SOE 15: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So based on rumours this summer about the style of release for SoE - traditional method, single then album 1-2 months later, rather than surprise album all at once - and based on NLOTH's similar release timing...

I'd say earliest we'll hear something is January, maybe we'll get a magazine preview in December if they're not going for a surprise announcement. Single in january, album in march.

Ugh, that's potentially 3 months of waiting before potentially being told "it's looking like late summer, early autumn 2017". I hope it doesn't come to that... It all depends on how much work they feel this album needs.

So based on rumours this summer about the style of release for SoE - traditional method, single then album 1-2 months later, rather than surprise album all at once - and based on NLOTH's similar release timing...

I'd say earliest we'll hear something is January, maybe we'll get a magazine preview in December if they're not going for a surprise announcement. Single in january, album in march.

Ugh, that's potentially 3 months of waiting before potentially being told "it's looking like late summer, early autumn 2017". I hope it doesn't come to that... It all depends on how much work they feel this album needs.

As far as i can tell, they are all in different parts of the world at the moment. they don't seem to be too stressed...i think that bodes well in that the album is just about done...but then again, i've been saying that same damn thing for months now.:reject:

Whatevs........

As far as i can tell, they are all in different parts of the world at the moment. they don't seem to be too stressed...i think that bodes well in that the album is just about done...but then again, i've been saying that same damn thing for months now.:reject:

Whatevs........

Yeah, to be fair, Adam simply said they weren't sure it was finished, and they decided it wasn't. And that they're going to work until christmas. So that sounds like they need to polish the album off rather than drastically rethink anything.

No talk of hitting rich song-writing veins, or not having the big songs.

So that's... something, I guess?

My educated guess is this... they had the album done and ready, played it to a few people, decided there wasn't a "hit" there... passed the album along to a bunch of DJs in search of a hit (see the Ryan Tedder quote about rock bands not having a hit without a DJ)... liked what they heard, but then started trying to play it live and realized they couldn't, and are now back to the drawing board trying to figure out how they can capture the "vibe" of the DJ mixes but in a way that is just the 4 of them and Terry playing.

See ya in 3/4 years.

My educated guess is this... they had the album done and ready, played it to a few people, decided there wasn't a "hit" there... passed the album along to a bunch of DJs in search of a hit (see the Ryan Tedder quote about rock bands not having a hit without a DJ)... liked what they heard, but then started trying to play it live and realized they couldn't, and are now back to the drawing board trying to figure out how they can capture the "vibe" of the DJ mixes but in a way that is just the 4 of them and Terry playing.

See ya in 3/4 years.

:applaud: :lol:

Or they re scheduled the tour from fall 2016 to spring 2017.... just to buy more time to finish SOE.. and it is basically done..... the second disc with all these remixes for the deluxe version has to be finalized....

:applaud: [emoji38]

Or they re scheduled the tour from fall 2016 to spring 2017.... just to buy more time to finish SOE.. and it is basically done..... the second disc with all these remixes for the deluxe version has to be finalized....
I don't buy the tour rescheduling excuse. Acts sell tickets so far in advance now that it doesn't matter. Coldplay just put tickets on sale a year in advance. I bought my wide Adele tickets for her December birthday last year and the show was a month ago. It doesn't matter anymore.

See ya in 3/4 years.

Yeah, I can totally see that.

On a similar note, I was (wildly) speculating that they had an album ready to go, or were close (still looking for a 'hit'), then Kygo mixed or remixed TBT - which let's face it, sounds a hell of a lot more like a hit in this climate than the Miracle, or GoYB - and they realised they wanted a whole album of that sort of stuff.

So perhaps now they're tearing down and rearranging everything they have, whilst also writing more (I.e. back to the drawing board like you suggest).

Then again, if things were that hectic, I really don't think Adam would say they "decided the album is unfinished", and that they're working until christmas for a march/april release. I think he would've either been more vague ("yeah, we're still working on it, not sure when it'll come out"), or have given a further release date ("we're looking at late 2017").

A less doomsday option is that it really does only need finishing touches - there was one rumour that only one member of the band got cold feet, and everyone else signed off, so maybe not much needs to be done (especially if Adam's saying they're working up until christmas... that's only a couple months away).

As far as the whereabouts of the band are concerned, Adam and Edge are in Dublin. Edge's wife might be on her way as well which might suggest a longer stay. Larry is hiding and surprisingly no Bono sightings. But yeah, they could actually be working in Dublin. I hope so. If we have to put up with another delay, I can't take vacation pictures anymore... Ffs finish the damn album...

2 1/2 years; still the quickest turnaround since Zooropa.

The Kyro song IS a remix, did you read his description? Plus we've heard a clip of the nonremixed version.

We will see the album and return of the tour in 2017.

Some in here like the drama too much.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Is it possible the unremixed version we heard was done by Kygo as well? We don't know for sure what state TBT was in when U2 handed to him, before he worked on it.

Anyway, I think I agree with you, there's more pointing towards only finishing touches being done rather than drastic overhauls (for now, at least).

Once iHeart came and went with nothing we knew it was going to be about March anyway, so Adam's comments aren't making anything worse.
Unless of course they start making comments about "just seeing where the music takes us".....

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

Is it possible the unremixed version we heard was done by Kygo as well? We don't know for sure what state TBT was in when U2 handed to him, before he worked on it.

Anyway, I think I agree with you, there's more pointing towards only finishing touches being done rather than drastic overhauls (for now, at least).

He said he did production around it, which means he was handed something finished. The Kyro mix we heard was done for the club and his live show, that's not an album or radio mix.

Ahh gotcha. Yeah I certainly couldn't see the mix we've all heard (the one played in Norway) being a radio single. And there's no way U2 could play it live.

But he also mentioned that U2 had the original mix lying around and didn't know what to do with it... that to me implies it was either unfinished, or something they weren't happy with?

We've had plenty of dates in the past. They've blown right through them.

Guys, we're not getting Songs of Experience.

We've been played every single time since ATYCLB.

I'm going to start going through life under the assumption that no new U2 music will ever come out. If we get something, great. If not, I already accounted for it.

Throwback to when the rumors were a speedy 2014 follow up before Christmas. What a joke.

oh stop it

don't forget a lot has happened since then, not to mention B-man's accident and huge recovery time - that alone would have taken months out of whatever plans they may have had

seriously can't understand the drama - just get on with enjoying life (if that's possible in this crazy fucked-up world right now) and see any new music as a gift not an entitlement

Or it means it's like what TCB was to SOI, it just didn't fit.

Yeah, makes sense.

... All the more reason for it to get played/released this week :hyper:

(I don't actually think that will happen)

So at the moment we are looking at 18 months between tour legs... is it still the same tour? I'm sure no one has had a gap that big before.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

The tour will be the same stage setup and name and no one aside from us diehards will notice or care

This is disappointing news, but when I remember to maintain perspective I'm simply grateful that the band are still working on new music at all.

The fact that U2 handed something they didn't know what to do with to Kygo, doesn't mean it was finished. Nor does it mean that it will ever be finished and published. They could very well have decided that TBT should be a collaboration, a one off. It could also end up on SOE. We don't know. But we might know more after Kygo's show and release.

I'm CERTAIN both versions of TBT we've heard are Kygo remixes.

It makes zero sense that U2 would play their own (unfinished) version and then play a Kygo remix.

How would that conversation go? Bono: "hey Edge, come over here a minute. I've got Kygo's remix of The Best Thing for us to listen to. But FIRST I'm gonna play that shit version we've already heard hundreds of times but didn't like"

Surely they were just listening to a couple of different mixes that Kygo sent them.

I'm CERTAIN both versions of TBT we've heard are Kygo remixes.

It makes zero sense that U2 would play their own (unfinished) version and then play a Kygo remix.

How would that conversation go? Bono: "hey Edge, come over here a minute. I've got Kygo's remix of The Best Thing for us to listen to. But FIRST I'm gonna play that shit version we've already heard hundreds of times but didn't like"

Surely they were just listening to a couple of different mixes that Kygo sent them.

They are different. There are different lyrics (Kygo version "there's no risky thing", normal "got a golden ring"), different instrumentation, and there are big changes in structure (no phased vocal breakdown in the normal version).

(especially if Adam's saying they're working up until christmas... that's only a couple months away).

Don't take words of the band members at face value ... Adam said the same thing in October 2013 about finishing SOI before Christmas (2013) ... when was SOI released? September 2014

He added: “We’re in the studio. We’re trying to get these 12 songs absolutely right and get them finished by the end of November, and then we can kind of enjoy Christmas.”

U2 aim to finish work on new album in November - Uncut

The fact that U2 handed something they didn't know what to do with to Kygo, doesn't mean it was finished. Nor does it mean that it will ever be finished and published. They could very well have decided that TBT should be a collaboration, a one off. It could also end up on SOE. We don't know. But we might know more after Kygo's show and release.
Nah. We won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom