SOE 16: Protect This House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutting the tour short ? Are they not gonna play second time in US, Europe and ROW this time around ?

360 was succesful, yes. Still doesn't change the facts about the album gaps and a worldwide arena tour bringing more money than 20 or 30 JT shows.

So...where's Live Nation pressuring U2 to speed up the release of SOE ? And I think a band of their experience and stature would be crazy to get in such a conundrum. That said I wonder what Oseary thinks about this.

innocence and experience was quite obviously supposed to have two parts based around the two albums. The first part stopped in anticipation of the second album finishing. The longer it goes without being completed, the less likely it is that it ever picks up again at all. They wasted all of 2016 without touring, and now they're entering 2017 without it being clear that they're any closer.

Live Nation knows that U2 is a global cash cow and doesn't want to waste the formative years of their contract. They're one of the few remaining global draws at a massive level.

So they strongly suggest that U2 gets their shit together and gets on the road.

And no, a worldwide arena your does not equal more money than 30 stadium gigs. Innocence and Experience played 76 shows and grossed $152 million. That's $2.1 million per show. More dates, more cities means more overhead.

360 did $736 million over 110 shows. That's $6.69 million per show. So even if it's a normal set up and not 360, they still would make more in a stadium tour than in an arena tour by a significant margin, and could make the same in a stadium tour that they would in an arena tour in half the time.

Didn't you change your mind to SOE being finished?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I did, indeed!

Finished after they'd decided on spring / summer stadium tour.

Whatever we get.. Here's to 2017 folks. Gonna be a big year for u2 fans! Even if we have to wait 9 months to get SOE

We could get SOE on January 1st or December 31st of 2017. Either way Bono isn't lying.

There's also the prospect that the iHeart and Dreamforce gigs were part of a planned promo tour for SOE, leading into a stadium tour in 2017... and when SOE remained unfinished, they improvised and came up with a way to not cancel the plans while buying more time to finish (ha!) the album.

If there was going to be a stadium tour anyway (and SoE is indeed finished), that gives me hope that we'll get some sort of hybrid SoE/JT show.

As someone pointed out, playing the entirety of JT, even with a couple of B-sides, wouldn't make a full setlist. That, on top of the craziness of sitting on top of a completed album for the majority of a year, makes me think it's viable that we might get an early 2017 release of SoE, even if JT is being promoted too.

If there was going to be a stadium tour anyway (and SoE is indeed finished), that gives me hope that we'll get some sort of hybrid SoE/JT show.

As someone pointed out, playing the entirety of JT, even with a couple of B-sides, wouldn't make a full setlist. That, on top of the craziness of sitting on top of a completed album for the majority of a year, makes me think it's viable that we might get an early 2017 release of SoE, even if JT is being promoted too.
Obviously they wouldn't play shows only of the Joshua tree. When other acts have done full album shows it's generally the album plus a full set of hits. It would be a full show not just JT era stuff.

Yeah, I see. Well, if there is a sufficient enough gap in the set, SoE could fill it, potentially?

Or maybe we'll just get JT + hits... Just seems so crazy to put a finished album on the shelf!

An example for those confused as o what a set playing a full album tends to look... This is from the Pearl Jam show in Philly earlier this year on the 25th Anniversary of the release of Ten.

Pearl Jam
Wells Fargo Center
Philadelphia, PA
29-4-2016
BAND ON STAGE 8:35 PM LOCAL
BAND OF STAGE 11:28 PM LOCAL

SETLIST

Ten
1.ONCE
2.EVEN FLOW
3.ALIVE
4.WHY GO
5.BLACK
6.JEREMY
7.OCEANS
8.PORCH
9.GARDEN
10.DEEP
11.RELEASE

12.BREAKERFALL
13.CORDUROY
14.WHO YOU ARE
15.LET THE RECORDS PLAY
16.SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE
17.DO THE EVOLUTION

ENCORE 1

18.BEE GIRL
19.JUST BREATHE
20.ALL OR NONE
21.COMFORTABLY NUMB
22.MYM
23.GIVEN TO FLY
24.DAUGHTER / ITS OK /WMA TAG
25. REARVIEWMIRROR

ENCORE 2

26.LAST KISS
27.BETTER MAN
28.LEASH
29.THROW YOUR HATRED DOWN
30.SONIC REDUCER
31.BABA O'REILLY
32.YELLOW LEDBETTER/STAR SPANGLED BANNER

Last edited:
As someone pointed out, playing the entirety of JT, even with a couple of B-sides, wouldn't make a full setlist.

They could play an original JT tour setlist. Actually that'd be interesting since they'd then be commemorating both the album and tour.

That is still barely 2 hours though but it gets them a lot closer to a full show than playing just the JT album.

Last edited:
JT main set, Pop encore, Beautiful Day/Vertigo as rotating "surprise" song

One thought I just had; what if these JT shows have been in the works for a long time. What if I&E was supposed to last all through 2016, and then the tour was to end in early 2017 in Australia/SOuth America as originally reported, and THEN the plan was to do this small JT tour? And now the timing is all fucked up regarding SOE, but they've got this Joshua Tree thing that they've committed to. Just another way to look at it.

I'm getting more excited about the possibility of a JT Tour that I might actually be able to see next year. If U2 decides to resurrect the Zoo TV tour for the 30th anniversary of Achtung Baby, then fuck it... my ass is going AWOL from my job and following that shit from city to city!

Haha yeah that's not a bad point actually (about it all being planned ahead)

As for zoo TV I remember someone here saying when they saw the start of u2s Glastonbury set it was as close as you could get to witnessing the real thing (no pun intended) which I definitely agree with

not sure how I'd feel about a full on anniversary thing though. Seems like they got it right on 360. As long as they don't go all in and dress up in those zoo TV uniforms they could probably get away with it. ;)

One thought I just had; what if these JT shows have been in the works for a long time. What if I&E was supposed to last all through 2016, and then the tour was to end in early 2017 in Australia/SOuth America as originally reported, and THEN the plan was to do this small JT tour? And now the timing is all fucked up regarding SOE, but they've got this Joshua Tree thing that they've committed to. Just another way to look at it.

I don't buy that since it would mean they have managed to keep the JT shows under wraps for a long time. If it was planned ages ago then it would have leaked out at some point.

Looking forward to "Bullet" on the new tour with anti Trump stuff. Should be fun.

Don't count on it. Will be seriously impressed if there is, but can't see bono openly mocking the american president (blech).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I for 1, appreciate poster RD hinting from his sauces.

He mentioned enlisting a mega band for support slot to ensure stadium ticket sales, and that got me thinking about some contenders.

- Oasis. Heard they were reuniting, and both band's are friends and fans of each other. Oasis surely cannot headline stadiums in America by themselves, so their only chance would be attached to U2... but would their ego allow them to accept a supporting slot? Likely not, especially since they'd likely want the headlining attention that comes with "REUNION" tour. And would a professional act like u2 risk taking on brothers with potential drama that could in the worst-case- blowup mid tour?

- Killers. Confirmed they have a new album release summer of 2017. So all though they would want their own headlining world tour for that, I could see a small limited engagement with u2 as their sort of promo tour in early spring before that release. Their only chance at playing stadiums in America, and a good way to road test some of the new songs. They are fans and have opened for u2 before, so I dont think they are above doing it again.

-oneRepublic. As far as I know they have said they plan on touring in 2017 for ohMyMy but haven't announced any dates yet. With Tedder being such a friend of the band, I could see u2 wanting to help give that stadium exposure to OneRepublic, who would probably be happy with it as one small leg of their headlining world tour.

- younger upcoming band like twenty-one pilots or (godforbid) imagine dragons. Haven't bothered to look into either of these two bands 2017 touring schedule. But I could see Bono and the boys being impressed at events like iHeart, and convinced this will help bring the younger audience out to the stadium. TJT is obviously going to bring out the older folks who lived thru the era, but they probly want to introduce it to a younger audience too.

-dj Khaled. No. Please.

I can't remember when the subject last came up, maybe it was before SOI when the band mentioned playing multiple shows in the same place. I've always thought it would be interesting for a band like U2 to play some small one off shows which are themed, then filmed and released. They go through their albums, playing a full one each night in the first half plus whatever the hell they want in the second half. Would be great to have each record performed live, even if it's just the once. It'll never happen for all the well known challenges they see, to have with rehearsing and certain songs, but I can dream.

At the moment I'm just looking forward to hearing new music to be honest.

innocence and experience was quite obviously supposed to have two parts based around the two albums. The first part stopped in anticipation of the second album finishing. The longer it goes without being completed, the less likely it is that it ever picks up again at all. They wasted all of 2016 without touring, and now they're entering 2017 without it being clear that they're any closer.

Live Nation knows that U2 is a global cash cow and doesn't want to waste the formative years of their contract. They're one of the few remaining global draws at a massive level.

So they strongly suggest that U2 gets their shit together and gets on the road.

And no, a worldwide arena your does not equal more money than 30 stadium gigs. Innocence and Experience played 76 shows and grossed $152 million. That's $2.1 million per show. More dates, more cities means more overhead.

360 did $736 million over 110 shows. That's $6.69 million per show. So even if it's a normal set up and not 360, they still would make more in a stadium tour than in an arena tour by a significant margin, and could make the same in a stadium tour that they would in an arena tour in half the time.

Well they just announced SOE is coming so...no reason the tour won't continue.

And...really ? Comparing 2 arena legs to a special setup worldwide stadium tour ?

Well they just announced SOE is coming so...no reason the tour won't continue.

And...really ? Comparing 2 arena legs to a special setup worldwide stadium tour ?
Do you own a calculator?

Obviously the special shows would depend upon how many shows they actually do... but Stadium gigs make significantly more per show than arena gigs. That's called math and common sense. If stadium gigs didn't make more money, nobody would ever do a stadium gig.

Plus, ya know, math.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom