So. Next big Marketing Scam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
The whole "leak." Is it really a ploy by Interscope to get the hardcore fans to spread the good news about this album?

I'm starting to think this may be the case. NME would have streamed it anyway. Since only hardcore fans that would buy the album anyway are downloading it, this is only getting more press for U2. Just look at all the new news articles in the news section on this site. And then there's AtomicLemon's whole "wink wink, nudge nudge" response he/she got from the Interscope rep. As far as we know, nothing is going to be done with the release date. This all suggests that there may be a "conspiracy theory" for the whole leak thing. Is this the case??

if it is: :up:
if not, still: :up:

It doesn't bother me. Marketing is marketing, leaks often seem calculated to me. :shrug:

Last edited:
Here it is:

http://forum.interference.com/t101911.html

Yeah, they know.

Because of what I do, I am able to get through to these label people. When I talked to the rep, he laughed and said, "Well, I'm not sure how much I can tell you ... But of course we are aware of it" Then more chuckles. Bah. I hate those arrogant f***ers.

However, PM wasn't happy.

God, I love the fact that this is an anonymous board.

Last edited:
So what if Interscope purposefully leaked the album without PM's permission. That could really stir some hot coals.:ohmy:

Yeah, but the labels hold all the power these days. Believe it. They have the master rights to the material and can do as they wish.

Wow. So do you think there is a realistic possibility that Interscope did this?

Maybe they believed it would help boost sales, while PM has its own reasons for not wanting it to be leaked.

I didn't talk at length to the PM rep. I can only ascertain from the tone of voice and reaction upon me giving them the info. She was asking what songs, when, what station, what DJ, etc ... Sounded quite unnerved.

However it was quite clear that Interscope knew what was going on and had no problem with it whatsoever.

ramblin rose said:
Man, Jick is going to be pissed that he didn't come up with your thread title.:wink:

No, I don't envy the thread title. I have never accused U2 of doing a "marketing scam". On the contrary, I think U2 are marketing geniuses who don't need to resort to scams. As for the leak, it wasn't a scam - but a calculated act of brilliance.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

No, I don't envy the thread title. I have never accused U2 of doing a "marketing scam". On the contrary, I think U2 are marketing geniuses who don't need to resort to scams. As for the leak, it wasn't a scam - but a calculated act of brilliance.

Cheers,

J

:up:

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Yes, but what I'm getting at now is that this may not have been the intention of U2 or PM, but rather Interscope.

Why would Interscope go against the plan and wishes of both U2 and PM?

Doesn't make sense, with the security measures we've read about.

As for radio: how is it possible they play the whole album, ahead of official release? Something's fishy here, and I only hope they were authorised to do it.

Last edited:
FullonEdge2 said:

Yes, but what I'm getting at now is that this may not have been the intention of U2 or PM, but rather Interscope.

It was everyone's intention they all agreed upon. It is part of their overall business plan and marketing strategy (take note.. strategy, not scam).

Cheers,

J

AtomicLemon said:
Yeah, but the labels hold all the power these days. Believe it. They have the master rights to the material and can do as they wish.

I could be wrong, but doesn't U2 own all of the master rights to every song they create? Wasn't that part of one of their record deals?

kevink said:

I could be wrong, but doesn't U2 own all of the master rights to every song they create? Wasn't that part of one of their record deals?

You are correct. U2 owns all of their material and retains all rights. It is only leased out to the labels, which is definitely not how things are done these days. Even in the 80's it was rare, but Paul McGuinness really is a genius and managed to do something very few have been able to do since: pretty much dictate their own terms to the labels. These days, however, it is more complicated- and there are a lot of contractual obligations boths ways, etc... but in the end U2 does own the rights to their recordings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom