So What Is The Deal W/ Bono's Voice? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chrissybaby
in ear monitor, they transmit an fm signal, that's why bootleggers can capture them...
Not all of them transmit an FM signal...
__________________

BVS is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:28 PM
www.bonosvoice.st

That's what the deal with Bono's voice is.
__________________

phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #23
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,898
Local Time: 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
www.bonosvoice.st
See: Super Win
gvox is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
zoopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,494
Local Time: 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by gvox
That's a very limited explanation, especially when talking about Bono's use of them...

IEM - In Ear Monitor

The musician gets a feed from the monitor position. If it's a singer, that feed / mix will definitely include the singer's own voice, along with whatever else he/she wants in the mix. It may or may not include the click/metronome tempo. If I'm not mistaken I don't believe Bono's includes the metronome, he has the band mix in his ears as well so it's less necessary for him. Larry's the guy that keeps the band on tempo and to the backing tracks so he would have it for sure and I would be willing to bet Edge's would also.
Thank you.
zoopop is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #25
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,297
Local Time: 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Just to clarify... weight and singing really don't have any relation, for there are many great overweight singers, but lungs and all the muscles used in singing make a difference.
I understand, just making the point he was taking better care of himself/probably feeling better after back surgery and how he feels is in some ways reflected in his singing. Thats all, did not mean to suggest there was some relation between the two, sorry.
U2387 is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #26
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,297
Local Time: 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gvox


Here we go with this 'prove' thing again. I like your insights, but alot of times people say things about Bono's personal life that they have no clue about or they base it off one or two newspaper clippings written by numbskulls who also don't have a clue what they're yapping about. I think that's what grates on peoples nerves the most when they see threads like this one. The point is, neither you nor I have any real idea what Bono does on a daily basis, and frankly, I don't really care. What I *hear* when I stand in the ellipse and listen to him sing, is a. proper vocal training and b. a singer wearing IEMs and singing alot smarter than he used to. That's it for me.

Stick to the facts: Bono's weight has always fluctuated, he has always exercised to one extent or another, he drinks, and he still smokes. So what?
I was sticking to the facts: he lost weight in 2006 and many sources, including Bono himself have talked about cutting back on smoking. I am not just going on numbskulls opinions, I am going on what I saw and read from multiple sources who interviewed him. Is the smoking part right- I do not know, never claimed to know at all what he does every day, I have my own life, I just said what I read. You can decide for yourself whether to believe them, I never said one way or the other. The weight part is pretty obvious, and the smoking was confirmed by Bono. If I strayed from the facts at all I am sorry.
U2387 is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 02:47 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2387


I understand, just making the point he was taking better care of himself/probably feeling better after back surgery and how he feels is in some ways reflected in his singing. Thats all, did not mean to suggest there was some relation between the two, sorry.
Where did you hear/read that Bono had back surgery?

Larry is the one with back surgery.

It's well known that Bono has had back problem for years and that he had/or still has some sort of treatment. Also, he said himself that he gained weight because it became painful for him to exercise. In 2005, you could clearly see on many occassions that he was in pain because of his back. While on tour, he had no real time to relax and recover. I believe it's better now but having permanent back problems makes you more cautious about excercising and such. He needs a good trainer/physician to do some work out that does not affect his back and still helps him to get back into shape.
last unicorn is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 02:53 AM   #28
Refugee
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: in a French-ass restaurant
Posts: 1,482
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Bono had surgery to remove an ingrown toenail in 1995. This is why Pop was so awesome. I know this because I am Bono.
Mr. V is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2387


I understand, just making the point he was taking better care of himself/probably feeling better after back surgery
BVS is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #30
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 716
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Not to be pedantic but I'm positive that I've seen a ZOO-TV shot that has Bono wearing IEMs.
tommycharles is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Rosebud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in the enchanted forest of dreams and wonderment...or else at my computer.
Posts: 7,213
Local Time: 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Eazy-V
Bono had surgery to remove an ingrown toenail in 1995. This is why Pop was so awesome. I know this because I am Bono.
Rosebud is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #32
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,898
Local Time: 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tommycharles
Not to be pedantic but I'm positive that I've seen a ZOO-TV shot that has Bono wearing IEMs.
Could be, I just don't recall it personally...care to share? I didn't think they were, but I've been known to be horribly wrong about once every 7th leap year.




gvox is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #33
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 716
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gvox


Could be, I just don't recall it personally...care to share? I didn't think they were, but I've been known to be horribly wrong about once every 7th leap year.
The one I was thinking of was taken during "One", but in the absence of that, you can see one pretty clearly in this photo:

http://www.geocities.com/u2macphisto...acphisto_6.jpg

I know some people sing the praises of IEMs, and I'm sure for bigger shows, they're a godsend... a fellow guitarist once said to me "It's great, you get done and you feel like you haven't played a show!" ... but I *like* that feeling like you've just been a part of a hurricane. You can get managable volume and a good mix without IEMs...really.

T
tommycharles is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #34
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,297
Local Time: 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by last unicorn


Where did you hear/read that Bono had back surgery?

Larry is the one with back surgery.

It's well known that Bono has had back problem for years and that he had/or still has some sort of treatment. Also, he said himself that he gained weight because it became painful for him to exercise. In 2005, you could clearly see on many occassions that he was in pain because of his back. While on tour, he had no real time to relax and recover. I believe it's better now but having permanent back problems makes you more cautious about excercising and such. He needs a good trainer/physician to do some work out that does not affect his back and still helps him to get back into shape.
Did not hear that anywhere- back problems, sorry, misspoke. What you just said about 2005 was exactly the point I was trying to make w/ him exercising. My bad.
U2387 is offline  
Old 04-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
www.bonosvoice.st

That's what the deal with Bono's voice is.
I use it for all of my Bono's Voice needs.
coolian2 is offline  
Old 04-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #36
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,898
Local Time: 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tommycharles


The one I was thinking of was taken during "One", but in the absence of that, you can see one pretty clearly in this photo:

http://www.geocities.com/u2macphisto...acphisto_6.jpg

I know some people sing the praises of IEMs, and I'm sure for bigger shows, they're a godsend... a fellow guitarist once said to me "It's great, you get done and you feel like you haven't played a show!" ... but I *like* that feeling like you've just been a part of a hurricane. You can get managable volume and a good mix without IEMs...really.

T
I can't really agree wholeheartedly here. Imo there isn't an environment where, used properly and with quality earbuds, an IEM system doesn't radically help a singer. It's night and day, small venue or large venue. Good buds that can handle the low frequencies and an ambience mic will get you back into the eye of the hurricaine Or sometimes I'll go one ear in/one ear out.

Besides, guitarists always think the singer's getting 'decent stage volume'. They're usually wrong






eta thanks for the Bono shot - you are right, he's got them in
gvox is offline  
Old 04-13-2008, 11:27 PM   #37
Refugee
 
rihannsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 1,310
Local Time: 11:28 PM
Just an FYI on the throat surgery thing. Bono actually didn't end up having throat surgery but he did have a major sinus reaming out surgically. This was either leading up to or during the recording of ATYCLB. His doctor insisted he go under for a possible biopsy but his throat was fine, the problem was the sinuses because of his allergies. As for the smoking he still cheats some but has said in interviews that he does not smoke the day of a show (possibly the day before as well) because of the allergic affect. Same with the wine, he still drinks some but is more careful about when and how much when he is having to sing. And no I can't point to specific interviews for proof but this is what I've picked up from reading everything I can get my hands on for the last 2 1/2 years. Also during Elevation the other factor that was causing voice difficulties was the fact that he was talking his ass off doing the political stuff while on tour and really didn't rest his voice between shows like he should. He was often going straight from concerts to strategy meetings and such. His voice was coming back and improving but it was very hit and miss on that tour. Vertigo overall was much more consistant but still improving. The last leg was fantastic though and the operatic part in Miss Sarajevo was not something he would have attempted before Vertigo.

Dana
__________________

rihannsu is offline  
 

Tags
bono, bono's mouth

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×