So you get to take a few music lessons from one of 'em. Which one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who teaches you how to play?

• Bono-- he learned to sing, so can you!

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Edge-- guitar for geniuses

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Adam-- relax, he'll go easy on you

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Larry-- learn to drum, or get hurt trying

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Would you take singing lessons from Bono? He's taken them himself, and has gone from an off-key, excitable singer to one of the greatest rock singers ever. He'd understand your struggles.

Guitar lessons from Edge? One of the greatest guitar players ever, unique in his sound, not slowed by his inability to read music, but freed by it. The sounds he could teach to you to wring from your guitar...

Bass lessons from Adam? Self-taught, but refined by lessons himself, he would relax you with his easy-going ways.

Drum lessons from Larry? A real musician who would make sure you did it right, keep you disciplined in your study of rhythm and drumming.

Which one?

I went with Larry. I'd like to learn how to drum well. Also, I bet I would enjoy being in bad moods with him.

This is an easy one! I'd go for singing lessons from Bono. I love singing, but I wish I were better at it. And he's my favorite singer, so who better to learn from?

Bono. I LOVE to sing in my car in an off-key, exciteable manner, so we'd be a perfect match.

Honestly, not to knock the band or anything, cause think they're the most creative and amazing band of all time, but honestly, when it comes down to ability, none of them are amazingly unsurpased. Bono does have a great voice, i will give him that, but i feel his lyrical skills are far better. Edge is the most innovative guitar player i have probably ever heard in my life, his creative use of effects truely is unique, but he isn't incredibly talented when it comes to lead guitar, and thus if you took lessons from him all you would be doing his copying his original effect style. Adam really isn't talented much at all. He lays down a fine root-note bassline most of the time and changes it up here and there. Same goes for Larry, he keeps good time, but has done little to make himself famous for his talent. Again, im not knocking the band, cause they ARE the greatest band of all time, and noone has created more creative or original music, its just that they aren't exceptionally talented at any one of their instruments.

Well that is tough. I can not sing no matter how much you help me. So no singing lessons a la Bono. And i would be so bad at guitar with edge..he is a genius! And Larry would get frustrated and beat me with a drumstick. I have a bass, and i suck at it, so I'd say help me adam! Plus i'd get to spend alot of time with him ;)

Bono for sure!
He could teach me how to project my voice and I could teach HIM to sing in tune - not that he is out of tune all that often, but there are times!! in live performances usually - the beginning of Walk On in Boston. I cringe a little when I hear it, but I love it anyway.
I think I would be the one learning the most.

Pamela

My first thought was Bono because I would love to sing and am not that great. Every female on my mom's side of the family had great voices but unfortunately I had to inherit my dad's voice.

I did take guitar in school and could use retooling since I did pull it out last week after 5 years of not playing so I could also say Edge.

I finally picked Adam! I'd love to learn guitar (for those of you who remember another poll of mine), but I think I'd be too intimidated by his talent. Voice, I'm hopeless. :rolleyes: Drums, I'm frighteningly uncoordinated. (Oh the bruises I could show you on my legs!) But I know nothing about bass and bass playing, so why not learn from a handsome, hopefully patient rock star? :D

It's a no brainer - Edge. Not only could he teach me guitar, but he is a skilled vocalist and someone may correct me but I believe he can play drums a bit or at least program a drum machine...so in my books he is the most talented musician in the band.

Well, not because I'm a Larry girl, but I've always wanted to play the drums and I think having a hunky teacher like him would really help keep me going to the drum lessons! :eeklaugh:

flaming june said:
Well, not because I'm a Larry girl, but I've always wanted to play the drums and I think having a hunky teacher like him would really help keep me going to the drum lessons! :eeklaugh:

And if you needed to spend a few extra hours doing some intense, one-on-one drum practice that wouldn't be bad either :macdevil:

:laugh:

i already know how to play guitar, ive been playing for two years and a half now. so i was thinking maybe i would go with Bono so i could leanr to play the harmonica (none of you thught of that huh??")...
but still the edge probably know so much about guitar i could definitely learn SOMETHING from a genius. so i went with the edge, maybe he could pull off some of his killer rhythym while i solo over it which i love to do.

while I love all of them musically, let's look at it from this point: who in the band could go off and play with pretty much anyone in rock and roll and still be great without just playing "his u2 sound":

larry.

bono is bono; and it doesn't get better than that. but he's not anyone else, and couldn't be if he tried.
same with the edge: no one else like him, ever. amen. but that's his thing...he would have to do the "edge thing" in any situation he worked in.
adam: I think adam is actually under-rated as a bassist. put it this way: I wouldn't change a note he's played on any u2 song. but is he musically diverse? nah.

now larry: I think larry has as much to do with the u2 sound as edge. don't believe me? think of:
sunday bloody sunday
with or without you
beautiful day
desire
anything on "unforgettable fire"
who's gonna ride your wild horses
acrobat
all I want is you
bullet the blue sky
etc.
no drummer in rock has played the drums "melodically" like that; or maybe I should say, "lyrically"; not keith moon, not john bonham, not stewert copeland.
but he's still solid as a rock, powerful, and plays for the song.
I think larry could get any gig he wanted.
I think I'd learn alot from him if I was a drummer.:larry:

even though I would really love to spend time with Larry :sexywink: I would go with bass lessons from adam because I play bass. I don't think i have the coordination for drums.

Back
Top Bottom