So my dad just called...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
and he said:

"I heard two U2 songs I'd never heard on XM today that I liked a lot. Have you heard of one called Salami or something like that? And the other one was kind of bluesy and sounded like BB King was on it."

So I told him where both songs come from and he asked me if I'd burn him a mix CD of stuff he really wouldn't know. He really has only listened to Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby (those are the only two U2 cds I own that I didn't buy, as they were handed down from him), ATYCLB and Hut Dab, so I'm working on a little something. Here's what I did so far.

1. Mofo
2. Gone
3. Bullet The Blue Sky (Live 1993) (He'll know this one but this version is just too good to pass up)
4. Lady With The Spinning Head (UV1 Version)
5. HMTMKMKM (Live From Mexico City)
6. Dirty Day
7. Salome (because he liked it so much)
8. Miss Sarajevo
9. Please
10. Stay
11. When Love Comes To Town (see #7)
12. Fast Cars
13. God Pt. 2
14. Your Blue Room
15. Mercy
16. 40 (Under A Blood Red Sky version)

Any suggestions? I tried to stay away from the bulk of the 80's material just because he has probably heard a good portion of it already. Any extra suggestions are appreciated though.

Sounds to me that he likes the more bluesy and rock and roll centered U2 songs based on those two tracks that he likes so much.

I think you will do a better job easing him into the more experimental side of U2 by focusing less on Pop and Passengers and more on this bluesy and rock sound.

Silver and Gold
Walk to the Water
Hallelujah Here She Comes
Dancing Barefoot
Night and Day

You just might scare him off by going with Mofo as an opener. Save it for another mix if he takes the bait. :wink:

SHAKEITSHAKEITSHAKEIT, SALAAAAAMIIIII.

I hope you're using a live version or remix of "Dirty Day," 'cause that's a really boring spot on the mix otherwise.

I'd swap out "Mercy" for just about anything. "Elvis Ate America," maybe?

Discotheque or Do You Feel Loved might be pretty sweet instead o Mercy

and The Bitter Kiss Mix of Dirty Day all the way

typhoon said:

I'd swap out "Mercy" for just about anything. "Elvis Ate America," maybe?

:lol:

You are cruel!

But I agree, lay back on the Pop stuff maybe. If your father's anything like mine, Mofo will cause him to screw up his face and say, very eloquently, "what the fuck is this noise?" Then again, my father thinks ATYCLB was the height of U2's songwriting ability, so what does he know? He listens to In A Little While on repeat. :(

Salome and When Love Comes to Town are from 89/91. Put in a lot more songs from that era first, and if he likes it, give him another cd of more recent songs. If he likes Salome and WLCTT, he probably won't like Pop right off the bat.

Mofo isn't going to be scaring him off. I've got him into much more expiramental stuff than that lately (chiefly, Kid A). A big part of using Mofo is to show him not every song from the past ten years sounds the same. He makes a point of telling me that everything they churn out is listener friendly, and I want to prove him wrong by throwing something completely off the wall at him.

About Dirty Day. Typhoon, I was using the Bitter Kiss mix, forgot to mention it. Spot on, though. LemonMac. Great minds think alike once again.

Good suggestions though, guys. I really appreciate it.

Queen Bee said:

:no:

You poor thing. My sympathies :hug:

We were watching the Chicago video together last weekend, and do you want to know what he said when Zoo Station came on? "This song is terrible. Is this from the album that didn't sell well?" I screamed at him for about a minute for that. Then do you know what he called The Fly? A "fucking awful noise."

My dad used to be cool. :(

GibsonGirl said:
We were watching the Chicago video together last weekend, and do you want to know what he said when Zoo Station came on? "This song is terrible. Is this from the album that didn't sell well?" I screamed at him for about a minute for that. Then do you know what he called The Fly? A "fucking awful noise."

My dad used to be cool. :(

:sad:

Queen Bee said:

:sad: :sad:
:sad: :sad:

He sat down during Zoo Station in Toronto. :angry: It sucks when your parents suddenly go from being cool to being terribly uncool.

i showed some of my friends the DVD, and during Zoo Station one of my friends said "they must hate playing this song." and i was like why? and he said because its so bad.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Chizip said:
i showed some of my friends the DVD, and during Zoo Station one of my friends said "they must hate playing this song." and i was like why? and he said because its so bad.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

:shocked:

Some people just have terrible taste.

of course that was some idiot that thinks pop is terrible

yet he went to ZooTV and i missed out :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

cool that he liked Salome!

ummm... you pretty much nailed a few rare ones. Maybe Holy Joe the Garage mix and the Dirty Day remix, if he's into that rockish type of thing....

i wonder if your dad was listening to Ethel 47 on XM radio, they love to play random U2 songs

i mean how cool is it to hear Salome on the radio

Ethel :love:

My dad won't listen to U2. :angry:

I was watching the chicago dvd on my laptop at work and my coworkers were all "what's that racket??!!" when Zoo Station was on. :sad:

Then they called me a groupie again. :sad:
Which is soo not true. :angry:

Chizip said:
i wonder if your dad was listening to Ethel 47 on XM radio, they love to play random U2 songs

i mean how cool is it to hear Salome on the radio

Ethel :love:

I don't know. I'll ask him next time I talk to him.

Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

:love:

WildHoneyAlways said:
My dad won't listen to U2. :angry:

I was watching the chicago dvd on my laptop at work and my coworkers were all "what's that racket??!!" when Zoo Station was on. :sad:

Then they called me a groupie again. :sad:
Which is soo not true. :angry:

my friends call me the U2Manwhore, which is mean, but kind of true I guess

but manwhore makes me sound queer
(not that there'a anything wrong with that:ohmy: )

My mom can't stand Electric Co. and I get all MOM?!?!?! YOU LOVE DISCOTHEQUE, BUT NOT THE GODLINESS OF EDGE ON ELECTRIC CO.!

and I shout at her in capital letters

So my dad just called...

I can't understand why people start posts with the word "so". Am I out of touch or is this the way people now write as well as speak?

Halup said:
So my dad just called...

I can't understand why people start posts with the word "so". Am I out of touch or is this the way people now write as well as speak?

You're out of touch:madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

:wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:

You're out of touch:madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

Seriously, I've been using the internet for about 9 years and it seems that only this year that I've noticed people beginning posts and sentences with the word "so", which I'm assuming everyone knows is not grammatically correct.

I think previously, the only times I seen or heard people begin sentences with "so" is when a comedian is setting up a joke or when people have used it in asking a question like "So, when are we going to leave?".

It's conversational. I don't feel like using term paper grammar on Interference.

inmyplace13 said:
It's conversational. I don't feel like using term paper grammar on Interference.

:up:

Of course, there's no excuse for writing "OMG lol your such a good u2 fan!" But I don't see the problem in using conversational sentence structure online. Oh, look, I started a sentence with "but." :wink: As long as your spelling's okay and people know what you're saying, I don't see it as an issue.

i think you should definitely keep Mercy on there. that's a good mix you got there already.
I know it's probably really cliche, but i REALLY like u2's cover of unchained melody.

Back
Top Bottom