SOE 15: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allllllright here's a new tidbit to go over!

Consequence of Sound published a long write-up & interview with Ryan Tedder today (link here) and he's talking a lot about writing and co-producing for Adele, Beyonce, U2, etc..

The article ends with him talking about his experience working with U2 and he teased this about the direction of SOE (U2 page link):

you can’t expect a 20-year-old to gravitate to a U2 record if it’s not put in the context of what they listen to today.

i'm sorry but that is so patronising to 20-year-olds :down:

they're not all bloody dumb and dumber, don't need to dumb it all down and spoonfeed the music to them...

my 18 and 20 year olds pick and choose the music they like - if the songs are strong that's all that matters, don't dress it up in a dance beat to attract the discerning ears... oh man that smacks of desperation - that's it i hate the songs already :D

Last edited:
So the album is done but they're waiting for the bonus remix album to be done?

Or are they remixing the album and then releasing the remixes as the album (which would be a fucking nightmare)?

Or maybe a little bit of both?

Perhaps the majority of the album is done, but they're shopping out 2-3 potential singles to get remixed into the perfect hit. Or, shopping out just 1 song (likely TBT) to multiple DJ's and seeing who produces the best result.

Tedder said in a recent interview that he was talking to Bono about how every musician these days needs a Calvin Harris-type DJ to remix their singles to make them successful.

I reckon they're trying to get the 'perfect' mix of 1/2/3 singles (and these days it means remixes).

This would explain the weird odyssey of The Best Thing having a Kygo remix, then getting mixed by Lillywhite, all but 1 band member signing off on everything, and then deciding the album 'isn't finished'. They're probably honing the perfect EDM-mix of SoE's lead single.

So it seems U2 have been working the entire time (or most of it) with Ryan Tedder, and are now getting songs remixed by DJ's. It makes the development of SoE seem a lot more focused and streamlined. Sounds better than doing really esoteric work inspired by North Africa or with Danger Mouse, only to polish it with completely unrelated people (like Epworth and Tedder).

Hmmm...if any of this is true, it sounds like U2 has been "dreaming it all up again" ala the New Year's Eve show in 1989(?)...albeit with a host of producers in tow...

Could we be looking another reinvention of the band that brought us AB, Zooropa, Pop?

Tedder sounds like U2 is making 11 Discoteches:lol:

Could see this going either way actually. Having a DJ-produced lead single or two, or creating an 'alternate' album on top of SoE that can be pushed to clubs and appropriate radio stations, therefore maximising the reach of the album.

Either way, it sounds to me like we're not too far from a release (unless of course, they scrap this whole entire album, because why not). If they're doing remixes, the core album is probably done, and I don't think remixes would take that long.

Would also explain the DJ Khaled "top secret" connection... which we've discussed as a possible sign towards doing a disc 2 of remixes before.

But im worried that they're considering releasing the remixes AS the songs in their obsession with "hits" and relevance and staying cool with the kids.

I'm going to go with SoE and then a remixed dancey 2nd disc:dance:

It'd be nice if U2 could release an album that commercial alternative radio would get behind and play songs from the way KROQ in Southern CA does whenever Red Hot Chili Peppers release a new album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

they're not all bloody dumb and dumber, don't need to dumb it all down and spoonfeed the music to them...

my 18 and 20 year olds pick and choose the music they like - if the songs are strong that's all that matters, don't dress it up in a dance beat to attract the discerning ears... oh man that smacks of desperation - that's it i hate the songs already :D

I don't think there were any negative connotations to 20 year olds - just saying music today is different. He didn't indicate whether it was better or worse, and considering he is part of music today, is argue he was in fact being complimentary to 20 year olds

I don't think there were any negative connotations to 20 year olds - just saying music today is different. He didn't indicate whether it was better or worse, and considering he is part of music today, is argue he was in fact being complimentary to 20 year olds

sounds like he's assuming that to reach 20-year-olds you have to get a dj and a dance beat on it (which is pretty narrow minded and insulting to those who are music lovers)

It'd be nice if U2 could release an album that commercial alternative radio would get behind and play songs from the way KROQ in Southern CA does whenever Red Hot Chili Peppers release a new album.

it would just be nice if they would be true to themselves

I'd have a good laugh if they decided that SOE is not finished now.... just to release an actually finished album as a remix album... and just that... in spring 2017..... I mean... I have no problem with good electronic music.... but that is rather underground stuff....

But if U2 go mainstream EDM... just to be kewl (!) with the kids....

No... don't think that's going to happen....

A 2nd remix disc.... yeah... why not...

As a 22-year old U2 fan, I'm offended. lol

Sigh. Hard to believe how things have turned out following their interview with U Talkin' U2 guys last year... played 4 songs, wanted to go for a Zooropa-like turnaround, and now we are back in the over-thinking and remixing stage for hits and the youths.

Sigh x2.

We need more Crazy Tonight's!!!!! Where's WIL.i.Am?????

U2 is like that one guy that every graduating class has that is still hanging around the high school looking for girls when he's 23.

This place sometimes...

Tedder specifically said "remixes" not producing, this will be in addition to their original album.

Look, it makes sense. I know people even in their 30s that won't give U2 a chance but love Skrillex and would listen to something he was attached to. Plus it fits with their arc, SOI had a lot of connection to their 80's, and the 90's is when they really got into remixes and electronic music.

This place sometimes...

Tedder specifically said "remixes" not producing, this will be in addition to their original album.

Look, it makes sense. I know people even in their 30s that won't give U2 a chance but love Skrillex and would listen to something he was attached to. Plus it fits with their arc, SOI had a lot of connection to their 80's, and the 90's is when they really got into remixes and electronic music.

To me this all says the album is largely done, if they're shopping for remixes. That Tedder would say they're still on that stage (rather than still/going back to writing or recording) suggests that whatever delay happened in september wasn't a catastrophic one. So all in all I'm getting an optimistic vibe. :up:

I love the idea of a secondary album of remixes. We could hear completely different versions of the same songs, which sounds really cool. Plus, it's a clever way for U2 to have their cake and eat it too - a traditional 'rock' album, with dance-based music to reach a wider audience by tying in with younger artists and a more contemporary genre.

A delay for the sake of remixes makes sense if you consider that sort of release approach. Even if the remixes aren't on the 'proper' album, they'll likely still be singles/mixes given to clubs and certain radio stations to promote SoE, and connect U2 to a younger audience. So I can easily imagine that SoE is already finished right now, but that they're holding off on a release until a few great remixes are done.

Maybe they should get the guy who produced the new Chili Peppers album...

ohhhhhhhhhh wait, they dumped him for "hits"

U2 is like that one guy that every graduating class has that is still hanging around the high school looking for girls when he's 23.

That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age. ...

I don't think it is patronising at all. I'm really into trying to connect with the music my 11 year old son is into and there are some interesting bands out there. Their music has really good beats. My son and daughter really like U2 songs and know quite a few of them. I think it would be cool for them to like the lyrics and think the beats are catchy as well. In my teens and 20's I gravitated to the catchy dance remixes SATS comes to mind so I guess they were pandering to me then...it worked!! :)

Last edited:
I don't think it is patronising at all. I'm really into trying to connect with the music my 11 year old son is into and there are some interesting bands out there. Their music has really good beats. My son and daughter really like U2 songs and know quite a few of them. I think it would be cool for them to like the lyrics and think the beats are catchy as well. In my teens and 20's I gravitated to the catchy dance remixes SATS comes to mind so I guess they were pandering to me then...it worked!! :)

In my teens and 20s I pretty much ignored U2's remixes. Maybe I'm too much of a ROCK purist... I have never considered listening to hip hop / rap / R&B. I have nothing against it, I just never really liked it. To me, remixes were always taking up space that a real B-side could've been taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom