SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I've said before I love u2 and nothing will change that I will always be a fan. I just get a tad anoyed when they claim to have an album soon (like Bono did right after the SOI release) or when they said that SOA was ready for release until one day Paul M said nope no SOA. It gets you excited then you have to wait 3-5 years more before It actually happens. If they just didn't say anything or tease us with that possibility I would be more than happy.

This. More than anything (they didnt once even broach the subject of new music at iHeart, that was ALL us) this is what pisses me off. With the benefit of iHeart hindsight, it seems (conjecture, not fact) the best thing wasn't supposed to be out there because they did make kygo take it down pretty quickly. But bono yapping his gums about more new music every time they release an album does contribute to a lot of false expectations. He just lies

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Even if SOE came out in fall of 17, it would still be the quickest turn around since Zooropa.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You beat me to posting this. A stat that is important to remember as this band crosses the collective age of 220

That Birthday video is class,shows they still have a sense of humour! And at least we got some news from Adam.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using U2 Interference mobile app

Loved the birthday video, and Adam's comments are enthusiastic. When Dave said that we weren't getting anything this year, it sounds like if Adam wasn't ruling it out. Either way, can't wait for the next cycle to start.

Well, nice to see as of now that plans haven't changed regarding Songs of Experience and touring it with the same show.

It's a matter now of whether they are still doing finishing touches, or go back to writing in the studio again. I.e. how much work is left with this album?

Bono, Charlie Rose interview :

Rose: Take Songs Of Experience. How many songs have you written?

Bono: We have 16 songs on the cooker. We have to boil it down to 10 or 12. We'd rather it be 10, but it'll probably be 12.

And later...

Rose: A couple points of business -- when is the album coming out? Songs Of Experience.

Bono: Only God and Edge know. [laughter]

Rose: But there will be a tour --

Bono: He's a perfectionist!

Rose: I know, but there will be a tour in 2017, yes?

Bono: Yes. Emmm ... yes. Yes, Charlie, there will be!

And this tweet with info from Joe O Herlihy

https://twitter.com/joe_ahorro/status/779576518620028928

Thanks, actually missed this part because I had a horrible stream to the interview.

So the tweet has them touring next year and bono said before iheart that the new album would come next year.

But have they actually said any time in the past that SOE would be out in 2016? When did they talk about the 18-month thing? If it was right after the SOI release, I wouldn't believe them, but it's still annoying and perhaps does count as a delay. I suppose them saying a date after taking time off from I&E and not sticking to it would be a clear case of a delay.

I guess what I want to determine is if what we are seeing now constitutes a delay in releasing the album, which is not surprising but still disappointing.

I am not asking any of you to go looking for the info. Just asking if you already know

Yeah I guess I need to, since I still have no clue where he got Stadiums or touring SOA from :shrug:

There was a part in the video where Adam said they'd leave stadiums for when they're touring SoA (and keep arenas for SoE).

dude, come on. cut this shit out.

it's hilariously ironic when an american gets upset about outsiders meddling in their country's affairs or offering unfounded criticism about their country. i take it you've never lived in a foreign place that's a hot vacation spot for american tourists.

Yup, sure have.

Thanks, you've made my point perfectly.

Sorry you're having a bad week and need to lash out at people on the Internet. Hope it gets better.

Nobody likes a smug, angry Canadian.

Last edited:
In September 2014 Bono told TIME Magazine that some new technology might be available in 18 months and they want to incorporate that in the SOE release....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/19/u2-apple-collaborate-non-piratable-interactive-format-music-albums

Edge said in a radio interview in March 2015 something about 18 months (starts at minute 29)

http://www.todayfm.com/player/listen_back/8/18966/18th_March_2015_-_The_Mix-Up_Part_2

But these were estimations, guesses.... no promises

Thanks, actually missed this part because I had a horrible stream to the interview.

So the tweet has them touring next year and bono said before iheart that the new album would come next year.

But have they actually said any time in the past that SOE would be out in 2016? When did they talk about the 18-month thing? If it was right after the SOI release, I wouldn't believe them, but it's still annoying and perhaps does count as a delay. I suppose them saying a date after taking time off from I&E and not sticking to it would be a clear case of a delay.

I guess what I want to determine is if what we are seeing now constitutes a delay in releasing the album, which is not surprising but still disappointing.

I am not asking any of you to go looking for the info. Just asking if you already know

"Hopefully they (Songs of Experience) will be a lot lighter"

"Where we're trying to get to with these new songs... is a much lighter place to be."

That language makes it sound like they're not really done yet.

"Hopefully they (Songs of Experience) will be a lot lighter"

"Where we're trying to get to with these new songs... is a much lighter place to be."

That language makes it sound like they're not really done yet.

No more than usual. Just sounds like that is the theme they are working into the album vs. SOI.

They won't tour without a new album, and if Spring 2017 rumors for NA tour are accurate then that will be my assumption going forward.

We are deplorable

I am just waiting for the day that if TRUMP is elected i will lose EVERYTHING; my wife, my house, my car(s), my life. I mean, okay, it's one thing that Bono has been friends with the Clinton's all of these years. So of course he is pulling for them. It's another that we will all mysteriously die if she loses. This from the guy who wants to send Amy Schumer to fight ISIS. And who spammed every iphone on the planet with their last album. He's literally writing the script for the next South Park parody of himself and mailing it in.

Where did you get that?

From PRB216's post...

-Interestingly he also mentions Songs of Ascent is still a project in the works (but down the line) and thinks that those eventual songs will have them return to stadiums/outdoor gigs. Later on he says it is indeed in the pipeline and they will return to it at some point.

Might've been just how they wrote it, but I thought it was a little odd based on their past descriptions of that material. I know a few fans on here felt that the album didn't lend itself to the 360 spectacle for at least half of its songs, but who knows...

No more than usual. Just sounds like that is the theme they are working into the album vs. SOI.

They won't tour without a new album, and if Spring 2017 rumors for NA tour are accurate then that will be my assumption going forward.

Yeah I'm likely being too pedantic anyway... just reading too much into it in anticipation of being starved for info/news for a few months!

I'm not sure who it was who stated the spring 2017 tour info, but i assume they're part of the U2 camp? Anyway, it's good news, it means that for now at least they're probably aiming for a feb/march album release, which isn't really too far away. It's actually better than last year - i remember thinking we might get an album in winter 2015, and then Edge randomly came out with "we're aiming for the end of 2016" haha.

Oh and I'm glad SoE is still all about uplifting music. I'd happily welcome more tunes in the vein of TBT (in terms of vibe, not strictly style or arrangement).

Did Adam suggest that SOA songs might take them back into an outdoor/stadium-like environment? Sort of sounds odd if it was supposed to be a more ambient/ethereal accompaniment to the NLOTH album.

What I was thinking too

In September 2014 Bono told TIME Magazine that some new technology might be available in 18 months and they want to incorporate that in the SOE release....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...non-piratable-interactive-format-music-albums

Edge said in a radio interview in March 2015 something about 18 months (starts at minute 29)

http://www.todayfm.com/player/listen_back/8/18966/18th_March_2015_-_The_Mix-Up_Part_2

But these were estimations, guesses.... no promises

Thanks man

From PRB216's post...

-Interestingly he also mentions Songs of Ascent is still a project in the works (but down the line) and thinks that those eventual songs will have them return to stadiums/outdoor gigs. Later on he says it is indeed in the pipeline and they will return to it at some point.

Might've been just how they wrote it, but I thought it was a little odd based on their past descriptions of that material. I know a few fans on here felt that the album didn't lend itself to the 360 spectacle for at least half of its songs, but who knows...

I'd bet SoA exists as rough song concepts/overall themes more than anything else. I bet it could be turned into any style they feel like at the time. I think Adam was saying "we're not doing stadiums for the I&E tour, but maybe for the next tour... which SoA might be tied to".

I think quite a big piece of news from this interview was that he said SoE would be the last album where they do things as they have been doing (intensely), and that after that who knows. I think that implies they might semi-retire after this next album, whether that means longer gaps between stuff, or if they stop approaching things with the view of being "the biggest band on the planet" and stop chasing hits (which could explain why Adam could see SoA touring stadiums).

Yeah, would make sense. They are 55+ now, by the end of the tour they will be 57. I'd say that is a good time to accept who they are and just create music. Which is what I want, although I did love SOI and parts of NLOTH.

I hope they reunite with Eno and Lanois and be themselves.

This would be a good thread (unless it's been done before): what is U2's natural resting state, the anthemic 80s or the electronic 90s, or the medley of those two identities we have been getting since 2000?

This would be a good thread (unless it's been done before): what is U2's natural resting state, the anthemic 80s or the electronic 90s, or the medley of those two identities we have been getting since 2000?

I think they're actually quite adventurous sonically, which is why we got Passengers in the 90's, North African music in NLOTH, and an album full of Dangermouse produced 'Sleep Like a Baby Tonight' style songs (before they got reeled back and added producers to make more hits). Larry and Edge both mentioned that whilst making SoI, the sounds got pretty weird, and that in an album making process they'll explore a lot before reeling themselves back in. So they seem to naturally gravitate towards more avant-garde stuff.

But they're also a stadium band, pretty much always have been. They've shown a drive for 'big' music, and i don't think that makes them sellouts - they just want to have songs that are uplifting, and a stadium crowd that is engaged and goes crazy.

So, musically I'd say they're naturally geared towards experimentation. But they personally like writing anthems. I don't think there's a 'post-pop' version of u2 that sold out, i think maybe they just got a little more transparent about what the really want (which is to be a big band making big music). That's how they've always been.

Perhaps after SoE they'll accept those days are behind them (they're unlikely to have any more big singles), and explore that adventurous side a little more. But during gigs it'll be hard to reconcile the 'weirder' stuff with the classic hits... they'd be so fundamentally distinct.

I went back and listened for clarity's sakes. Around the 3:10 mark in the Periscope he talks about the tour moving outdoors. Dave asks would you want it to go outdoors and Adam says almost exactly this:
"At this point, it's hard to say what it could be until the record (SOE) comes out and we see how those songs are received. My instinct is that it's not an outdoor tour, that that's a Songs of Ascent or something else coming down the line. I think the intensity of the experience and the way the production was designed for the i+e tour, I think, is indoor."

Also, personally I'm disregarding any previous assumptions of SOA's direction (originally described as ambient, ethereal and experimental). I have a feeling U2 are just keeping the title and concept of 'Songs' as a trilogy and scrapping the recorded material. Those songs would've been on the backburner for 7+ years at this point and I can't see it being released just as the Rick Rubin album wasn't.

I see SOA differently. Bono mentioning it in an interview the day NLOTH came out is no coincidence. I think it was probably in the same state of readiness as SOE was when SOI was released, but they knew it had no real 'hits' (or at least only had EBW). So they stretched the concept, and gave themselves a few years, and one more tilt at world domination. Once SOE is done, they'll drop SOA with no pressure, and return to stadiums so the tours themselves are less intense (i.e more people per show, less shows per city/year).

We do know that at one point "Every breaking wave" was from SOA, and that it was a much more quiet, subtle song, with a simpler structure. So it's likely that whatever existed as SOA in 2010-11 is no more. SOA at this point exists as an idea, rather than a collection of music that they're just sitting on until the right time.

Is Adam saying that they are waiting until SOE is released before planning where to tour? That would mean live shows are a loooooong time away.
Surely they have a tour plan outlined by this stage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

We had a few titles from SOA, and the title itself evokes a more ethereal sound. Songs of Ascent can't be thrash metal.

Pilgrim's Lack of Progress, kingdom of Your Love (Soon). Sure, they may not still be called that/sound like that - but to retain the title and concept surely means that more existed than a skeleton, and that the ideas that informed it are somewhat in tact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom