SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if they had truly wanted to have a single ready for this event, they surely could have spent the time in the studio and worked hard to make it happen. they clearly preferred to spend their time on the beach rather than focus on their careers, though.

it's not a matter of "oh well, it's just not ready cause they want it to be good". they were lazy and wasted a golden marketing opportunity (yet again). it's undeniably a major failure from a business perspective.

the work ethic of this band truly has evaporated to the point where i wonder if they even really care anymore.

:up: :up: :up:
Hit the nail on the head.
This is what makes it so frustrating.

Just playing devils avocado... would debuting a new song at a festival where your performance wasn't even televised and at a really late start time on the west coast really be a good idea? It wouldn't hurt.... But I'm sure once the time comes U2's brute force promotion will kick in and not debuting anything last night won't even matter.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just playing devils avocado... would debuting a new song at a festival where your performance wasn't even televised and at a really late start time on the west coast really be a good idea? It wouldn't hurt.... But I'm sure once the time comes U2's brute force promotion will kick in and not debuting anything last night won't even matter.

Bingo. They have the tie in with Khaled, presumably with Apple Music, the Kygo stuff, the rest of the tour, Jimmy Fallon, SNL etc.

I wasn't even aware of the festival until recently when I remembered it was the festival where Billy Joe Armstrong had a live meltdown.

You have to see there is some sort of assumption you are making there. If they truly wanted to have a single ready for this album... is there actually any official report that the band wanted to. An equal degree of speculation is to ask, what if they had other plans all along?

Nowhere else but on internet message boards are people even a little mad at u2 for what happened yesterday, and we have no official reason to be. We can sure form opinions by making inferences from their actions, doesn't mean they are right.

Unless of course there was official news that they were looking to play or release a new song at iHeart.

And I am one of those desperately hoping, and had even talked myself into saying that a new song was a near cert, and some kind of release a cert. I am disappointed because it was a letdown, but in no way am I certain that the band are to blame.

Other than talking about the next album as soon as they released the first one, that is.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Edit: reeally sorry about quoting myself. Was trying to put in an 'am' before 'disappointed'. Bloody mobile app.

Last edited:
40 y/o band fulfills a contractual obligation, plays music festival with limited time, plays a few of their Biggest Hits.

Naturally a fan message board flips out.

Wtf?!

What is wrong with some of you?

They play the most inspired version of Desire I've seen in over 20 years, Bono sings Pride better than I've seen in who knows how long, Bono sings One quite passionately, Vertigo kind of kicked a** (including a new echo effect on "hurt"), etc etc.

And people are complaining?

Bono sounded outstanding overall. How was he croaky?

I am actually confused as to this reaction. Yea, we all would have liked a new song or two and the greatest hits thing can get old (although appropriate in this setting)...but this was much BETTER than I expected.

So Bono flubbed part of Beautiful Day. Who cares?

I honestly thought his voice sounded rough for most of the set, like he was tired or had a cold. And I'm honestly surprised you didn't hear that.

That's all I've got. I'm exhausted (but not surprised) by the reaction. I had mild disappointment that I'd bothered to stay up for it, but whatever.

My thought as well. If they aren't ready for the album then there's no point in trying to force it, especially if they weren't feeling good about how it sounded prior to the event.

if they had truly wanted to have a single ready for this event, they surely could have spent the time in the studio and worked hard to make it happen. they clearly preferred to spend their time on the beach rather than focus on their careers, though.

it's not a matter of "oh well, it's just not ready cause they want it to be good". they were lazy and wasted a golden marketing opportunity (yet again). it's undeniably a major failure from a business perspective.

the work ethic of this band truly has evaporated to the point where i wonder if they even really care anymore.

"they were lazy"

"major failure"

"wonder if they even really care"

Yeah, this is a tad ridiculous. Lazy is not a word I'd use to describe this band, in spite of our perception of last night or the last 6 weeks.

I honestly thought his voice sounded rough for most of the set, like he was tired or had a cold. And I'm honestly surprised you didn't hear that.

That's all I've got. I'm exhausted (but not surprised) by the reaction. I had mild disappointment that I'd bothered to stay up for it, but whatever.
:up:

I don't regret staying up late because I never get tired of live U2. However, I'm slightly disappointed that no new material surfaced, and my mood was already going downhill when Bono said in the interview before taking the stage that SOE is coming out next year.

Maybe it was the best decision not to debut anything because of their late set time, but there were quite a lot of fans tuning in. The show's also airing on TV in the next few weeks, so instead of airing 4 hits, they could have shown 3 and a new song - that would have gotten the song a little bit of exposure, although I doubt many people would be watching the broadcast.

Whatever, it's over. The waiting game continues, and I'm looking forward to a stream of the Dreamforce performance.

snow_12_inches_of_snow_front.jpg

Yeah did say might. And we did see them perform in September and we'll see them in October. We don't know what he was hinting at.

Yep.

"they were lazy"

"major failure"

"wonder if they even really care"

Yeah, this is a tad ridiculous. Lazy is not a word I'd use to describe this band, in spite of our perception of last night or the last 6 weeks.

The perception is that this band spends too much time spinning its wheels going nowhere when it comes to new material. The perception is that they make poor decisions. This iHeart show adds to those perceptions. And perception is everything. I think this is where a lot of the bitterness comes from. For some, me included, this show is a kind of tipping point.

People seem to refer to the version of "Pride" that was performed as being the 'Hollywood' version - what does that refer to?

People seem to refer to the version of "Pride" that was performed as being the 'Hollywood' version - what does that refer to?

You mean Desire. I've not heard it yet, but reports say that yesterday's Desire was arranged like the Hollywood Remix version of it. Back in the day, the Hollywood Remix was a B side to either the 7" or 12" (can't recall which) Desire single.

U2s Facebook video is awesome

Indeed. The performance overall was disappointing, but I'll take with me that Desire version. Just excellent.

Absolutely delicious consuming those salty Facebook comments too. Most of the time I get frustrated and sad when I see the kind of hate U2 gets, but this time I'm loving it, because it means their statements struck nerves. Paraphrasing an old quote: "we might lose some of the Trump-supporters, but we don't need them".

Additionally I'll save for later a rant about the sheer hilarity that people in a country which so indiscretely views itself as world police and in the middle of an election for the post of "leader of the free world" takes offense in someone from another country expressing an opinion about something that affects everyone; but I don't want to clog up this thread further with this kind of stuff, so I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
The thing that frustrates me most is that Desire, One and Pride were awesome, and look entirely tour ready. Significant effort to get them there. Sigh.

Last edited:
Well seems U2 aren´t the only ones having cold feet about their new material this weekend. Metallica just played a 30 minute set at Global Citizen. It was live streamed all over the world, perfect chance to debut something from their ANNOUNCED new album. Nothing, not even Hardwired which has already been released and played life. Instead they played the usual 25+ year old songs, nothing they have released since 1991. These two bands really are becoming nothing else than a nostalgia act, a satire of their old selves. Sure how great can it be hearing Master of Puppets, Sandman or Nothing Else Matters for the 20,000,000 time. Instead why can't they come up and kick our asses with new music. The performance was ok, but really, they need to stop playing it safe. Just like U2. Challenge themselves a little.

For me, Bono's live vocals have to me been a bit of a slow downward slide since the Elevation tour (I here people say Popmart, but haven't heard enough of that tour). I kind of see him as a vocalist who has moments now rather sustained high levels. And I don't think he does very well after a long break.

It's my opinion, please don't bash me. I don't think they should break up because of it and his studio vocals are still very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom