So what did people think of the Target commercial featuring U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I just saw it for the first time last night during the Grammies. Footage from them doing Elevation in Boston and then it shows some kid laying on the grass listening to them on his headphones...then back to the band...the the kid again. Then some comment about a guy on a motorcycle (I didn't get that...maybe I missed something). All in all, I found it kinda fun to see and hear them featured so much, but I'm sure there will be some who find it just one more nail in the coffin of "selling out". Although to be fair, it is Target advertising to sell a product they carry...the U2 DVD.
biggrin.gif

I liked it. Not exactly the best commercial I've ever seen, but it was funny. Isn't it the first U2 commercial, or was there one before this?

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I love this commercial...I laugh my ass off each time I see it. The first few times I saw it, they didn't cut to the DVD footage, they just played more of Elevation. I call it "The U2 commercial for U2 fans", because who else "gets" it?
The motorcycle part is a parody(right word?) of Larry in the Elevation video...

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
I call it "The U2 commercial for U2 fans", because who else "gets" it?
The motorcycle part is a parody(right word?) of Larry in the Elevation video...

Yeah, I agree, a parody.
smile.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Try explaining this video to someone.....
it's not easy. My sister said "Only psycho U2 fans are gonna get it"
Damn right!
I wish I could get it on my U2 tape.......
but I never know how it starts.

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
Try explaining this video to someone.....
it's not easy. My sister said "Only psycho U2 fans are gonna get it"
Damn right!
I wish I could get it on my U2 tape.......
but I never know how it starts.

lol
biggrin.gif
Definitely JUST us psychos. Apparently, judging from other people's posts, I was the only one taping every single minute of the Grammys.. hmm.

------------------

yeah, Larry was the first thing that came to mind when they mentioned motorcycles. But since it was the concert video and not the Elevation music video, I couldn't quite see how they were referring to him.

Oh and I did record every bit of the grammies last night because I programmed the VCR and then went to a grammy party. I plan to sit down with it and re-record all the U2 moments onto another tape (keeping all the little random shots of them as well as their wins, and of course this commercial.
biggrin.gif
)

-sula

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
lol
biggrin.gif
Definitely JUST us psychos. Apparently, judging from other people's posts, I was the only one taping every single minute of the Grammys.. hmm.

HaHa I taped the whole thing too because I was running back and forth between my living room (tv) to my office (computer). But when those whores (lady marmaduke) came on, I almost turned it OFF!

Originally posted by z edge:
HaHa I taped the whole thing too because I was running back and forth between my living room (tv) to my office (computer). But when those whores (lady marmaduke) came on, I almost turned it OFF!

I *sort* of enjoy the song, but now, after that performance.. YUCK. Pink looked like a troll.

------------------

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
yeah, Larry was the first thing that came to mind when they mentioned motorcycles. But since it was the concert video and not the Elevation music video, I couldn't quite see how they were referring to him.

Oh and I did record every bit of the grammies last night because I programmed the VCR and then went to a grammy party. I plan to sit down with it and re-record all the U2 moments onto another tape (keeping all the little random shots of them as well as their wins, and of course this commercial.
biggrin.gif
)

Yeah -- that party must have been amazing because everyone's talking about it.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
Eh -- I have to confess, it took me 5 or 6 minutes to "get" the commercial's meaning. I suppose they wanted to show the concert footage from the DVD instead of the video to sell more copies of the DVD..

------------------

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 02-28-2002).]

Like I said....the first time I saw the commercial, there was no cut to the DVD, just the Tomb Raider mix was playing(which is now been replaced by music from the DVD). So it was a little easier to understand.
I'm quite impressed that they did a U2 commercial pretty much based on Larry.

Oh, and I wish I could have taped the entire Grammys, but I only had about an hour on my U2 tape. I really wanted to finish it off by having the grammys on there. Small sacrifices, I guess.

[This message has been edited by Mrs.Clayton (edited 02-28-2002).]

Sorry to be a kill joy here.

The Target video is put out to SELL products.

It hurts U2's integrity and makes them look desperate.

"We were Desperate to be relevant rather than successful"-Bono after the Grammys.

I thought that relevant and succesful go together in some way. I was confused and somewhat annoyed with that remark b/c it makes me wonder why they wrote ATYCLB in the first place: to make radio-friendly hits and sell records or to bring attention back to R-N-R? I think both.

I am curious to hear any replies.

I just saw it for the first time last night during the Grammies. Footage from them doing Elevation in Boston and then it shows some kid laying on the grass listening to them on his headphones...then back to the band...the the kid again. Then some comment about a guy on a motorcycle (I didn't get that...maybe I missed something). All in all, I found it kinda fun to see and hear them featured so much, but I'm sure there will be some who find it just one more nail in the coffin of "selling out". Although to be fair, it is Target advertising to sell a product they carry...the U2 DVD.
biggrin.gif

Good points.

An astute and intelligent observer would realize that U2 are selling THEMSELVES, NOT a product. This is completely different from lets say, N'Sync in the Chilis commercial....

Originally posted by MBH:
...is completely different from lets say, N'Sync in the Chilis commercial....

Chili's grosses me out. I got the worst case of food poisoning I ever had from eating one of their spicy black bean burger dealies. Now every time I even pass by a Chili's or see one of their commercials, I can feel the food poisoning all over again. I kind of get the same way when I hear N'Sync, so maybe the N'Sync/Chili's connection is apropos... of nothing. Nevermind.
wink.gif

Since I'm not in the US.. can someone describe this commercial in vivid, well worded detail so I can experience it without seeing it? Or if you wanna skimp and summarize, I guess that would be ok too.

Sorry to be a kill joy here.

The Target video is put out to SELL products.

It hurts U2's integrity and makes them look desperate.

"We were Desperate to be relevant rather than successful"-Bono after the Grammys.

I thought that relevant and succesful go together in some way. I was confused and somewhat annoyed with that remark b/c it makes me wonder why they wrote ATYCLB in the first place: to make radio-friendly hits and sell records or to bring attention back to R-N-R? I think both.

I am curious to hear any replies.

O.K., KillJoy!
wink.gif

Actually, over the years, I have seen "commercials" for U2's CDs and tapes/DVDs. I've seen U2 mentioned in Best Buy ads, I've seen them advertised - heavily - in Rolling Stone, I've seen them mentioned in other music store ads, on and on. While this Target commercial focused on U2 (most likely due to the "7" collaboration), it's easy to see how another song could be used in that same ad - and we may very well see that commercial but with another artist at some point in the future.

Actually, MBH, I think you're dead wrong. The commercial is selling a DVD which IS a product. The ad is one by Target NOT by U2. Just because a store decides to try to get the general public to buy music by an artist whom they carry, does that mean the artist had any say whatsoever in the commercial itself? In the minds of some nay-sayers, every thing that involves U2 can be seen as some sort of "sell-out". *yawn* How original.

Actually, MBH, I think you're dead wrong. The commercial is selling a DVD which IS a product. The ad is one by Target NOT by U2. Just because a store decides to try to get the general public to buy music by an artist whom they carry, does that mean the artist had any say whatsoever in the commercial itself? In the minds of some nay-sayers, every thing that involves U2 can be seen as some sort of "sell-out". *yawn* How original.

*applauds sulawesigirl4
smile.gif

Once again, I find myself agreeing with you sula - and you threw out yet another interesting perspective to this debate (namely the obvious one - that this is a *Target* commercial, not a U2 commercial). Well done!!
biggrin.gif

It's really not that complicated. Target payed U2 13 million dollars to shill for them. U2 are doing advertisements for Target and Best Buy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either living in serious denial or doesn't understand how advertising works. Releasing a DVD that's only available in ONE store chain for two weeks is an advertisement for that store. That particular chain (Best Buy wasn't it?)paid millions of dollars to U2 to get them to do that. I have friends who own and work for independent record shops and this is the sort of thing that marginalizes them and puts them out of business. Not that U2 cares. They can't afford to pay them enough to make them care.
Next U2 released an album of rarities that was only available at Target and received 13 million dollars in return. Target, a store found in only one country, (the U.S.) and only in certain regions of that one country. That's called doing ad work for Target. This is not debatable. U2 could have released 7 through Propaganda if they wanted the real fans to get it. They could have released it worldwide if they wanted casual and new fans to hear it. But it had nothing to do with the music and everything to do with 13 million dollars.
Each of us can make up our own minds as to whether U2 becoming corporate shills after holding out for so many years is a good or bad thing. I think it sucks. I'm sure all of you are ecstatic. After all Bono did it and he's a saint, right?
I heard Bono's going to be doing adverts for a sunglasses company next. There's going to be a "Bono" line of shades. How wonderful. Is there any doubt that a McDonalds commercial is on its way?

MAP

Intially I cringed.
Then I shrugged my shoulders and smiled cuz it was a clever add.
Then I read some of the responses from the more astute and elequent minds here and have since came away enlightened.

DB9

I liked the commercial and as I've stated before, I dont care about the sell out thing. They can have a U2 blimp for all I care as long as they fricking have tours like Elevation and albums like Achtung Baby and ATYCLB every 2-4 years, I really wouldnt care if they were on the KMART sign. Big f*cking deal. What does it really mean in terms of great music and great concerts? Isnt that why we like U2? Or are we still in the 80s thinking they somehow rock against the establishment? Time for a reality check.

Originally posted by U2LA:
I liked the commercial and as I've stated before, I dont care about the sell out thing. They can have a U2 blimp for all I care as long as they fricking have tours like Elevation and albums like Achtung Baby and ATYCLB every 2-4 years, I really wouldnt care if they were on the KMART sign. Big f*cking deal. What does it really mean in terms of great music and great concerts? Isnt that why we like U2? Or are we still in the 80s thinking they somehow rock against the establishment? Time for a reality check.

I feel exactly the same!

"Welcome to McDonalds. Would you like to BONO-size your value meal today sir for only $.39"

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
U2 are doing advertisements for Target and Best Buy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either living in serious denial or doesn't understand how advertising works. Releasing a DVD that's only available in ONE store chain for two weeks is an advertisement for that store. That particular chain (Best Buy wasn't it?)paid millions of dollars to U2 to get them to do that. I have friends who own and work for independent record shops and this is the sort of thing that marginalizes them and puts them out of business.

Next U2 released an album of rarities that was only available at Target and received 13 million dollars in return. Target, a store found in only one country, (the U.S.) and only in certain regions of that one country. That's called doing ad work for Target. This is not debatable. U2 could have released 7 through Propaganda if they wanted the real fans to get it. They could have released it worldwide if they wanted casual and new fans to hear it. But it had nothing to do with the music and everything to do with 13 million dollars.

Each of us can make up our own minds as to whether U2 becoming corporate shills after holding out for so many years is a good or bad thing. I think it sucks. I'm sure all of you are ecstatic. After all Bono did it and he's a saint, right?

One thing you are forgetting is that non-U.S. fans HAVE the songs on "7" already. This is because CD singles with those songs were released in countries around the world. In another topic I posted, I referenced an article talking about the demise of the single - at least in the U.S. It's this demise of the single that prevented U.S. audiences from hearing these gems (unless you were a die-hard). "7" gave U.S. audiences the opportunity to hear those songs - and at an affordable price (no spending $10 per each imported CD single).

Seeing as how the tracks on "7" were b-sides and remixes, would it even be worth releasing this item to every store? Some stores wouldn't even bother having "7" as it wasn't a new album. And, given the cheap price (these days, the CD singles you can find are $5 and up), many stores might not carry it as they couldn't make a profit. These "little Joe's" that everyone discusses as the ones who are really losing out are the very people that drive costs up - because these stores aren't big enough to diversify. These small stores must charge more to make $$. Something like "7" just wouldn't be profitable.

Could U2 have thrown "7" in with Propaganda? Sure - but again, non-U.S. fans already had access to these songs. While U.S. fans would have loved the free CD, non-U.S. fans would have complained about getting a CD of tracks that they already bought on the CD singles.

In other words, while there clearly was some promotional hand-shaking between U2 and Target, I thought it was well-done. Small stores couldn't afford to sell the CD this cheaply. Some stores might not carry it as it wasn't a new album. Plus, U2 might not have wanted to give the impression that this was a new album (like Jennifer Lopez's new remixed album). By making this deal, U2 was able to release those great b-sides to U.S. fans without charging them a fortune or causing a lot of "hoopla." In exchange, Target did a bit of promotion for the album. As I wrote above, I have seen MANY U2 ads over the years - including during the "glorified" 80's. I see no difference between the hand-shaking marketing done in the 80's ("oh look, there's a U2 ad in Rolling Stone magazine - right after the U2 article!") vs. U2's activity now.

As for the Best Buy promotion - perhaps that was a bit over the top. However, this was necessary and was a marketing ploy. The rather horrid sales of the "PopMart" videotape is what caused the Interscope/U2 marketing team to come up with this idea. By making the "Elevation" DVD more exclusive for those first two weeks, demand increased - so much so that many Best Buy stores ran out of the DVD! First week sales of the DVD topped 20,000 copies! Typically, the #1 selling DVD is around 5-10,000 copies.

Now, did this partnership with Best Buy hurt other businesses? Maybe just a bit at first, but once the DVD became available, even complaining businesses were quick to purchase it. Why? Because the video became a "hot" item - and those businesses wanted to cash in on it as well.

I do not view these marketing actions naively. There's no "Bono did it so it must be good because Bono is a saint" attitude here. Not everything U2 does is brilliant. However, I feel that it's many of you who are being naive. Marketing has changed since those "glorified" 80's. If U2 or any other artist were to reject too many marketing ploys, they would fail to sell anything. While U2, the band, has more than enough $$, there is also U2 the business, which employs many people. If that business fails to sell, it hurts far more than just U2 the band.

Lastly, these type of marketing strategies also gives U2 exposure. Many times I hear people say how they weren't even aware that a certain artist had a new album, single or video released! This is because the marketing efforts for that artists failed. U2's current marketing has allowed them to remain on people's minds since September 2000. U2 changed with the times - and I think, we as fans, must as well.

Oh, and as for Bono promoting sunglasses - Larry did a Harley ad in the 80's. Once again, so much for your "glorifed" notions of the "old, respected" U2. That said - if U2 were to start doing KFC or Chili's commercials, I would change my stance and agree with many of you as that would be a classic example of "selling out." It is one thing to make efforts to promote one's music. It's another to sing about ribs or a cola product.

I must ask you this, though: if U2 were to release the U27 cd to every store wouldn't that be even worse than the exclusive deal b/c it would enable them to rake in even more money?

awesome post doctorwho!

MBH, no disrespect but how is it considered bad if a band's decision is profitable? You can't deny the fact that if not for the mighty buck there would cease to be a music industry. It's a business--how you handle that business is another story. I think U2 is handling it nicely, they are doing what they do best--pushing the boundary without crossing it. I love that about U2. The music is selling itself here.

sneh.

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

There's only room for one and here she comes, here she comes...

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
It's really not that complicated. Target payed U2 13 million dollars to shill for them. U2 are doing advertisements for Target and Best Buy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either living in serious denial or doesn't understand how advertising works. Releasing a DVD that's only available in ONE store chain for two weeks is an advertisement for that store. That particular chain (Best Buy wasn't it?)paid millions of dollars to U2 to get them to do that. I have friends who own and work for independent record shops and this is the sort of thing that marginalizes them and puts them out of business. Not that U2 cares. They can't afford to pay them enough to make them care.
I heard Bono's going to be doing adverts for a sunglasses company next. There's going to be a "Bono" line of shades. How wonderful. Is there any doubt that a McDonalds commercial is on its way?

MAP

It pains me to say it, but, you're right. You make some keen points and it bugs the shit out of me. I mean, U2 is the BBITW and they do not need to make any exclusive deals to sell their products.

Look, some advertising and promotion of their music is fine and may help knock off the crap that is out there on the radio. However, U2 sell themselves. Why did they do this(Target, Best Buy)?

I don't know much about the sunglass promotion and I don't know if I want to. I am desperate to ask these questions to the band members since no one in the media has the balls too.

I must ask you this, though: if U2 were to release the U27 cd to every store wouldn't that be even worse than the exclusive deal b/c it would enable them to rake in even more money? The Target and Best Buy deal did allow fans to purchase a CD and DVD at a reasonable price whereas if they released it everywhere they could have charged more money and would have looked even more money hungry. U2 DID NOT get paid directly for these deals. The money that you refer to was put toward advertising which in turn encouraged sales which made them money(I just wanted to clear that up; I realize that either way it has to do with $) These associations also make Bono in particular, look like a hypocrite. How can you criticize corporations and commercialism/materialism and then embrace it? They probably should've offered it for free online or through Propaganda like you said(a la Pearl Jam).

The bottom line for me is the music. If the music is good, then that is what matters most. I am an avid fan and well always support them. However, I disagree with some of their recent motives. It is understandable to promote yourself for the betterment of Rock-N-Roll and music in general(despite these dubious corporate tie-ins, their music still does come from the heart). But they have over-exposed themselves and need to lay low for awhile. I am also confident that U2 will learn from these mistakes as they usually do(RAH, POP, etc...)

You seem like these recent moves have pushed you away from the band. Are you and will you continue to be a fan if U2 continue to make corporate associations? I applaud you for having the nerve to express an opnion and make a statement that I am sure will be met with anger and dissention on this site.

Look forward to your reply.

Back
Top Bottom