SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Dreamfest get any media coverage? Or is this solely for the conference and the good cause (The Concert for UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals)?

So if SOE isn't ready yet then what the hell are the DJs like Skrillex, Kygo, etc working on?? I wish they would just release EPs these days and go on tour every once in awhile. That way we get more music and they can go on just as many vacations.

Also, if musicians can create entire albums on a laptop in a hotel room these days what does this say about them? They've become Rocky in Rocky 3. They need a good training montage to get back into it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This!!! Just write some great songs, draw on recent life experiences... Play the hits to pay the bills but sprinkle in some new material from time to time and all is good. Nobody wants them to turn into the stones but their ambition to remain "relevant" is such an anchor these days. There must be so many great abandoned ideas/demos laying around after all these years of second guessing.

I think for many long time fans, the events of today are the final straw (or close to it) on the back of years of watching this band we love second guessing themselves, swapping producers in the hope that will achieve anything, over promising and under delivering and making poor decisions.

So there is more going on here than U2 not playing a new song in a largely irrelevant 45 minute concert.

Okay, not being sassy, but I take it you didn't like SOI. That was evidently the product of a fair bit of second-guessing. I liked it, so am much less willing to castigate them for having doubts. Don't get me wrong, I am bitterly disappointed at not being able to listen to new u2 music.

But I think that is a dividing line on these boards -- whether you think SOI was good or not. If you don't, then it is understandable that this may be the last straw (personally I think it is a touch extreme).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

They can still release new music this year, unless they post another pic from the studio - which they haven't in a few months.

So what happened last night? I'm on the other side of the world with this stuff being pretty much dead last on my mind lol

How fucking lucky you are. :D:beer:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I was really looking forward to the performance, but the song set list seem so... Basic. I wanted a new song

Deep down I knew this was going to happen... If a song was going to be released for this week I expected it to BE released, and then played... even if it was released Friday afternoon.

Alas... some of the DJs talking about some big shocking thing U2 were going to do that they couldn't share got me thinking maybe we still had a chance. I suppose they were discussing Desire. They literally shot their load on the first song and then played a hits parade, and fuck, it wasn't even the right hits.

Seriously... If you're just going to be the U2 jukebox, you have plenty of hits to play without having to rely on Elevation and Vertigo. Heck, if they were going to play a SOI song they could have easily tossed out Raised By Wolves and gone into Until The End Of The World, which would have shown their amazing showmanship. I mean shit... you really rhink anyone wants to hear Elevation over I Will Follow? That the masses wouldn't know Sunday Bloody Sunday or Streets or NYD?

This just reeked of laziness and/or out of touch.

And it's not Guy Oseary's fault. He's not the same type of manager McGuinness was. He's more of an executive producer than a director. The decisions are the band's.

And they had months to prepare for a huge promotional vehicle, and not only could they not produce anything to actually promote, but they couldn't even get the songs they have played a million times right, nor play the right songs that truly showcase their live shows.

If they weren't going to do something special for this show, new music or not, then what the hell did they do the show for?

Just a wasted moment.

Deep down I knew this was going to happen... If a song was going to be released for this week I expected it to BE released, and then played... even if it was released Friday afternoon.

Alas... some of the DJs talking about some big shocking thing U2 were going to do that they couldn't share got me thinking maybe we still had a chance. I suppose they were discussing Desire. They literally shot their load on the first song and then played a hits parade, and fuck, it wasn't even the right hits.

Seriously... If you're just going to be the U2 jukebox, you have plenty of hits to play without having to rely on Elevation and Vertigo. Heck, if they were going to play a SOI song they could have easily tossed out Raised By Wolves and gone into Until The End Of The World, which would have shown their amazing showmanship. I mean shit... you really rhink anyone wants to hear Elevation over I Will Follow? That the masses wouldn't know Sunday Bloody Sunday or Streets or NYD?

And it's not Guy Oseary's fault. He's not the same type of manager McGuinness was. He's more of an executive producer than a director. The decisions are the band's.

And they had months to prepare for a huge promotional vehicle, and not only could they not produce anything to actually promote, but they couldn't even get the songs they have played a million times right, nor play the right songs that truly showcase their live shows.

If they weren't going to do something special for this show, new music or not, then what the hell did they do the show for?

Just a wasted moment.
Exactly.

Just a wasted moment.

Agreed with all of this.

Ultimately, I'm unaffected and it doesn't affect how much I like the band.

It's just mind boggling that they'd blow this promotional moment. The set list is what it is. Figured it would be something like this.

My mind over the last week was trending this way - that they'd waste this opportunity ala Super Bowl 48, Fallon debut.

But it is what it is. We've had intel suggesting a release is coming in 2017 instead of 2016. Maybe we'll get a single in November.

Either way, they should be less secretive with what they're up to in terms of studio time, release schedule and where they are in the head as a band.

So I woke up. Woke up from where I was lying in bed. Said I gotta do something about my U2 fandom. Log onto interference. Post something in Where The Album Has a Name. Maybe complain about their performance last night.

I think some of us are a bit too emotional here. U2 has been like they are for 20 years. They are not great musicians, they can't pull off Bad or The Unforgettable Fire whenenver they want, they need practice. I'm not surprised about the setlist.
Let's try to look on the bright side:
- Album cooking out in a few months (hopefully not overcooked)
- Tour on the way
- SOI/E Tour was great last year, ok a few things we would change for sure, but had a blast.
- The guys seem healthy
- They are not yet a dino act like the RS, in fact, they still play between 5-7 new songs per concert (yesterday was not), RS play 20 songs over 30 years old in their set....
- It's sunny outside, get a beer and play Under a Bloody Red Sky very loud and enjoy the music because THAT band will not come back and it's a fact.
- Think about all the crap on the radio at the moment and be happy you're not listening to it

I love U2

Let's say SOE comes out in March. We probably won't see a single until January. Can we see that happening?

16 songs in the cooker. Just release the damm thing!

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

Lol why play the concert then? It must have been booked as a vehicle for launching something. Can't think of any other credible reason.

Seems that they committed to this show with their LAST deal with iheart. That said, I think we need to change the whole frame of mind on this.
To them this was an obligation they needed to fill, nothing more. So the set list made sense. Bono can have an off night vocals at times. Means nothing in the larger scheme of things. His voice has been in top form for SOI and the tour last year.

Nothing changes the fact that they are down to choosing songs. Only 16 to whittle down. We most likely know now that TBT is a song on that album and not a one off thing.
We still have people giving glowing reviews of the material they've heard.
These are all good things!!

I didn't hear Bono telling a DJ the album wouldn't be out til 2017, can someone confirm?

Either way, Dreamforce will most likely be a hits setlist. And that's ok. But I do hope that this performance gives them motivation to focus and get themselves better prepared.

I've been a fan for 30 years. This whole thing means nothing to me in the larger picture. 99% of who will see this iheart thing will love it. They know nothing about a new album or single being imminent. It's all ok.

I do think Bono needs to prioritize his world saving work and the band. No reason he needed to be talking with Charlie Rose when he could have been getting their performance down stranger in Vegas.

Anyway, the future is still bright. And they still make music that moves me. Here's to what as next

Agreed with all of this.

Ultimately, I'm unaffected and it doesn't affect how much I like the band.

It's just mind boggling that they'd blow this promotional moment. The set list is what it is. Figured it would be something like this.

My mind over the last week was trending this way - that they'd waste this opportunity ala Super Bowl 48, Fallon debut.

But it is what it is. We've had intel suggesting a release is coming in 2017 instead of 2016. Maybe we'll get a single in November.

Either way, they should be less secretive with what they're up to in terms of studio time, release schedule and where they are in the head as a band.

Right.

I'm not disavowing my fandom or anything silly like that. It's just another baffling marketing decision by a band full of them over the past 5 years.

I'll take the attitude that 99% of U2's fans are taking today:
U2 played a show last night? Cool!
They played Beautiful Day! Great- I love that song!
New album next year? Can't wait!
Hope their next tour comes to my town!
Now to finish my coffee...

Honestly, their time slot sucked. The show's webcast stopped streaming video even before Drake went on. The live audio feed then cut out during Drake's performance. Bono giving an interview prior to going on saying the album was coming out next year dashed all hopes of a new song being played.

On the plus side I looked for videos on Instagram and it looked like a packed house, still, during their performance and the crowd seemed happy to get the hits.

Seems that they committed to this show with their LAST deal with iheart. That said, I think we need to change the whole frame of mind on this.
To them this was an obligation they needed to fill, nothing more. So the set list made sense. Bono can have an off night vocals at times. Means nothing in the larger scheme of things. His voice has been in top form for SOI and the tour last year.

Nothing changes the fact that they are down to choosing songs. Only 16 to whittle down. We most likely know now that TBT is a song on that album and not a one off thing.
We still have people giving glowing reviews of the material they've heard.
These are all good things!!

I didn't hear Bono telling a DJ the album wouldn't be out til 2017, can someone confirm?

Either way, Dreamforce will most likely be a hits setlist. And that's ok. But I do hope that this performance gives them motivation to focus and get themselves better prepared.

I've been a fan for 30 years. This whole thing means nothing to me in the larger picture. 99% of who will see this iheart thing will love it. They know nothing about a new album or single being imminent. It's all ok.

I do think Bono needs to prioritize his world saving work and the band. No reason he needed to be talking with Charlie Rose when he could have been getting their performance down stranger in Vegas.

Anyway, the future is still bright. And they still make music that moves me. Here's to what as next
Yep heard him say it with my own two oversized ears....It'll be out in 2017.

Right.

I'm not disavowing my fandom or anything silly like that. It's just another baffling marketing decision by a band full of them over the past 5 years.

Oh no I know, wasn't saying you. But I've seen some piping hot takes that even Stephen A would be proud of

I will say this. They really should move away from ballads on this album EBW / SFS. My 10-year old loves twenty one pilots. We blast it in the car and it is catchy as hell and has great beats. If the new album has an AB / POP vibe with heavy bass and beats I'll be excited...that's just me but I love cranking up U2 that has a heavy groove!

Maybe the band just likes the way 2017 looks on paper. Lucky number 7 y'know.

Sent from my iPhone 9 from the future.

Speaking of luck, they just need to stay the hell away from Vegas when they have imminent or brand new material to play.... has not been a good town for them.

I know we think it was a sour performance overall, but I did like that version of Desire. It felt a little more fresh than usual.

I switched from the streaming video link to the streaming audio only when Drake was supposed to come on because nothing was playing. There was a brief interview with Adam and Bono. Bono said the album was coming out next year. Depressed the hell out of me to hear it, but it's true.

I love everybody acting as if U2 have only just become a Rolling Stones-esque dinosaur act. The last time they had a single that anybody beyond the fandom gave a shit about was twelve years ago. The 360 Tour was the sound of a great hulking dinosaur stomping down in the biggest cities of (almost) every continent.

This is why I have said for some time that I'd rather they just tour and play whatever shit than keep trying to schedule tours in the eighties mould of supporting a new album.

:up:

I'm not going to bother reading the thread, I know what it says.

I'm sorry I stayed up for it. I wasn't really expecting anything new, but other than Desire, that was uninspired and rough.

Looking forward to the album and tour next year, and maybe we'll get a single before end if year. I doubt we will get anything new at Dreamforce.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

When they started their set with sirens and that electrified version of Desire I thought they are up to something bigger..... then reality kicked in.

It is OK.... I am on the same fandom level as yesterday.... I just don't get the bands' decisions for a long time now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom