So...after 1 week, what do you think of the Bomb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First off, before I say anything else, I just want to say this: hello, all! It is so good to be back here for good now-I've missed all of you. :wave: :hug:.

All right, now on to the album-I do definitely like it. "A Man And A Woman" is a song that's rather grown on me the more I hear it-I like the lyrics, they're sweet. "Crumbs From Your Table" is growing on me more and more, too.

I think "City Of Blinding Lights" is my favorite song off of the CD-I just love the piano, love the chorus-kinda reminds me of an Unforgettable Fire era song in a way (same goes with "Yahweh"-if you listen to the way Bono sings the song, it does kinda seem like it could've fit in on The Unforgettable Fire, at least to me). It's an awesome song.

"One Step Closer" is a song that's been rather interesting with me...I like the song, it's a good song...but is it just me, or are the lyrics a bit...creepy? They sound to me like the words of a man who is dying and knows that he's dying.

:shrug:. I dunno. The lyrics kinda creep me out, personally. But I do like the song. After all, "Love Is Blindness" is a haunting song, and that's one of my absolute favorite U2 songs, so...

I'm just gonna say this right now: "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" makes me bawl like a baby when I hear it. Oh. My. God. Very touching, very bittersweet tune...it's like with "Kite", these lyrics just get to me and on come the tears. Every time I hear it I want to go find Bono and give him a hug. Great, emotional song.

"Original Of The Species" rocks-great violin in there, love the chorus in that one, too. Another one of my personal favorites. Don't know if I'm too keen on the title of the song, but I do love the song itself.

Do like "Vertigo", have since it came out, just a fun, rocking tune. My mom really likes that one. "All Because Of You"-I like the way the verses in this one are sung, very 60s-ish sound. That's my dad's favorite (by the way, I get a real kick out of the way Bono says "tortoise" in this song. I have never heard anyone pronounce that word like that before). "Love And Peace Or Else" (that title amuses me) is interesting, too-has a cool beginning to it that I particularly like. And "Miracle Drug" isn't bad, either-I like the chorus in that one, too (hmm, a theme here-I seem to like the choruses in a lot of these songs...).

So there's my review of it all. Overall, not bad, not bad at all, this one. It's nice to have these guys back again, it's nice to hear some new stuff from them. :).

Angela

One Step Closer is the first song they have done in a while that used JT type keyboards and atmospherics. The sound at the beginning and end reminds me of the keyboard landscape sounds Eno used for Streets, Mothers Of.... etc and I think it sounds great. Plus the guitar from Edge has a very 80s feel and in my opinion this song could have appeared on JT or RH. Great song.

City of Blinding Lights is another favourite and sounds like something from UF era, the modern version of Unforgettable Fire which is one of my all time fav U2 songs.

I really don't like All Because Of You, but the album version sounds better than the MP3's that were on the net.

Love and Peace or Else is ok, but I think Bono sings at too high a pitch, it would have sounded better with a rawer, deeper vocal i.e. I could imagine Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam or the lead singer of Audioslave/Ex Soundgarden singing this.

It's a favourite for sure, but I've taken it out of my car cd player for the first time since I got it, so that's a week and a half, and I do a bit of driving! I started to weary of it, but that's ok, it'll be back in there soon!

Excellent! when you played really loud in your car stereo.

A Man and A Woman
Crumbs on Your Table
One Step Closer
Orginal
Yahweh
and Fast CAr.
All above..... Thats where the album begins.

After a week and a half the disappointment is still heartfelt. Musically it's okay, lyrically it's not as good as AB or ATYCLB.

Only tracks I listen to are One Step Close and Fast Cars, which is a masterpiece in it's own right and for me one of the best songs U2 have written for a long time.

Generally though I haven't been this disappointed since Zooropa. :sad:

Good signs...hated with first listen...OMG they did it!

U2 listening program...place in car...listen to over and over and over and over...

Love it! Hear a different tune in my head every day!

Soon it will be time to add it to the full U2 catalogue mix and see how it stacks up to the historical rest.

BTW...this is the first thread I've let myself read with opinions. I'm not ready yet for my opinions.

Taa ... taa... :wave:

Hello, U2girl! :wave: :hug:.

Gave the album a couple more listens this evening-here's the songs that I'm particularly into right now:

City Of Blinding Lights (of course-seriously, how awesome IS this song?)
A Man And A Woman
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Original Of The Species
All Because Of You
One Step Closer (this one's not creeping me out as much anymore :))

By the way, I'm very anxious to hear what these songs'll be sounding like live. :yes:.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

"One Step Closer" is a song that's been rather interesting with me...I like the song, it's a good song...but is it just me, or are the lyrics a bit...creepy? They sound to me like the words of a man who is dying and knows that he's dying.

:shrug:. I dunno. The lyrics kinda creep me out, personally. But I do like the song. After all, "Love Is Blindness" is a haunting song, and that's one of my absolute favorite U2 songs, so...

Angela

Well the inspiration for the song was a conversation Bono had with one of his friends when his father passed away. Bono was upset about his fathers lack of faith when he passed. The friend (I cant remember who off hand but I think it was someone that is known) said to Bono, "Well, he is one step closer to knowing".

*Wolverine* said:
Well the inspiration for the song was a conversation Bono had with one of his friends when his father passed away. Bono was upset about his fathers lack of faith when he passed. The friend (I cant remember who off hand but I think it was someone that is known) said to Bono, "Well, he is one step closer to knowing".

Ah, okay-didn't know that. That would make sense, then. Thanks for the info. :).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom