So what've we got so far? - a proposed map of the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Waiting four + years for this album... we deserve more than just 12 measly new songs, especially if they've 'hit a rich songwriting vein'. I really, really want to hear new material.:hyper:

Well, i'd like it if they'd release a 12-14 song album followed by another one in a year or two with left over and new material. :)

I truly believe we will get the first single before January 1st and the album in late February. We are sooo close to hearing some new U2. Get ready for an onslaught of media hype, radio play, single hype, album hype, tour hype, and a new look to U2.com within the next 3-4 weeks !!!! Coldplay is currently enjoying being the biggest and best band in the world, but our lads are gearing up to snatch that away in a big way and I for one can't wait!!!

I truly believe we will get the first single before January 1st and the album in late February. We are sooo close to hearing some new U2. Get ready for an onslaught of media hype, radio play, single hype, album hype, tour hype, and a new look to U2.com within the next 3-4 weeks !!!! Coldplay is currently enjoying being the biggest and best band in the world, but our lads are gearing up to snatch that away in a big way and I for one can't wait!!!

Woo! That's the spirit!

I can't get over a possible single release in a few weeks, all these interviews, then a Christmas cover song.

We are slowly getting there. :drool:

:up::up::up:

Thats the optimistic spirit we need! :applaud:

:rockon:

Indeed, i've said many times before but this album will be a cracker, i'd put my house on it. :hyper:

:reject:

U2 will stomp all over Coldplay.

A great way to end the decade....30 years of productivity and still counting.

I hope all the U2 fans will come out and support this record especially if it is a great one...as I feel it probably will be as the band have a quiet confidence about it.

Cross out everyday on the calendar until the release date, plus it's great that there are still some optimistic fans out there who think U2 can still produce a cracker of an album, or double album. :wink:

I figured I'd post this info to bring anyone up to date on the album and bring the thread back to relevance. Its taken form: U2 new album information from @U2

The site has always been a solid and legit resource for official/unofficial U2 info.

ALBUM NAME: unknown; likely No Line On The Horizon, which Edge says is the working title in this MOJO magazine interview; Universal Music has registered nolineonthehorizon.com

PRODUCER(s): Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, and Steve Lillywhite have all been in the studio during album sessions; material from September, 2007, sessions with Rick Rubin have been "shelved" according to Edge in this MOJO magazine interview

ALBUM RELEASE DATE: In a September 3 article on U2.com, Bono says the album will be released in early 2009. A "band insider" told Hot Press it'll be released in February 2009.

FORMATS: unknown; rumors are that there may be two albums involved -- one released in traditional CD and digital formats, and one only available digitally (iTunes, etc.)

TRACKLIST: unknown

POSSIBLE SONGS MENTIONED:

These are songs that have been mentioned in the buildup to U2's next studio album:

"Unknown Caller" - Edge talks about the song in this MOJO magazine interview. It's one of the songs recorded in Fez, Morocco, and Edge says it "seems to be everyone's favourite or second favourite tune on the album." In the beginning of the track, Edge says you can hear the swallows that were flying above the band in the open atrium of the riad in Fez where they were recording.
"Stand Up" - in this Reuters article, Bono says the song is inspired by the Stand Up and Take Action campaign events of October 17-19; "It's not a 'let's hold hands and the world is a better place sort of song.' It's more kick down the door of your own hypocrisy," Bono says.
"Get On Your Boots" - described in this Q magazine article as "Eddie Cochran with barbershop harmonies'; previously referred to in some articles as "Sexy Boots"
"Breathe" - described in this Q magazine article as a "f--k-off live rocker"
"The Cedars of Lebanon" - Daniel Lanois revealed this track in an interview with the Montreal magazine, Voir. He said the song was inspired by Jimi Hendrix.
"Moment of Surrender" - an 8-minute-long track mentioned in this Q magazine article; Brian Eno told fans outside Hanover Quay studios in early June, 2008, that it's "the best thing" he's recorded with U2. Edge talks about the song a bit more in this MOJO magazine interview, saying it's 7-and-a-half minutes long.
"For Your Love" - a song title seen on the band's white board, as described in this article from the Fez recording sessions; in this Q magazine article, Edge says it has one of the best riffs he's ever played
"One Bird" - a song title seen on the band's white board, as described in this article from the Fez recording sessions
"No Line On The Horizon" - Bono and Edge played this song for a USA Today writer during an in-the-car interview at the Sundance Film Festival. On hearing it, writer Anthony Breznican says "heavy distortion fills the car," and later adds: "The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain." Edge explains that the song "It came out of a new distortion box that my guitar tech got."
Unknown Title - in the same interview with Anthony Breznican, Bono and Edge played a second song whose opening lyric is, "It's six o'clock...". Bono tells Breznican that numbers are significant in each of the new songs.
"If I Could Live My Life Again" - Bono says this song is "inspired by the great Argentinian poet Jorge Luis Borges." Bono said he had just begun the song while speaking with author Michka Assayas in December, 2005. Their interview appears as the extra material in the paperback version of Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas.
"Love Is All We Have Left" - a song Bono named during his May, 2006, trip to Africa as one that he had recently written. "It’s like an old Broadway tune. I thought it was a Frank Sinatra song," Bono said.
"North Star" a song from the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. In this CCM article, Smith describes the song as a tribute to Johnny Cash.
"Mercy" one of the last songs to get cut from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, described in Blender magazine as "a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish"
"Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" -- a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in this February, 2003, interview with Bono in Grammy Magazine
"You Can't Give Away Your Heart" - a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in SPIN magazine

LATEST NEWS

November 24, 2008: All kinds of U2 album news in this MOJO magazine interview with Edge:

Album is likely to be called No Line On The Horizon
Songs from 2006 session with Rick Rubin have been "shelved"
Edge talks about songs called "Unknown Caller" and "Moment of Surrender"
Best to just read the interview...

November 15, 2008: Daniel Lanois tells the Boston Herald about the new U2 material: "I believe, well, rock ’n’ roll has been reinvented one more time. (Laughs)"

November 4, 2008: Daniel Lanois tells the Canadian Press that U2's new album is "fantastically innovative" and "some of their best work. He says he'll be joining the band for 10 more days of work later this month, but doesn't know when they'll be done. "It has broken new sonic ground, and I think Bono's lyrics and vocal performances are better than ever. I'm glad to see he's stepping up and talking about what's on his mind."

October 24, 2008: Daniel Lanois describes the new album in an interview with Canada.com:

"It's very sophisticated, rhythmically," said a coy Lanois. "I'm talking high-grade and wicked. We've gotten to a place, a combination of myself and (Brian) Eno, I think we've just done something that's never been done before. The president of the company is singing like a bird."

October 22, 2008: Bono tells Reuters that he's working on a new song called "Stand Up," that's inspired by the Stand Up and Take Action anti-poverty events of October 17-19

I hope we can get some news on the tracklist about a few songs or whatever.

Hmm, a traditional CD and digital only download. :drool:

GET ON YOUR BOOTS!

In London, Shooting A Video
Larry, Edge, Bono and Adam were holed up in a warehouse on the outskirts of London yesterday, shooting a video with director Alex Courtes.

Performing a brand new song, the band worked on the shoot from late morning till late night, the elegantly mustachioed Courtes directing proceedings on the green stage.

We are sworn to secrecy on the finer details of the shoot... but there may have been some marching girls involved. With their boots on.

Courtes last worked with the band - with Martin Fougerol - on the video for City of Blinding Lights in 2005. And their work on 'Vertigo' won them the Grammy for 'Best Short Form Video'. That was the first single release from 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'...

More as we get it...

U2.com | Official News

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Not sure if this has been posted before.

Harry Crosbie: 'U2's Album is Best to Date'
U2's new album reminds me of the Beatles, says 02 chief
Dublin Evening Herald, December 12, 2008

He admits he's not the most impartial source, but Point Village owner Harry Crosbie is hailing U2's new album as their best to date.

The affable developer of the sprawling new O2 arena joined two of the band's stars in the venue last Sunday as Bono and the Edge filmed footage there for a new Ronnie Drew special.

And Harry, who has been friends with the superstar band for years, told the Diary how he was blown away when he heard material from their new album.

"I think it's the best thing they have ever done and I am not just saying that because they are my friends," he said.

"It is a stunning piece of creative work and, to me, it reminds me of the Beatles when they were at their best. It's a fabulous piece of work."

Bono and the Edge became one of the first artists to perform at the new O2 venue after Harry enticed them down to his new multi-million euro venue.

But he laughed: "I've been looking after them for many years and they decided to repay the favour, so they did a little private concert and the sound was studio perfect. When we were waiting to listen to them, Bono was messing around doing opera and we could hear it crystal clear on the back seats, with no microphones. It was a great day."

His concert venue will now play host to a bevy of superstars over the coming weeks, including Coldplay and Kings of Leon.

So, we've had Bono's bodyguard saying it's the best ever U2 album or something like that, then we've had Eno and Lanois say the same thing now we have the owner Harry Crosbie who thinks its U2s best.

:drool:

I'm just curious what Harry considers the Beatles' best work to be. Is he referring to Rubber Soul? White Album? Sgt. Peppers? Very different sounds on those three.

I'm just saying. Thats like someone saying that a band sounds like U2 at their best. Well, what would that mean? Joshua Tree? Achtung Baby? ATYCLB? Know what I mean?

Still a good thing none the less.

Title album: No Line On The Horizon (confirmed, could be changed)

1. Mercy (not 100% sure, confirmed by Bono about 6 months ago)
2. Cedars of Lebanon (confirmed)
3. Get on Your Boots (confirmed)
4. Moment of Surrender (confirmed)
5. Unknown Caller (confirmed)
6. Breathe (confirmed?)
7. ...
8. ...
9. ...
10. ...
11. ...
(12. ...)

Title album: No Line On The Horizon (confirmed, could be changed)

I'm really struggling to comprehend why people on this board keep insisting that Mercy will be included on this album or any album for that matter. Its been stated various times by many of the band members that it will not make the cut. I wish we could put this dying hope to rest.

Its like waiting for the "Great Pumpkin" except this one ain't gonna show up.

2. Cedars of Lebanon (confirmed)
3. Get on Your Boots (confirmed)
4. Moment of Surrender (confirmed)
5. Unknown Caller (confirmed)
6. Breathe (confirmed?)
7. Stand Up
8. For Your Love (led zeppelinish kinda riff thing, almost confirmed)
9. "Only Love" thing if not on the above list
10. ...
11. ...
(12. ...)

and the LP still miss 2 songs...:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom