So What Is The Deal W/ Bono's Voice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tommycharles said:
Not to be pedantic but I'm positive that I've seen a ZOO-TV shot that has Bono wearing IEMs.

Could be, I just don't recall it personally...care to share? I didn't think they were, but I've been known to be horribly wrong about once every 7th leap year.

:wink:

gvox said:

Could be, I just don't recall it personally...care to share? I didn't think they were, but I've been known to be horribly wrong about once every 7th leap year.

The one I was thinking of was taken during "One", but in the absence of that, you can see one pretty clearly in this photo:

http://www.geocities.com/u2macphistosplace/Macphisto_6.jpg

I know some people sing the praises of IEMs, and I'm sure for bigger shows, they're a godsend... a fellow guitarist once said to me "It's great, you get done and you feel like you haven't played a show!" ... but I *like* that feeling like you've just been a part of a hurricane. You can get managable volume and a good mix without IEMs...really.

T

last unicorn said:

Where did you hear/read that Bono had back surgery?

Larry is the one with back surgery.

It's well known that Bono has had back problem for years and that he had/or still has some sort of treatment. Also, he said himself that he gained weight because it became painful for him to exercise. In 2005, you could clearly see on many occassions that he was in pain because of his back. While on tour, he had no real time to relax and recover. I believe it's better now but having permanent back problems makes you more cautious about excercising and such. He needs a good trainer/physician to do some work out that does not affect his back and still helps him to get back into shape.

Did not hear that anywhere- back problems, sorry, misspoke. What you just said about 2005 was exactly the point I was trying to make w/ him exercising. My bad.

tommycharles said:

The one I was thinking of was taken during "One", but in the absence of that, you can see one pretty clearly in this photo:

http://www.geocities.com/u2macphistosplace/Macphisto_6.jpg

I know some people sing the praises of IEMs, and I'm sure for bigger shows, they're a godsend... a fellow guitarist once said to me "It's great, you get done and you feel like you haven't played a show!" ... but I *like* that feeling like you've just been a part of a hurricane. You can get managable volume and a good mix without IEMs...really.

T

I can't really agree wholeheartedly here. Imo there isn't an environment where, used properly and with quality earbuds, an IEM system doesn't radically help a singer. It's night and day, small venue or large venue. Good buds that can handle the low frequencies and an ambience mic will get you back into the eye of the hurricaine ;) Or sometimes I'll go one ear in/one ear out.

Besides, guitarists always think the singer's getting 'decent stage volume'. They're usually wrong :lol:

:wink:

eta thanks for the Bono shot - you are right, he's got them in :up:

Just an FYI on the throat surgery thing. Bono actually didn't end up having throat surgery but he did have a major sinus reaming out surgically. This was either leading up to or during the recording of ATYCLB. His doctor insisted he go under for a possible biopsy but his throat was fine, the problem was the sinuses because of his allergies. As for the smoking he still cheats some but has said in interviews that he does not smoke the day of a show (possibly the day before as well) because of the allergic affect. Same with the wine, he still drinks some but is more careful about when and how much when he is having to sing. And no I can't point to specific interviews for proof but this is what I've picked up from reading everything I can get my hands on for the last 2 1/2 years. Also during Elevation the other factor that was causing voice difficulties was the fact that he was talking his ass off doing the political stuff while on tour and really didn't rest his voice between shows like he should. He was often going straight from concerts to strategy meetings and such. His voice was coming back and improving but it was very hit and miss on that tour. Vertigo overall was much more consistant but still improving. The last leg was fantastic though and the operatic part in Miss Sarajevo was not something he would have attempted before Vertigo.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom