So... WOULD U2 ever appear on American Idol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
I do not mean WILL they ever appear! I mean would they appear on the show (everyone sing's U2 songs) if asked sometime within the next few years?

I honestly do not think so.

However, I used to think that they would never appear on SNL and awards shows as much as they do (back in the Zoo days they were almost above it entirely... I know Edge did "Numb" but the way he did it was surreal and like they were above the entire thing.)

So now I am not so sure.

Any thoughts?

Are you kidding? People thought they sold out when they did the ipod commerical. I can't even imagine the amount of shit they'd get for this.

Well I can predict what some will say...

But how can you even compare these?
redhill said:

However, I used to think that they would never appear on SNL and awards shows as much as they do (back in the Zoo days they were almost above it entirely... I know Edge did "Numb" but the way he did it was surreal and like they were above the entire thing.)

What's wrong with doing SNL? Elvis Costello, Nirvana, PJ, Radiohead, etc :huh:

I think some people get so caught up on who's above what, sell out, bullshit, etc...they forget the reasons for playing these shows.

Publicity is publicity.

When U2 is in need of some TV time, they'll get it. For now, producers are probably knocking on THEIR doors.

U2DMfan said:
Doing SNL and the MTV awards is a far fucking cry from doing Idol.

Why?

To me it is only one step lower then SNL (something they were above until the 2000's.)

So then in 2010 will they do it?

They justified doing shows like this by saying that it was a different era and they needed to do this kind of promotion due to the changing climate in the scene....

So...by that logic... they could easily say the same thing in their 50's and do American Idol assuming it is around.

Not that I think or hope they would. It is just not unthinkable in light of their marketing decisions post 2000.

Honestly the marketing machine, IMO, does supercede their artistic decisions sometimes these days and it is disturbing for a band capable of such brilliant creativity (think Zooropa.)

Re: Re: So... WOULD U2 ever appear on American Idol?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well I can predict what some will say...

But how can you even compare these?

What's wrong with doing SNL? Elvis Costello, Nirvana, PJ, Radiohead, etc :huh:

I think some people get so caught up on who's above what, sell out, bullshit, etc...they forget the reasons for playing these shows.

I never really thought there was much *wrong* with it per se... just U2 seemed to be (or literally were) existing in a more rarified and elevated space in the 90's..... I personally found this more enjoyable....

If I had my way though I would have U2 make decisions based solely on artistic reasons and (while still being sharp businessmen and surrounded by them...i.e. paul mcg.) not consider what the public would consume quite as much...

So playing the MTV awards several times in the 90s (talk about catering to the young crowds) is ok but playing SNL or talk shows post 2000 isn't?

Last edited:
Put it this way: U2 appearing on Idol or any Idol-esque show would be even worse than the way INXS whored themselves out.

Larry would probably love it, though.

Do "official" bands/singers appear on American Idol? Like at the end of a season?

:shrug: I don't care either way, personally.

Re: Re: Re: So... WOULD U2 ever appear on American Idol?

redhill said:

I never really thought there was much *wrong* with it per se... just U2 seemed to be (or literally were) existing in a more rarified and elevated space in the 90's..... I personally found this more enjoyable....

Well back then MTV played videos. Their videos were all over the place.

No artist is above promotion.

kennerado said:
Didn't Bono denounce these type of shows?

No - he had even told one of the "contestants" of the Irish version of American Idol he'd vote for her.....

As for American Idol - I've never watched nor want to...but if U2 were ever on there (which I doubt would ever happen) then I'd have to watch it only for them :yes:

The guy that won the one World Idol, won it by singing Beautiful Day. And U2 has been done on Canadian Idol and Idol in a couple of other countries...

Andrea Bocelli was on it last night, and he doesn't lose an ounce of credibility for that in my eyes. Nothing can change the fact that he is one of the most amazing voices of all time.

god can anyone imagine kellie pickler try to do "One"

(insert southern drawl and faked stupidity here)
"haha yer glasses are funny!"

gherman said:
I wonder how Bono would have done on American Idol if was just an unkown Bloke today or at his peak. :eyebrow:

Bono's always had what it takes! AI wouldn't know talent if it bit them!

europop, are you making a blanket statement about Southerners?
(I agree with you about Kellie's lack of talent though!) :wink:

Last edited:
I think if the band went incognito as The Daltons then they would walk it - and if they covered one of their own tracks then that would be hilarious!
"She moves in mysterious ways, y'all"

(Of course this is more x-factor than Idol)

Interestingly, the recent Grammies telecast where U2 swept the awards had only half the number of viewers that American Idol did that night. Kelly Clarkson, a former Idol winner, won a Grammy as well. I think it sort of indicates the state of disrepair the music industry is in right now.

I´ve noticed that U2 have been more accessible and more "out there" lately than in the 90´s and I have a strong feeling that it´s because it might help Bono´s cause with ONE and DATA.

Before, they couldn´t have cared less for exposure but now they have another reason to do it.

Back
Top Bottom