So... WOULD U2 ever appear on American Idol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
susanp6 said:
What exactly would they actually do on it anyway?

They have musical guests who work with the singers and mentor them to a degree (depends on the guest but most seem to be very knowledgeable and insightful IMO) before their performance.

On the "results show" (which is really a big blow of time to watch really except for an interesting live performance here and there) that same artist peforms.

So it is obviously a symbiotic relationship and usually an artist who needs/wants the eyeballs will appear.

:shrug: I was kind of hoping they'd do a U2 theme eventually :reject: It doesn't mean that band has to appear.. just would be interesting to see how the contestants performed.

I don't think I've ever heard a U2 song on AI.

With or Without You and Pride have been performed on the UK versions, Pop Idol and X-Factor.

American Idol's a pretty entertaining show. Too busy to be dedicated to watching it, though. It is the biggest show in America so why not. The legendary Rod Stewart sang on it. The legendary Brian May also participated in AI. U2 did an IPOD commercial which is technically just as bad so I have no problem with it.

But at the rate U2 puts out album (YEARS), Idol might not be as popular or off the radar which would make it a moot point.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

while i would be disgusted if u2 ever appeared on american idol... nothing is worse than what INXS did.

INDEED

redhill said:

Why?

To me it is only one step lower then SNL (something they were above until the 2000's.)

One step lower than SNL? I'm just going to assume you don't know the quality of musical guests that have appeared on SNL, in fact it's probably the best overall showcase of musical talent on American public television over the last 30 years.

U2 weren't "above" SNL, they are Irish, it's probably wasn't that big of a deal to them until someone pointed it out to them (everyone has done this show, millions of people watch it, it has credibility). When they are in America they are usually doing their own tours, until recently they hadn't made hardly any American television appearances outside of MTV, you could say this was some sort of pretentious stance, that they were "above" it, but I think that's really stretching things. I think they were oblivious to it.

Maybe you should be saying Idol is one step lower than Jay Leno.
That I could agree with, I hated seeing them on that crap show.
Not to mention, anybody remember Farm Club? Yeesh.

U2DMfan said:
One step lower than SNL? I'm just going to assume you don't know the quality of musical guests that have appeared on SNL, in fact it's probably the best overall showcase of musical talent on American public television over the last 30 years.

SNL certainly used to have good quality musical guests, but in recent years ... not so much. Yeah, you get some good acts in there, but you also get a lot of crap (Ashlee Simpson? Clay Aiken? Fallout Boy? Yeeeeeeeeesh ... and this is coming from someone with a soft spot for ol' Clay!).

Yes, "crap" vs "good" is subjective, but compared to the early days when the show featured lesser-known acts (Laurie Anderson, the B-52s when they weren't so well known), their musical guests have been very mainstream (and very dull) for quite some time.

Plus, the musical performance parts are sponsored by Budweiser. I'm not exactly sure what that means for the choice of musical guests, but I'm guessing it's not a good thing.

Sorry redhill but i actually meant why would U2 be there? I know the premice (sp?) of the show! :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

while i would be disgusted if u2 ever appeared on american idol... nothing is worse than what INXS did.

Here's the way I look at it: INXS could at least try to pull some reason out of their arse in a hopeless attempt to justify Rockstar: INXS. There is utterly nothing up U2's collective arse that they could possibly pull out to try to justify appearing on Idol or an Idol-esque show. Thus, U2's appearance is worse in my eyes. Only marginally so, but still worse.

Axver said:

Here's the way I look at it: INXS could at least try to pull some reason out of their arse in a hopeless attempt to justify Rockstar: INXS. There is utterly nothing up U2's collective arse that they could possibly pull out to try to justify appearing on Idol or an Idol-esque show. Thus, U2's appearance is worse in my eyes. Only marginally so, but still worse.

I don't see how this can be true when when the motive for INXS to do what they did and the motive for U2 doing AI(if they were ever to do so) would be the same thing: $$$$$

namkcuR said:

I don't see how this can be true when when the motive for INXS to do what they did and the motive for U2 doing AI(if they were ever to do so) would be the same thing: $$$$$

Rod Stewart earned "$58,454,500.85" in 2005, according to another thread (Sunday Times Rich List). Perhaps his appearance on American Idol was to broaden his fan base with the younger generation. I think U2 could also benefit from more promotion to younger folks, but going on Idol would alienate a lot of fans.

namkcuR said:

INXS can actually say "look, we need a new singer and we think this is a good way to get one". Total bullshit and obvious whoring out for dollars, but at least they can try to pull that excuse out of their arse.

U2 wouldn't have anything at all to hide what would be a blatant cash-grab.

blueeyedgirl said:
Let's all save some time and have the ceremonial U2 CD burning now! :huh:

Oh cool! I have some cassettes I'll donate to the cause. :yes: :)

And maybe we can toast marshmallows over the fire. :hyper:

blueeyedgirl said:

And we can all join hands and sing "Kumbaya" :happy:

Woohoo! Let's do it! :hyper:

We need a guitar player for accompaniment though.... :hmm: ...I know of one who works cheap and he could be loads of fun. :yes:

The true question would be "would Bono appear on American Idol?" (This is a show about singing only)

Probably not. Too many commitments.

Roland of Gilead said:
The true question would be "would Bono appear on American Idol?" (This is a show about singing only)

Probably not. Too many commitments.

No that is not the true question.

All of Queen appeared, Rod Stewart's entire family, Andre Bocelli and his producer.....

BTW, I love your signature ;--]

This season the musical guests have been giving "guidance" to the contestants. Helping them with the arrangements and choosing the right song. Honestly I can't picture U2 doing that.

On the other hand, I can see Bono getting into it and hamming it up.

If I had to pick a definite answer - nope - not happening. I remember Simon's comment to Chris Daughtry this season after he had performed a Creed song - he said that Creed wouldn't be caught dead on the show.

indra said:

Woohoo! Let's do it! :hyper:
Sounds like a plan! :up: So, are we having this ceremonial U2 CD/cassette burning in your part of the world? A bit of Bible Belt-type bashing would go down a treat! :happy:

We need a guitar player for accompaniment though.... :hmm: ...I know of one who works cheap and he could be loads of fun. :yes:

I like the way you think.....:wink:

Back
Top Bottom