So, it seems there won't be ATYCLB tracks on the Best Of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pop_mofo

Acrobat
So, it seems there won't be ATYCLB tracKs on the Best Of...e

At least that is what a new article on youtwo.net seems to indicate.

The article is recognizing Bono and Ali's 20th wedding anniversary but goes on to comment that then new best of will contain tracks from Achtung Baby, Zooropa, POP and Passengers. It also mention HMTMKMKM. However there is absolutely no mention of ATYCLB.

This is good news, don't you agree?

Peace.

By the way, the article is in the U2 NEWS forum here as well. It is titled 'Anniversaries, both happy and sad.'

Peace.

here we go:

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. One
4. Whose Gonna Ride....
5. Even Better Than The Real Thing
6. Numb
7. Lemon
8. Stay
9. Hold Me Thrill Me.....
10. Miss Sarejevo
11. Discoteque
12. Staring At The Sun
13. Last Night On Earth
14. If God Will...
15. Please
16. Hands That Built America
17. Electrical Storm

Very interesting news if it's true!! This frees up more tracks from Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop and saves ATYCLB for the final Best Of post 2010.

I think this sets the stage well anyway bc they'll want atleast 3 albums to pull from for the final Best Of: ATYCLB, new album next year and probably a final album in 2007-2008 timeframe.

Here's my new estimates for the rest of the deacde:

2003 - new album
2004-05 - tour
2007-08 - new album
2008-09 - tour (final?)
2011-12 - final Best Of

maybe we'll get lucky and have a final tour after the last Best Of??

I think this is how things will fall after Bono saying they wanted to make 2 really good albums after ATYCLB.

This is also a good business plan...

Anyways, I'll be excited if this is true bc it means more tracks than we expected from the 90's

zoocarolina said:
Very interesting news if it's true!! This frees up more tracks from Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop and saves ATYCLB for the final Best Of post 2010.

I think this sets the stage well anyway bc they'll want atleast 3 albums to pull from for the final Best Of: ATYCLB, new album next year and probably a final album in 2007-2008 timeframe.

2003 - new album
2004-05 - tour
2007-08 - new album
2008-09 - tour (final?)
2011-12 - final Best Of

I think this is how things will fall after Bono saying they wanted to make 2 really good albums after ATYCLB.

Anyways, I'll be excited if this is true bc it means more tracks than we expected from the 90's

Not bad estimates actually. I like the tracklisting for the Best Of! If thats the tracklisting it'll be quite good....

Yeah...

zoocarolina said:

2003 - new album
2004-05 - tour
2007-08 - new album
2008-09 - tour (final?)
2011-12 - final Best Of

That makes sense to me.

Nice listing for the next "Best of" compilation. The songs most people wanted to see on there or expected to see on there are on there, so that's cool.

Angela

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping that that article is inaccurate.

I do not believe Miss Sarajevo should be on that disc, nor do I think HMTMKMKM should be either. Neither of these songs were the "best of" U2 during that decade in popularity, sales, etc. Plus I JUST DON'T LIKE THEM...

This whole disc makes me nervous...

Besides the ones I know nobody's heard...

those being "Electric Storm" and "The Hands That Built America", the only other songs on there I haven't heard are "Last Night On Earth" and "Miss Sarejevo". Everything else I've heard, and like, so I'm happy.

Maybe I'll go see if I can find "Miss Sarejevo" and "Last Night On Earth" real quick and hear those to see how they sound.

Angela

OUIZY,
Actually, HMTMKMKM was U2s third most popular song in the 1990s after Mysterious Ways and One. It was #1 in airplay on both Album Rock and Modern Rock charts, and it hit #16 on the HOT 100, only 7 U2 singles ever have charted higher than that on the HOT 100 which the national singles chart for the USA.

Re: Besides the ones I know nobody's heard...

Moonlit_Angel said:
I haven't heard are "Last Night On Earth" and "Miss Sarejevo". Everything else I've heard, and like, so I'm happy.
:ohmy: last night on earth is track six off of pop. and miss sarajevo is track seven off of passengers: original soundtracks 1. (which is basically U2 + brian eno) :D

btw ouizy, they've been saying hmtmkmkm and passengers stuff will be on there since the rumours surfaced (methinks...) :tongue: but hey these are all just rumours so maybe you'll get your wish. :D

JOFO said:
here we go:

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. One
4. Whose Gonna Ride....
6. Numb
7. Lemon
8. Stay
10. Miss Sarejevo
11. Discoteque
12. Staring At The Sun
13. Last Night On Earth
14. If God Will...
15. Please
17. Electrical Storm

Is this your estimation or have you seen proof of this track listing?

JOFO said:
here we go:

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. One
4. Whose Gonna Ride....
6. Numb
7. Lemon
8. Stay
10. Miss Sarejevo
11. Discoteque
12. Staring At The Sun
13. Last Night On Earth
14. If God Will...
15. Please
17. Electrical Storm

great set-list , i wish it will be like this .

JOFO said:
here we go:

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. One
4. Whose Gonna Ride....
6. Numb
7. Lemon
8. Stay
10. Miss Sarejevo
11. Discoteque
12. Staring At The Sun
13. Last Night On Earth
14. If God Will...
15. Please
17. Electrical Storm
Almost perfect, but I'd REALLY like a re-mixed Gone, especially with how the band have so drastically improved upon it during the live show. (Edge's background vocals on the Elevation Tour version make it so haunting and moody.) I say replace either Discoteque or Last Night On Earth, although they would never replace Discoteque simply because of it being a #1 single. I could, however, see them replacing Last Night On Earth with Gone after careful consideration of how much of a fan/concert favourtie Gone has become. In this regard, it could be added in much the same vein as Bad was on the first Best Of.

Last edited:
well ........

1.The Fly
2.Mysterious Ways
3.One
4.Even Better Then real Thing
5.Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
6.Stay ( faraway , so close ! )
7.Lemon
8.numb
9.Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
10.Discotheque
11.Staring At the Sun
12.Last Night On Earth
13.Please
14.If God Will Send His Angels
15.Mofo ( phunk force explicit live remix )
16.The Hands That build America
17.the Ground Beneath Her Feet
18.Electric Storm

i see no reason , for the song " miss sarajevo " to be included on cd , it's not really U2 .

pinkfloyd said:
well ........

1.The Fly
2.Mysterious Ways
3.One
4.Even Better Then real Thing
5.Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
6.Stay ( faraway , so close ! )
7.Lemon
8.numb
9.Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
10.Discotheque
11.Staring At the Sun
12.Last Night On Earth
13.Please
14.If God Will Send His Angels
15.Mofo ( phunk force explicit live remix )
16.The Hands That build America
17.the Ground Beneath Her Feet
18.Electric Storm

i see no reason , for the song " miss sarajevo " to be included on cd , it's not really U2 .
Possible reasons why they would include 'Miss Sarajevo':
* It's a GREAT song
* It's a GREAT song that the general public doesn't know about
* It's a GREAT song, and therefore would be a crime to keep it hidden
* It's a GREAT song that includes all 4 members of U2 (so I guess that would make it U2, wouldn't it?)
* It's a GREAT song (I did mention this reason already, didn't I?)

Possible reasons for not including TGBHF:
* While it is a GREAT song, it is part of the ATYCLB recording sessions, and therefore, part of the same "era". So unless ATYCLB is included, don't expect to see this song either.
* Salman Rushdie would have to come out with his own Best Of -- but would then run into the problem of shooting a video for a book...though it would be ground breaking (and no, not the ground beneath her feet silly). Okay, now I'm just stretching...

No ATYCLB songs? I hope that's true! OK, here's my new guess on the tracklisting (not necessarily in order):

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. Even Better Than the Real Thing
4. One
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
6. Zooropa
7. Lemon
8. Numb
9. Stay
10. HMTMKMKM
11. Miss Sarajevo
12. Discotechque
13. Staring at the Sun
14. If God Will Send His Angels
15. Please
16. Gone
17. Electric Storm
18. The Hands That Built America

:yes: This is definitely the best news I've heard all day. I really hope it's true!

...Maybe they came on here and saw that we really didn't want them to include the ATYCLB songs on this compilation...:laugh:

Even though it won't happen, here's what I'd like to see, and I believe it's quite reasonable:

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. Until The End Of The World
4. One
5. Whose Gonna Ride....
6. Even Better Than The Real Thing
7. Numb
8. Lemon
9. Stay
10. Hold Me Thrill Me.....
11. Miss Sarejevo
12. Staring At The Sun
13. Gone
14. If God Will...
15. Please
17. Electrical Storm

See, you take out 'Disco' and 'Last Night' and everything becomes sooo much better!

Last edited:
Your estimated tracklist might as well be called The Singles 91-97.

I say you should take off "who's gonna ride your wild horses" (I never cared for the single version and that's what would be included) and this rumored-remix of "gone". I love the song, yes, but I'd like to see "until the end of the world" on there.

I also hope "Last Night On Earth" is included on the disc. Rumors, rumors, rumors.

- The Zoocifer -

I dunno, seems strange that they really only include songs from 3 albums compared to the 6 that featured on the 1st best-of. In that regard, and the fact that ATYCLB was released in 2000, I think they will include it. Although, saying that, it is a bit soon for it to make the best-of, I dunno!

lazyboy said:
I dunno, seems strange that they really only include songs from 3 albums compared to the 6 that featured on the 1st best-of. In that regard, and the fact that ATYCLB was released in 2000, I think they will include it. Although, saying that, it is a bit soon for it to make the best-of, I dunno!

Yeah, they only released 3 albums in the 90's, so it almost seems like it's a Best of 91-97 album, with the exception of the new songs from 2002 they're working on. Why is "Hands That Built America" being listed on it too, isn't that going to be on a movie soundtrack?

david said:

Yeah, they only released 3 albums in the 90's, so it almost seems like it's a Best of 91-97 album, with the exception of the new songs from 2002 they're working on. Why is "Hands That Built America" being listed on it too, isn't that going to be on a movie soundtrack?

I think 2000 begins a new era for them.

Everything 2000 and forward is in a different category, a different Best Of.

If they included that material in the 90-00, then they would have to cut out some integral songs from that peroid.

Although they could lose IGWSHA and I would be happy.

As far as the 2 new songs, thats a good deal as a bonus to us.

yeah, 2000 marked the beginning of a new era for them. let's face it, they didn't release nearly as many albums in the 90's as they did in the 80's. it seems most bands, as they get more popular, older, etc. don't release albums as often. for example, you have prince, who would release an album every year. now, he hardly releases anything (bad example, i know). lots of people used to release stuff almost every year as well, and now for them it's every 2-3 years. i guess it's cuz instead of needing 9-10 tracks on an album, now you need 13+ for it to be considered a real album.

anyway, i too hope igwsha doesn't make it onto the disc. this would be kinda nice...

1. even better than the real thing
2. one
3. mysterious ways
4. the fly
5. discotheque
6. last night on earth
7. staring at the sun
8. please
9. numb
10. lemon
11. stay
12. hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
13. miss sarajevo
14. who's gonna ride your wild horses
15. until the end of the world
16. the hands that built america
17. the electrical storm

lazyboy said:

I do agree in principle that they are drawing from fewer albums for this best of. However, when you stop and consider that Boy and October each only had 1 track represented on the best of 1980-90 that means that the vast majority of the material was pulled from 4 albums.

When you look at the nineties period you have 3 albums for the majority of material plus Miss Sarajevo and HMTMKMKM. Add the 2 new tracks and I don't think the difference is that great.

I don't know, just my humble opinion.

Peace.

pop_mofo said:

I do agree in principle that they are drawing from fewer albums for this best of. However, when you stop and consider that Boy and October each only had 1 track represented on the best of 1980-90 that means that the vast majority of the material was pulled from 4 albums.

When you look at the nineties period you have 3 albums for the majority of material plus Miss Sarajevo and HMTMKMKM. Add the 2 new tracks and I don't think the difference is that great.

I don't know, just my humble opinion.

Peace.
Not just a humble opinion, but a valid one. I agree completely. U2 have released so much in the way of side projects in the 90s that they may have actually been more active than the 80s, but I'd have to check it out to back that theory up. Good point, also, about them not releasing much from certain albums on the first best of.

pop_mofo said:
Boy and October each only had 1 track represented on the best of 1980-90
yeah...

boy: 1
october: 1
war: 2
the unforgettable fire: 3
the joshua tree: 3
rattle and hum: 4
(plus the sweetest thing)

whereas looking at (possible) stuff for 90-00 (i pretty much tallied the number of songs everyone's guessing, so it won't add up to 15)...

achtung baby: 6
zooropa: 4
pop: 5
(plus hmtmkmkm and miss sarajevo)

looking at 80-90, imo only the latter three albums were fairly represented on it. i mean, rattle and hum has more songs featured on it than the joshua tree which sold much more...

It would be nice if the Best Of is only a 90's set but it is kind of odd to have 2 new tracks on it if it is. 1991-1997 plus 2002? I know that ATYCLB was the start of a new period for U2 so it makes more sense to have that material separate from the 90's stuff, but wasn't The Unforgettable Fire the start of something new for U2 as well? It was a departure from the 1st 3 albums yet it is on the 1st best of along side those tracks. Oh well....I'm glad if it will only be 90's stuff. Artistically, I think it is the wiser choice. 15 great 90's tracks and 2 new songs isn't a bad thing. Here's my guess sans ATYCLB.

1 Electrical Storm
2 Even Better Than....
3 Staring At The Sun
4 Lemon
5 Mysterious Ways
6 If God Will Send....(remix)
7 Stay
8 Until The End Of The World
9 Last Night On Earth (remix)
10 Gone (remix)
11 Hold Me Thrill Me....
12 The Fly
13 Discotheque
14 Miss Sarajevo
15 Please (remix)
16 One
17 The Hands That Built America

If it's a 90's Best of I think Until The End & Gone will definitely be on there. I'd guess that they are 2 of the Band's faves from the 90's....definitely in concert.

Back
Top Bottom