in jan are compleze bs. BUT it is still strange when you consider how the emphasis of that little Christmas video was very clearly on JT and not on SOE.

i reckon they should give you a job - you probably actually know more about the workings of this band than the current manager does :lol:

It's been a while but do you think The Best Thing will make it on the new album ?

Throwback to august, when i thought this would be the lead single, released in september :lol:

Last edited:
Man, it should be. I know it didn't tickle some people here, but it certainly had potential to actually permeate the public consciousness in a way they haven't since Vertigo. Shame they didn't get it out in time for iHeart to promote the shit out of it.

Man, it should be. I know it didn't tickle some people here, but it certainly had potential to actually permeate the public consciousness in a way they haven't since Vertigo. Shame they didn't get it out in time for iHeart to promote the shit out of it.

That's exactly what i think ! But they've missed a serious opportunity... They should have released it in September as this song (i mean Kygo's Remix) has some good summer vibes.
I hope TBT won't be left out in the new album

I'm sure that if iHeart was willing to promote the shit out it back then, they will be willing to promote the shit out of it whenever (and if) it is released. Probably some sort of deal is in place in this regard.

Hope so. I don' t really care so much if I hear them on the radio, but hey clearly do

That's a great shout Axver. Also, with U2's history of album leaks ever since POP (with the exception of SOI which was only completed shortly before release), they would be crazy to sit on a completed album until the Autumn/Winter. Something would be bound to leak. But, then again, U2 are crazy.

Songs of Experience (like SoI) sounds like a very retrospective, introspective concept, so introducing it alongside an older, definitive album by touring both - or using JT shows as a promo tour for SoE - seems quite appropriate. The more i think about it, the less i think JT anniversary shows have to get in the way of/delay SoE (though i'm sure they still could).

I like the idea of them playing a SoE single right after something big from JT like Streets, WoWY, or ISHFWILF, with Bono explaining "those JT songs were some of the most defining of our career, and playing them for you is one of the most powerful moments in our lives; this new song is about that feeling". I dunno, maybe that's too cheesy, but I imagine SoE has that sort of theme anyway.

A Journal of Musical ThingsRock Is Going to Make a Big Comeback in 2017. These Albums Will Lead the Way. - A Journal of Musical Things

Alan Cross:
1.U2, Songs of Experience(?)

This year will mark the 30th anniversary of the release of The Joshua Tree and plans are afoot for a major stadium tour and Bono refuses to go on the road without a new album to promote. Word is that recording wrapped up in November (well, as wrapped up as U2 ever wraps up an album). Quote from someone close to the band: “U2 is great at making albums, but they’re terrible at finishing them.” I’ve heard bits of the record (my source is DEEP inside the U2 organization), too. Prediction: News by February.

Ahh, our good old friend Alan Cross. He has an account here. I can't remember how accurate we decided his deep source was.

Incidentally, when I was in Toronto recently, I definitely spent time listening to his FM station specifically to hear him. He certainly seemed wildly knowledgeable about music in general.

"plans are afoot for a major stadium tour and Bono refuses to go on the road without a new album to promote"

Well that certainly bodes well for SoE being released before/during the JT tour rather than being pushed back towards the end of the year. Sure hope it's true.

Yeah - I just have niggling doubts over it, because if the supposed 'issues' with it were minor enough that they could be fixed in a month, why did they go on holidays for a month before rehearsing for iHeart and lose that as a massive platform for the release? It was a good marketing plan that they completely lost.

I also find it hard to believe Bono hasn't written a song about Trump that he just HAS to squeeze into the album

I mentioned a while back that there is always a possibility that the album was delayed or tinkered with for some sort of anti-Trump tune...I was subsequently treated like a leper. lol

I mentioned a while back that there is always a possibility that the album was delayed or tinkered with for some sort of anti-Trump tune...I was subsequently treated like a leper. lol

There just isn't much precedent there. I mean, first of all I can't see how it would fit thematically. Secondly, Bono's political songs are usually rather vague and rarely speak to one person. Now I can see him doing some JT style "rants" about him, but I can't see that being a reason to drag out the album.

There just isn't much precedent there. I mean, first of all I can't see how it would fit thematically. Secondly, Bono's political songs are usually rather vague and rarely speak to one person. Now I can see him doing some JT style "rants" about him, but I can't see that being a reason to drag out the album.

I think it will be a veiled jab at Trump. Like, the title won't be "F Trump" but rather Bono rambling about the need for freedom, build bridges, not walls, America is an idea not a place etc...

What I got from that Alan Cross bit is that his source is our very own Deep.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom