So is it "Edge" or "The Edge"... 'tis the question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
I was interested to keep on hearing Bono say 'The Edge' whenever he addressed 'Edge' during the recent VH1 special. He's say something like, 'What's that you say, the Edge?'

So is it officially 'The Edge' or just 'Edge'?

Let's take a vote...

he is both, because u will remember he usually says "Edge!" before the solo in uteotw

anyhow.. WHY is he called The Edge? Why they started calling him The Edge from the very beginning?

is because he used to have those kind of knifes? :scratch:

Lynz778 said:
Why is he called Reg anyway? Where did that come from?

The name "Reg" was created by the same person who gave Dave Evans the name "Edge"/The Edge" in the first place; that was of course Bono. "Reg" surfaced in the book "U2 At the End of the World", which you must read. It explains everything (more or less). Even if it didn't explain everything, you should still read it! It's SO entertaining!!

It seems to me that they call him The Edge when they aren't addressing him directly, and Edge when they're calling his name, as in, "Yo, Edge, hand me that guitar!" I once actually dined with U2, a very long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, and if memory serves, they all just called him Edge to his face. But then when they were talking ABOUT him, they called used the The.

Anyhoo, the name came about because he lived at the edge of the neighborhood, and it seemed fitting for a guy who was all angles. Bono didn't give him the name; it was Gavin Friday who doled out the nicknames.

The nickname "Reg" came from when way back when some rock star or DJ thought that The Edge was named Reg (he was also called Hedge once as well, I think).

There are several reasons Bono gives for why he nicknamed Mr. Evans The Edge. First is because of his sharp facial features. Second is because of his tendency to hang off to the edge of groups and such. Anton Corbijn also said that Edge got his nickname because he likes to walk along high things (such as seen on the VH1 special). As Anton said, "Edge has no vertigo."

Edge and The Edge are both acceptable. At the beginning of U2's recording career, he was also known as "Dave Edge." I think Bono (and everyone else), usually calls him Edge but Bono calls him "The Edge" for extra emphasis.

10.jpg

what about that pic?:wave:

I think, THE Edge more officially.

pookersmom said:
Bono didn't give him the name; it was Gavin Friday who doled out the nicknames.

No, he may have given out some of them, but Bono defintely named Edge; dozens of sources say so. Also, it's well-known that Guggi gave Bono his nickname.

david said:
everytime bono calls edge "the edge" it sounds like he's being really sarcastic.

yeah...I saw this interview, and every time they called him The Edge or Mr. The edge, they cracked up. Also in that vh1 special when he was like "don't do it, The Edge! it wasn't out of tune...it was just creative!" lol

also I saw this interview where edge said that at time it was because of the shape of his chin.

Back
Top Bottom