"So Cruel" Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always loved this song but never heard the last part. Even though he practically worships this woman throughout the whole song in the end he delivers the truth: "To stay with you I'd be a fool". :|

Nothing in AB is a filler. It all fits in and works beautifully. I'm sure those who think so haven't listened properly! I just send this song to someone who'd never heard it before and she really liked it.

i'm not a big fan of lyrics in general, i prefer it if a song just sounds good musically, but when i first bought AB i was blown away by the lyrics, and this song is one of the pinnacles in that department. a beautiful song.

"Desperation is a tender trap, it gets you every time."

I hope you people all know that this was voted SECOND WORST song on Achtung Baby in the worst song survivors.

I was listening to it the other day, and I no really like it. It used to be the only song on the album I skipped because of its many, many lyrics and its length but now I like it.

I agree nothing on AB is filler. The closest it comes to is TTTYATW.

I also agree with with 1stepcloser. In my AB review thread I said I prefer if a song sounds good musically, but the lyrics are really good.

It doesn't sound dark at all though, considering it's lyrics.

to hear that drumming in 91 from an acclaimed rock n'roll band was a revolution in many people minds, including mine.

COBL_04 said:
"Desperation is a tender trap, it gets you every time."

I hope you people all know that this was voted SECOND WORST song on Achtung Baby in the worst song survivors.

I was listening to it the other day, and I no really like it. It used to be the only song on the album I skipped because of its many, many lyrics and its length but now I like it.

I agree nothing on AB is filler. The closest it comes to is TTTYATW.

I also agree with with 1stepcloser. In my AB review thread I said I prefer if a song sounds good musically, but the lyrics are really good.

It doesn't sound dark at all though, considering it's lyrics.

For a start I don't even know how anyone can put anything from AB in a worst song survivor! Must be flippin' mental.

The lyrics and the length add to it, I think. Heck, it's not long enough! The lyrics are so clever, too.

I know lots of folk thing TTTYAATW is a skip song but it's very important, I think. It's the easy way out, the nice happy ending that never occurs because the music has to be faced, so we get the much more dark outcome instead. Love it!

Oh and I just remembered something I was thinking upon listening to it last night - I think the melody is like that of a lullaby, which is in total contradiction to its words and meaning. Brilliant.

This song is absoultely brilliant! The whole of Achtung Baby is brilliant, and U2's best work. The entire album just flows perfectly, and So Cruel is a perfect part of it. I would kill to see this song live.

BluRmGrl said:
....Between the horses of love and lust, we are trampled underfoot.....

This is my favorite line in any U2 song. I get shivers everytime I hear this part of "So Cruel". The song is definitely underrated, as I think the lyrics are some of the best Bono has ever written.

So Cruel, pulls at my heart and makes me ache. By the same token, it is very healing. It is a brilliant song. Just brilliant.

When my brother was going through a divorce, I was having a hard time and I listened to this song over and over again.

This song sums up the relationship I just got out of.

And she tried to make me feel horrible for dumping her because you know, she is so cruel:huh:

What does GAWD stand for? Or do you just mean God, that song has brilliant lyrics?

For me the songs of AB are -

Until the End of the World
Ultra Violet
Acrobat

And to a lesser extent, One.

Back
Top Bottom