So what've we got so far? - a proposed map of the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to the time vacuum that is this forum.

I've lost probably a few months of my life on this site...no regrets though :wink:

Have fun, and nice to meet you.

thanks mate, i am on arcade fire and few other forums as well. i know how time consuming it is. oh dear, i guess i shouldn't have registered here. :doh:

Do you really think so?
I'll give you a minor update of the Simplified List then:

Breathe
Ben's clip2, Eno's Keys (in Eno's headphones), Adam Fans, daveyg clip (@u2.com) and Bono's charity lyrics sheet.

Get On Your Boots
Ben's clip3, Larry Drumming, Green Tea, Adam Bass, The Couch, It Might Get Loud documentary.

Moment of Surrender
Eno Gels (not played aloud but in the background?), UltraViolet Brazil (very faint clip)

No Line On The Horizon
Ben's clip1, Here is what is #3, U2_Neat clip (February) (and possibly Larry Drums as well)

For Your Love
DOL13 May 18 clip (U2HQclip), Larry Stuff, Edgeback 3

Cedars Of Lebanon
Here Is What Is 2 - old Tripoli etc (??)

"All My Life"
404 (2006)

Thank You For The Day
Ben's clip5 (reworked?) 403 (2006), Lanois version from Canadian charity event and Wall2Wall Guitar festival.

Boy Falling from the Sky (a.k.a. "I Believe")
402 (2006) - might be used exclusively for Spider-Man play in 2009.

Mercy
Leaked in 2004 (was it?)

Love Will Never Say Goodbye (??)
Ben's clip4 and Edgeback 2? Possibly an All That You Can't Leave Behind-sessions leftover.

------------------------------------------------------------
Still unknown songs (and unrelated?) snippets:

U2.com:
Larry In Studio - Mariachi bass and C/G, F chords.
Motorcycle - Chimey bells.
Edge Funk - Cheesy blues-riff.
Dallas - Ambient piece about 2 minutes long. (Am, C, Dm, (G or F?), Em)
Ultraviolet Brazil - two clips of Larry (Sam?) drumming.
Edge Back 1 - Acoustic Gretsch White Falcon.
Edge Back 4 - Delay riffs =

Code:
Standard Tuning (eBDAE)

e|----10|----12|-----7|-----8|-----7|-----5|-----3|
B|------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
G|------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
D|-12---|-14---|-9----|-10---|-9----|-7----|-5----|  x2

Here Is What Is trailer (2007):
0 - Lanois talking about his friendship with Eno and U2 (ambient piece based on B minor riff) - did not end up on his own album. (Possibly an older Lanois track?)
1 - Pentaonic bluesy riff over 6/8 rhythm pattern including Lanois on telecaster and Bono scat singing.
4 - Ambient piece in D-major.

Others , likely fake:
Youtube:
  • "Rehearsals" from InBloom74
  • three "New U2 riff"-videos from yevetsg - quickly removed by user himself.

Last update: October 28th 2008

Do you really think so?

Breathe
Ben's clip2, Eno's Keys (in Eno's headphones), Adam Fans, daveyg clip (@u2.com) and Bono's charity lyrics sheet.

where did you see the part about the lyrics sheet? i couldn't find anything on it.

where did you see the part about the lyrics sheet? i couldn't find anything on it.

It has clearly similar if not identical lyrics to those in the "Breathe" clips.
Again, I haven't listened that much to the clips yet myself but judging from the interpretation of others it seems to be this song.
It was included in a waste bin (Danish Vipp) donated to charity - Chernobyl Children's Project International and The Food Bank for New York City obtained the money - in September along with 4-5 other sheets.

20080909bonolyricsre1.jpg

My interpretation can be found here:
U2 Feedback - View Single Post - New Beach Clips Lyrics?
That thread obviously contains other Beach Clip lyrics from 2008 as well.

Do you really think so?

Breathe

Get On Your Boots
Ben's clip3, Larry Drumming, Green Tea, Adam Bass, The Couch, It Might Get Loud documentary.

Moment of Surrender
Eno Gels (not played aloud but in the background?), UltraViolet Brazil (very faint clip)

No Line On The Horizon
Ben's clip1, Here is what is #3, U2_Neat clip (February) (and possibly Larry Drums as well)

For Your Love
DOL13 May 18 clip (U2HQclip), Larry Stuff, Edgeback 3

Cedars Of Lebanon
Here Is What Is 2 - old Tripoli etc (??)

"All My Life"
404 (2006)

Thank You For The Day
Ben's clip5 (reworked?) 403 (2006), Lanois version from Canadian charity event and Wall2Wall Guitar festival.

Boy Falling from the Sky (a.k.a. "I Believe")
402 (2006) - might be used exclusively for Spider-Man play in 2009.

Mercy
Leaked in 2004 (was it?)

Love Will Never Say Goodbye (??)
Ben's clip4 and Edgeback 2? Possibly an All That You Can't Leave Behind-sessions leftover.

------------------------------------------------------------
Still unknown songs (and unrelated?) snippets:

U2.com:
Larry In Studio - Mariachi bass and C/G, F chords.
Motorcycle - Chimey bells.
Edge Funk - Cheesy blues-riff.
Dallas - Ambient piece about 2 minutes long. (Am, C, Dm, (G or F?), Em)
Ultraviolet Brazil - two clips of Larry (Sam?) drumming.
Edge Back 1 - Acoustic Gretsch White Falcon.
Edge Back 4 - Delay riffs =

Code:
Standard Tuning (eBDAE)

e|----10|----12|-----7|-----8|-----7|-----5|-----3|
B|------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
G|------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
D|-12---|-14---|-9----|-10---|-9----|-7----|-5----|  x2

Here Is What Is trailer (2007):
0 - Lanois talking about his friendship with Eno and U2 (ambient piece based on B minor riff) - did not end up on his own album. (Possibly an older Lanois track?)
1 - Pentaonic bluesy riff over 6/8 rhythm pattern including Lanois on telecaster and Bono scat singing.
4 - Ambient piece in D-major.

Others , likely fake:
Youtube:
  • "Rehearsals" from InBloom74
  • three "New U2 riff"-videos from yevetsg - quickly removed by user himself.

Last update: October 28th 2008

Great compliation :up::up::up::up:.

That's called information.
Keep up the good job.

It has clearly similar if not identical lyrics to those in the "Breathe" clips.
Again, I haven't listened that much to the clips yet myself but judging from the interpretation of others it seems to be this song.
It was included in a waste bin (Danish Vipp) donated to charity - Chernobyl Children's Project International and The Food Bank for New York City obtained the money - in September along with 4-5 other sheets.

20080909bonolyricsre1.jpg

My interpretation can be found here:
U2 Feedback - View Single Post - New Beach Clips Lyrics?
That thread obviously contains other Beach Clip lyrics from 2008 as well.

ah that's very interesting, thank you very much. great list you compiled there btw

Does tour speculation go in here too?

http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/2008/u2-to-play-emirates-stadium

Speculation surrounding plans for U2’s world tour reached fever pitch at a music industry shindig on Monday night. In a fund-raising auction, Bono snapped up a box at the Emirates Stadium which insiders said were for friends and family for the band’s summer show at the football ground.

The bash at the Grosvenor House Hotel was held in honour of Lucien Grainge, CEO and Chairman of the Universal label. Among the many heavyweight industry movers and shakers at the shindig were some of the rock and pop world’s biggest stars. How’s U2, Take That, Razorlight and Girls Aloud for a guestlist?

The speculation over U2’s touring plans comes on the back of a number of rumours already circulating. If you believed everything you read and were a fan of the band, you’d already be trying to source tickets to the following places: Dublin’s Croke Park and new O2 venue, a stadium in the Portugese city of Oporto and Paris’s Stade De France.

We would also officially like to start the rumour they’ll be playing next year’s Winter Wonderland in Brixton Academy on December 2nd, 2009, as main support to Led Zeppelin and following a re-formed Stone Roses.

(always leery of "insiders said"):hmm:

Just thought I'd update this thread. :wink:

We would also officially like to start the rumour they’ll be playing next year’s Winter Wonderland in Brixton Academy on December 2nd, 2009, as main support to Led Zeppelin and following a re-formed Stone Roses.

:combust: There is no way this is real, but WOW. :combust:

U2, Lanois an Steve Lillywhite all in Londen at the same time?

U2 were obviously in Londen last Monday. Perhaps they still are, at least Bono was close yesterday evening :)

Daniel Lanois has revealed in interviews that he was going to London for 10 days to mix/record some more for the U2 album. And now I read that Steve Lillywhite will be in London for 10 days as well. Unfortunately neither Lanois nor Lillywhite have dates attached to their statements, but: who knows?

Record producer mixes with stars

"When Lillywhite gave everyone a 10-day break," ... "Eiriksson would be off to London to work on an album with Lillywhite, the British producer that might or might not be making the long-awaited U2 record."

Just wondering....anyone have any idea what the average time frame is for an album that has just been finished being mixed to get to the airwaves?

Because if they are still working on it now, and it is early November..does that leave enough time for a single to make it to the airwaves by December or January?

Just wondering

I thought this one was added already.
The poem which inspired Bono to start writing If I Could Live My Life Again:

Instantes - Jorge Luis Borges

If I could live my life again.
Next time, I would try to make more mistakes.
I would not try to be so perfect, I would relax more.
I would be sillier than I have been.
I would take fewer things seriously.
I would be less fastidious.
Accept more risks, I would take more trips,
Contemplate more evenings,
Climb more mountains, and swim more rivers...
I would go to more places where I have not been,
Eat more ice cream and fewer beans.
I would have more real problems and less imaginary ones.
I was one of those people who lived
sensibly and meticulously every minute of their life.
Of course I have had moments of happiness.
But if I could go back in time, I would try to
have good moments only,
and not waste precious time.
I was someone never went
anywhere without a thermometer, a
hot water bag, an umbrella
and a parachute. If I could live again,
I would travel more frivolously.
If I could live again, I would begin
to walk barefoot at the beginning of the spring
and I would continue to do so until the end of autumn.
I would ride more merry-go-rounds,
I would contemplate more evenings and I would play
with more children.
If I could have another life ahead.
But I am 85 years old you see, and I know that I am dying.

Source: Instantes

IDK, I hate to speculate on the success or failure of a song that may or may not ever see the light of day...but why do I get the feeling that it would just be another "One Step Closer" or "When I look at the world" type dissapointment?

The poem is wonderful, but I just don't see a great song coming out of it. Again, I'm just speculating.

If I could live my life again, I would speculate less and wait for the actual song to come out first.

:D

IDK, I hate to speculate on the success or failure of a song that may or may not ever see the light of day...but why do I get the feeling that it would just be another "One Step Closer" or "When I look at the world" type dissapointment?

The poem is wonderful, but I just don't see a great song coming out of it. Again, I'm just speculating.

If I could live my life again, I would speculate less and wait for the actual song to come out first.

:D

:scratch: When I Look At The World was a disappointment? Most people here (myself included) consider it one of the best songs on ATYCLB. The same goes for One Step Closer, really.

:scratch: When I Look At The World was a disappointment? Most people here (myself included) consider it one of the best songs on ATYCLB. The same goes for One Step Closer, really.

REALLY? :ohmy:

Um....I really really beg to differ. I mean c'mon, they didn't even play the whole song in concert...only snippets. How could it be that good? I think MOST people will agree that KITE was the best song on that album by a MILE.

WIATW has some of the worst lyrics on a U2 album in a long long time. The music is great, but I just can't get past the lyrics...very weak.

As for OSC, its the opposite...GREAT lyrics, bad music. I wish that one had picked up and become more of a conventional U2 song. The whole idea or concept of "the music almost starting to pick up but not reaching a high point" SOUNDED great, but the execution was one I was not fond of.

Hey, its okay...you don't have to gush over EVERYTHING that they've put out....And I don't. Thats the beauty of a band like U2. They put out different sounds and different arrangments and tastes for different fans.

I mean c'mon, they didn't even play the whole song in concert...only snippets. How could it be that good?

Actually, the reason they never played the song live is because Edge could never get the guitar tone right, according to U2 By U2 at least.

WIATW has some of the worst lyrics on a U2 album in a long long time. The music is great, but I just can't get past the lyrics...very weak.

I'm in the waiting room
I cant see for the smoke
I think of you and your holy book
When the rest of us choke

I can't think of any single verse on ATYCLB that tops that. Come to think of it, Kite's "It's summer, I can taste the salt in the sea" might surpass it, but that's not a complete verse. :hmm:

Anyway, it's all just opinion. No biggie. :up: I'm just surprised to see someone who can't stand WILATW is all.

Actually, the reason they never played the song live is because Edge could never get the guitar tone right, according to U2 By U2 at least.

I'm in the waiting room
I cant see for the smoke
I think of you and your holy book
When the rest of us choke

I can't think of any single verse on ATYCLB that tops that. Come to think of it, Kite's "It's summer, I can taste the salt in the sea" might surpass it, but that's not a complete verse. :hmm:

Anyway, it's all just opinion. No biggie. :up: I'm just surprised to see someone who can't stand WILATW is all.

I think that Edge guitar thing is an excuse. Trust me, if the song was that good they'd figure out a way to play it. I bet they'd even play it on an acoustic guitar if they had to.

Aw c'mon...you want better lyrics!!!! :ohmy:

I'm a man, I'm not a child
A man who sees the shadow behind your eyes

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know where the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
I don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

This one gave me chills when he sang it in concert. I teared up each time.

But like you said: Anyway, it's all just opinion. :wink:

My favourite lyric from Kite for what it worth is..........

"I wonder whats gonna happen to you, you wonder what has happed to me"

I think that lyric really sums up the song, it send shivers down my spine everytime,

although I must admit I'm a huge fan of "When I Look at the World" I would agree its one of the best songs on "All That You Cant Leave Behind" , both lyrics and music are amazing imo, on listening to the song tho , I came to the conclusion that it wasent played live because it would be too hard to, although the music sounds quit minamal there is alot going on in the sense of atmospherics, ie keyboards ,backing tracks, strange guitar parts, ENO! so I think it would be too hard to get this tune sounding full live,

I cant understand the critcism of "One Step Closer", It could be one of U2's best ever songs imo, although on this forum seems to be the one most people would like replaced, again I think the lyrics and music are incredible, esp the music I think the band have created a v atmopheric sound v mellon collie and dark[ish] sound, which is something the havent done in a long time, the lyrics are great too, I think Bono really captures a worn down longing for more sound in his voice and lyrics. [kinda the same vibe as "When I Look at the World"]

My favourite lyric from Kite for what it worth is..........

"I wonder whats gonna happen to you, you wonder what has happed to me"

I think that lyric really sums up the song, it send shivers down my spine everytime,

although I must admit I'm a huge fan of "When I Look at the World" I would agree its one of the best songs on "All That You Cant Leave Behind" , both lyrics and music are amazing imo, on listening to the song tho , I came to the conclusion that it wasent played live because it would be too hard to, although the music sounds quit minamal there is alot going on in the sense of atmospherics, ie keyboards ,backing tracks, strange guitar parts, ENO! so I think it would be too hard to get this tune sounding full live,

I cant understand the critcism of "One Step Closer", It could be one of U2's best ever songs imo, although on this forum seems to be the one most people would like replaced, again I think the lyrics and music are incredible, esp the music I think the band have created a v atmopheric sound v mellon collie and dark[ish] sound, which is something the havent done in a long time, the lyrics are great too, I think Bono really captures a worn down longing for more sound in his voice and lyrics. [kinda the same vibe as "When I Look at the World"]

Here's my biggest criticism of One Step Closer, FWIW....

...As I mentioned in a previous post, the lyrics are fantastic. Bono does a great job of painting a nice visual of someone literally standing in the middle of traffic. The analogy works really well to convey the dark subject matter of his father's death in the song. What bugs me most is that the song tries really hard musically to be atmospheric but in the end it fails.

"Running to Stand Still", "Exit", "With or Without You" are all very successful atmospheric songs. Even "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" as weak as it may initially appear comes across more successful atmospherically than OSC.

In the end, its all a matter of opinion of course. Its obvious we share different opinions, which is fine. I will go back and relisten to OSC and try to hear what you are describing. Who knows, maybe I'll come back with a different take on it. But for now, the way I feel is as I just mentioned above.

Opinions obviously vary, but the overall consensus is that One Step Closer is weak. However, WILATW is generally considered the strongest song on the second half of ATYCLB. So, you are half right.

Opinions obviously vary, but the overall consensus is that One Step Closer is weak. However, WILATW is generally considered the strongest song on the second half of ATYCLB. So, you are half right.

Don't get me wrong, I like WILATW, I just don't love it. Edge's guitar and Eno's added keyboard sounds are fantastic. I think the music carries the song's weak lyrics and makes it work well enough to be on the album. I personally think that the BEST song on the "second half" of the album is New York. But I'm well aware that I'm part of the minority on that one seeing that its a bit of a departure from your typical "U2 sounding" song and might not be as readily accessible to the average U2 fan.

Back
Top Bottom