So, Is THTBA "The Next Great U2 Song"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Bono was recently quoted as saying he believes he's written "then next great U2 song." He said this at some point during the African trip. The source was CNN, but it was obviously more of an aside than anything. Do you think he was referring to 'The Hands That Built America'? Just from listening to this clip, I get the feeling it could be a commercial smash, much in the vain of -- and I'm about to vomit over the comparison -- Aerosmith's 'I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing' (or whatever it was called). Not that it sounds anything like it; it's just got that huge, epic, grand quality about it. It's got the strings, and the big cinimatic sound. It sounds like it might just explode somewhere just after the clip ends. Sounds like a song that just kind of builds and builds, until it reaches some astonishingly impossible climax. Of course the danger with such an approach, is an almost cheesy, and somewhat contrived feeling. It's something quite difficult to pull off, and not everyone can pull of a 'With or Without You' twice in a row. Instead, what usually happens is a ballad that reeks of sap and artifice, and built heavier than the Titanic *cough* Celine Dione *cough*.

From what I've heard so far, the song could go either way. But back to the original question at hand (so to speak): Do you believe this could be the next great U2 song?

Last edited:
[color=royal blue]I've only heard what's in that little snippet on U2.com...but I say probably not. I mean I could be wrong, but even just the title intself sounds kinda too formulaic.... *shrug*

But we'll see, I guess.

also it seems it might be kinda too specific...I mean Streets and ISHFWILF have been really big and they're more general. Not that that's a RULE or anything, but....gah I can't verbalize.
[/color]

no way to tell at this point, but i really really really really hope their next album has at least some power chords in there. i mean is it too much to ask for a rock song from a rock band every once in a while?

now dont get me wrong, i really believe soundtracks are the place to do what you want, so i dont care what this song will sound like.

but please, for the next lp, please try and put some spunk into it.

that is all.

That Aerosmith song, the lyrics to it were written by some famous song writing lady that writes songs for people. I don't think it was that great, The Aersosmith song that is.

As for the new U2 song. It's good, but it's not like a classic U2 song that will go down in the history of songs like Pride, With Or Without You, or One.

david said:
That Aerosmith song, the lyrics to it were written by some famous song writing lady that writes songs for people.

That would be Dianne Warren. I believe she's the one who is also responsible for :

"Because You Loved Me"
that damn Pearl Harbor song by Faith Hill
"Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"
"Can't Fight the Moonlight"
"How Do I Live"

She's probably also responsible for tons of other songs that make me groan whenever I hear them on the raido.

IMO it's less impressing than that (in)famous Beautiful Day snippet
so I don't think (/hope Bono didn't mean) this is the one

i wanna hear bono chanting.

thtba is supposed to have chanting.

where's the chanting?

Salome said:
IMO it's less impressing than that (in)famous Beautiful Day snippet
so I don't think (/hope Bono didn't mean) this is the one

You mean the last thirty seconds of the song? I loved that snippet...still my favorite thirty seconds of the song. :)

Bono probably believes everything they do is the "next big U2 song", because that's the whole point in continuing to write music... or he at least likes to say so. If he said no, then everyone would jump up and down screaming that Bono admitted U2 are has-beens.

I'm reserving judgement on thtba, but like many people I hate the title.

I am really surprised that they response to this clip has been mixed. Yes, a clip can be hard to rate, but IMO, it sounded great. I just hope we don't have to wait until November or December (when the film is released) to hear the full song.

Michael Griffiths said:
Bono was recently quoted as saying he believes he's written "then next great U2 song." He said this at some point during the African trip. The source was CNN, but it was obviously more of an aside than anything. Do you think he was referring to 'The Hands That Built America'?

I don?t think so Michael, although neither me nor anybody here has listened to the complete song, Hands That Built America. SkeeK stated a good point in his reply, it?s a matter of belief and inspiration to keep on creating great art, music or any form of it.

But I?ll tell you what I thought when I read what he said in Africa, something I stated in local lists, an issue that whe have discussed here...for me their "next great U2 song" is something that is still in his head (at least concerning the lyrics), something related again to what he saw and lived in Africa but maybe in a different approach, more full of hope, on the lines of the last 7 sentences of his speech to the African Development Bank. Again, I can be wrong, but it?s just the way I feel.

Back
Top Bottom