So, it seems there won't be ATYCLB tracks on the Best Of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
does anyone know if the band is going to include a b-sides album like they did with the first one? I could totally see Sarajevo and Hold Me Thrill Me on there along with their cover of Paint It Black, Two Shots of Happy and possibly some stuff from the Million Dollar Hotel [like The Ground Beneath Her Feet]

Just out of curiosity...

I know what you guys are saying with 2000 starting a new chapter of sorts for these guys, so that may be why their songs from ATYCLB aren't on there, which would make sense, but a couple of you mentioned that you're glad that stuff isn't on there-just wondering why?

Angela

Re: Just out of curiosity...

Moonlit_Angel said:
I know what you guys are saying with 2000 starting a new chapter of sorts for these guys, so that may be why their songs from ATYCLB aren't on there, which would make sense, but a couple of you mentioned that you're glad that stuff isn't on there-just wondering why?
for me, it's mainly because the sound for ab-zooropa-passengers-pop is so different from atyclb. i just couldn't picture hearing a song like numb, then hearing beautiful day. i think U2's next couple albums will probably be in the vein of atyclb (maybe not as poppy, but i don't think they'll make another zooropa) so it will fit better with the third greatest hits.

also, i too think it's kinda weird to have the 90-00 and then add two new tracks to it. i mean, for the 80-90, it did have a new song, but it was just a remake of an 80's b-side, so it still fit.

Hello,

Everybody has to remember though that this is just from one article and apparently one that is just relying on the most common news that is on the Internet. Other sources have said differently.
First, HMTMKMKM and Miss Sarajevo will be on the main disc, as reported by the initial press release (with Launch being one of the first to report it). It also said that the disc will contain 17 tracks and two new songs (one of which is thus Electrical Storm).
Furthermore, as posted on Zootopia (with an apparent source of the French site http://www.u2achtung.com), it appears that there are ATYCLB-tracks on it. Three to be precise.
Maybe this is also just a rumour, but until the final tracklist is known, nothing is for sure.

C ya!

Marty

In addition to what Khanada Rhodes said.. if they want to include all 4 singles from ATYCLB, which they probably would, that means leaving off a lot of great songs from the 90s, and that pisses moi off. Especially because the 90s get ignored and dissed by critics and public enough in the wake of U2's messianic return in the form of ATYCLB.

I personally would love for atyclb not to be included, however I would also point out that this source is not necessarily the most valid. I'm still waiting for an official word, especially since the opposite has been reported in many places.

And also, for those who think hmtmkmkm is going to be on the b-sides disc... sorry, but you are wrong. seriously, i would wager considerable amounts of money on this fact, due mainly to the facts that a)it was their third biggest hit of the 90s as someone pointed out and b)it has its own single on which it is the a-side... making it clearly not a b-side. Miss Sarejevo has its own single, too.. and I hope to God it's own the main disc, simply because it's one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded and definately deserves a place there.

I agree with Michael that Gone should be included and that a remixed version like the Elevation Tour would definitely be welcome. I feel Gone could replace either Last Night On Earth or If God Will Send His Angels. Also, I agree with others about the inclusion of Until The End Of The World. It could replace Who?s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. The Best Of 1980-1990 included 2 non-singles Bad and October so I could see U2 doing something similar with this one too by bringing in Gone and Until The End Of The World. Some have expressed an objection to Miss Sarajevo. I believe it may have been a top 10 or 20 hit in the UK and elsewhere in Europe. I can?t see Hands That Built America being on it since it was written for the Gangs Of New York soundtrack and I believe it will be released on it. I wouldn?t mind if they put on the Perfecto Mix of Lemon. I believe it reached number 1 on the US dance chart. I?m interested hearing other people?s track list order and seeing how the flow of it could be best achieved.

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. Until The End Of The World
4. Last Night On Earth (Single version)
5. Stay
6. Numb
7. Lemon (Perfecto Mix)
8. Discotheque
9. HMTMKMKM
10. Even Better Than The Real Thing
11. Electric Storm
12. New Song (new version of Salome or North And South Of The River or ?)
13. Staring At The Sun
14. Gone (Rumored Remix like the Elevation Tour version)
15. Miss Sarajevo
16. Please (Single Mix)
17. One

SkeeK said:
In addition to what Khanada Rhodes said.. if they want to include all 4 singles from ATYCLB, which they probably would, that means leaving off a lot of great songs from the 90s, and that pisses moi off. Especially because the 90s get ignored and dissed by critics and public enough in the wake of U2's messianic return in the form of ATYCLB.

I personally would love for atyclb not to be included, however I would also point out that this source is not necessarily the most valid. I'm still waiting for an official word, especially since the opposite has been reported in many places.

And also, for those who think hmtmkmkm is going to be on the b-sides disc... sorry, but you are wrong. seriously, i would wager considerable amounts of money on this fact, due mainly to the facts that a)it was their third biggest hit of the 90s as someone pointed out and b)it has its own single on which it is the a-side... making it clearly not a b-side. Miss Sarejevo has its own single, too.. and I hope to God it's own the main disc, simply because it's one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded and definately deserves a place there.

I agree with SkeeK & Khanda:yes:

here's a question:

if you guys are so intent and excited that this album be a best of prior to ATYCLB, then why are you so accepting of new songs being on there? it just doesn't make sense. skip ATYCLB and put on two new tracks 2002 era? :crack:

i don't care waht they do. i have it all already anyway. what order they chose is cool with me.

I am going to be very happy no matter what the track list is. I like the idea that All That... should be excluded from this Best Of. I also like the idea of a remixed Gone. I always thought that song was going to be a single when Pop came out. I think a remixed version of it will definetly spark the possibility of a 3rd single off this Best Of. I also look forward to 2 new tracks (pretty much a fact now) in this collection.

I am a huge fan of the first Best Of/B-Sides collection. I think U2 are really going out of their way more so on this next Best Of to give us fans (the long time geeks) something "new" in a package that is designed to introduce newer fans to their 90's sound. I like that. It seems that there will truely be something "new" for everyone here. They did this the first time around with the Sweetest Thing remix. This time around we are getting 2 new tracks and a new remix (or 2?). There is definetly a "please" everyone philosophy going into this Best Of.

Roland of Gilead said:
I am going to be very happy no matter what the track list is. I like the idea that All That... should be excluded from this Best Of. I also like the idea of a remixed Gone. I always thought that song was going to be a single when Pop came out. I think a remixed version of it will definetly spark the possibility of a 3rd single off this Best Of. I also look forward to 2 new tracks (pretty much a fact now) in this collection.

I am a huge fan of the first Best Of/B-Sides collection. I think U2 are really going out of their way more so on this next Best Of to give us fans (the long time geeks) something "new" in a package that is designed to introduce newer fans to their 90's sound. I like that. It seems that there will truely be something "new" for everyone here. They did this the first time around with the Sweetest Thing remix. This time around we are getting 2 new tracks and a new remix (or 2?). There is definetly a "please" everyone philosophy going into this Best Of.

I am happy that the 2 new tracks are going to be on as well, whether they fit or not. I don't know if I would buy it without them. I didn't buy the 1st Best of right away because I had all the tunes except the Sweetest Thing remix. That & B-sides disc eventually won me over. I had the B-sides on a cdr but some tunes were from vinyl so the Best of quality was better. With the 90's I bought the singles as they came out so the B-side disc is less important to me, but I'm still glad they are doing it. It will be nice to have. It shows U2 really does care for all of their fans. 2 new tracks, an optional B-sides disc & possible new remixes....maybe a DVD too. Pretty cool. :yes:

Re: big bummer!

Ana said:
I was expecting to see on that list 'Until The End Of The World'

I'll be really shocked if it's left off. But then again I was shocked when they left "Gloria" off of the first one, so........I don't want to be shocked. I'd rather have it than "Angels", also "Gone".

What if....

What if they had a quadruple CDset:

A sides
B sides
remixes
live versions + covers

:reject: :crack: :coocoo:

This just in: The B-sides disc is going to include all 18 remixes of Mysterious Ways. That's it. The guessing game...is over.:tongue:

pop_mofo said:

I do agree in principle that they are drawing from fewer albums for this best of. However, when you stop and consider that Boy and October each only had 1 track represented on the best of 1980-90 that means that the vast majority of the material was pulled from 4 albums.

When you look at the nineties period you have 3 albums for the majority of material plus Miss Sarajevo and HMTMKMKM. Add the 2 new tracks and I don't think the difference is that great.

I don't know, just my humble opinion.

Peace.

True, very true! If ya look at it that way then it does seem much closer "value" wise to the 80-90 best of. I guess I feel a bit peeved that I have no self control and will probably buy this marketing wonder even though I have most of the songs already:D No actually I'm gonna be strong begurrah! Oh wait..b-sides, those bastardly placed magnets for suckers like me.
:scratch:

I actually just had another thought. Even though I would prefer it if the ATYCLB tracks were not included, shouldn't they be elgible because the album was released in 2000? I mean, if the album is the best of 90-00, then ATYCLB is very much a part of the mix. I don't know, just a thought.

Peace.

JOFO said:
here we go:

1. The Fly
2. Mysterious Ways
3. One
4. Whose Gonna Ride....
5. Even Better Than The Real Thing
6. Numb
7. Lemon
8. Stay
9. Hold Me Thrill Me.....
10. Miss Sarejevo
11. Discoteque
12. Staring At The Sun
13. Last Night On Earth
14. If God Will...
15. Please
16. Hands That Built America
17. Electrical Storm

That's probably quite near what the final list will be but it's quite far off what I'd like to see (or rather hear). Though I love Original Soundtracks (one of my fave U2 related albums actually), I'm not so sure it should make it into a U2 Best of, since it was not an official U2 release. My personal list is not based on popular picks (since it would *never* include One or Lemon) but on my own faves off AB, Zooropa and Pop.

From Achtung Baby
Zoo Station
Even Better Than The Real Thing
The Fly
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness

From Zooropa
Numb
Stay (Faraway So Close!)
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Some DAys Are Better Than Others

From Pop
Do You Feel Loved?
Mofo
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Miami
Please
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Bonus Track
Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Mix)

Back
Top Bottom