So...after 1 week, what do you think of the Bomb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first two or three listens of AMAAW left me unmoved. Whether it was just my mood, time of the day, etc, it just totally clicked the other day and now I really get it. And I'm thrilled...

Aardvark747 said:
Im actually starting to worry about listening to it too much, and over-indulging to the point that I start to dislike it or something!!?:huh:

perhaps im being a little too paranoid here...:wink:

That's how I feel, also, so if you're a paranoid nutso, I am also.

In fact, I am now limiting my listenings.

although, I still haven't gotten very tired of listening to ATYCLB, 3 years later...

Yahweh is the best song in years.....

COBL is like unfinished, can't feel it like some of you do.

Miracle drug, AMAAW, LAPOE, SYCMIOYO and OOTS are all great songs..... but we'll have to see them live to tell if it's really a top 3 U2 album or not. For now.... I'm sceptical. Still better than ATYCLB and Zooropa.....

It's a very good album. It's not great. It's way better than ATYCLB; for me it lacks the attempt at greatness that Pop had. I respect the attempt at greatness more than the "appeal to everyone" sheen this one has. Miracle Drug and City of Blinding Lights are just so *obvious* that I find I can't listen to them very much.

Better than All That You Can´t Leave Behind ( the worst U2 album IMO :madspit: :censored: ) but it´s really dissapointing for me :tsk: :(

As much as I love "Kite", "Sometimes..." is even better! Well, after someone told me that "Sometimes..." was a lot like "Stuck In A Moment..." before I had my chance to hear it myself, I'd easily say "Sometimes..." is better.

I wonder how I'd feel about them releasing it as a single.

As far as the rockers, Miracle Drug and Crumbs are pretty tight, both seem to be heavily influenced by Bono's work and visits in Africa. I still think Vertigo rocks the house too.

You know what, I'm in love with the entire album, and it makes me sick to have to single any of it out. I'm just going to give every song I haven't mentioned a :up:.

Still great and even better then when I heard it a month ago...the band continues to amaze me.

I think HTDAAB is quickly moving up the ranks of greatness...it's hovering in the same atmosphere as AB and JT for me. There are SO many great songs on this record, with a very impressive mix of rockers and slow-burners.

I know this may be for another thread, but I do think HTDAAB and AB are genetically linked somehow...almost like HTTDAAB is the older sister of a questioning and lonely AB....giving advice on love, loss, the triumph of the human spirit..

Last edited:
A great album. So far it is in my top three or four U2 albums.
Every song has staying power after repeated listenings which is important.
The only dissapointment for me has been LaPoE. I loved this song at first but it stopped growing on me immediately.
I hope the live version recaptures my interest. That's what happened to me with Bullet the Blue Sky.

I made a burnt CD today, and added 3 songs into the album. It nows feels so complete.

Vertigo
Are you gonna wait forever
Miracle Drug
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
Love and Peace or else
City of blinding lights (current favorite)
All because of you
Fast cars
A man and a woman (my favorite over the weekend)
Crumbs from you table
One step closer
Original of the species
Yahweh
Mercy (BAD ASS ALBUM CLOSER)

I find that "AYGWF" really works great as #2. I think from Vertigo to Miracle Drug is too drastic of a change. Vertigo gets me pumped up and rockin', then Miracle Drug comes along, and now I'm supposed to think about a paraplegic whose mother taught him to read and write with the help of a medical breakthrough. I love Miracle Drug, and I love what it's about. But coming from Veritgo to that makes me appreciate Miracle Drug less. AYGWF kinda puts me in a good, optimisitc mood after the rush Vertigo creates. After AYGWF, I'm much more ready for the heartfelt Miracle Drug.

I still think it was a sin to leave "Mercy" off the album. This song would've KILLED live. Now it's just a b-side, and they never play b-sides live in their full version.

it's one of their best albums, gets better with repeated listens. I'm still listening to the album straight through, doing it right now :wink:

AussieU2fanman said:

Do I detect a betrayl in relation to our naming of Miracle Drug as the best song since the mid 80's? JUDAS!!! :wink:
Axver, stand by me and your word and re-ignite your love for that song! :D

No betrayal at all! It's the best song since With Or Without You. However, City Of Blinding Lights is the best song since Streets and Crumbs is the best song since I had a strange idea of Pride and Walk On becoming one tune.

I realise I have stopped making sense.

i loved HTDAAB at first, but now im getting tired of it. the only tracks i really look forward to listening to are vertigo, vertigo(temple bar mix), native son, xanax and wine, mercy, and all because of you (alternate version). But when I think of it, thats 6 tracks I really like, which is not bad at all. I am definitely pleased with their efforts this time around, even if only one of my favorites made it onto the album. Or maybe I have just overlistened to it in the past few weeks, who knows.

Last edited:
The album is ok. It will definetly grow on me after I see them live in a few months...

But then, I guess I will only listen to concert bootlegs of the new tour.... oh, well.

I stated this in another thread somewhere, but I like every song on the album and that has never happened for me before with any album by any band.....I am so impressed that after 25 years the boys can still make groovy tunes that acutally mean something and strike a chord with events that are happening in my own life....they have never dissappointed me and I cannot wait to see them live YAHOO!!!!!!

i think people tend to overlook vertigo too much. It is one of my favorites along with ABOY, COBL, MD, COYT,OOAS, Yaweh, AMAAW, OSC, SYCMIOYO. I guess every song is my favorite.

I like a few of the HTDAAB session songs better (native son, xanax and wine, aboy alternate version), and it was upsetting at first, but now I realize it was pretty cool of U2 to release them. Sorta like saying, make up your mind which is better, here you go. Shows their confidence.

The first time I heard the new album, I didn't know what to think, but after many more listens I'm loving it and thinking it's one of their greatest ever.

Seven songs (Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Sometimes, City of Blinding Lights, All Because of You, Original of the Species, and Yahweh) are already among my all-time favorites.

Vertigo has much more depth than people give it credit for, Original of the Species is one of the finest examples of songwriting on this planet, and the ecstatic City of Blinding Lights is up there with my favorite U2 songs of all time!

I'm still not sure right now. Album was big disappointment at first,as I had my hopes pinned on U2 getting back to producing innovative music. Next couple listens grew on me, but I still have reservations towards this album.

City of Blinding Lights together with Love and Peace or Else are U2's best songs since Pop. COBL is the case of the classic U2 sound shifted a bit and LPOE is the freshest sound on the album.

After initial qualms about Vertigo I'd say it's my third favourite track as it has really grown on me and rocks harder than any U2 song since HMTMKMKM, with some nice 80's post-punk bits.

A Man and Woman is next on my list, though here things are losing some of their inspiration, though the groove for the opening and closing 'little sister' sections is sublime.

Miracle Drug, Original of the Species and Sometimes have some nice pionts but just are lacking something in execution and have some awkward bits.

I love the lyrics for Crumbs, but it sounds WAY too much like Walk On. U2 have never duplicated sound to this degree ever and it seriously taints a song that is otherwise very nice... though again nothing really new.All Because of you is bland and Yahweh is terribly awkward with uninspired music.

All and all big step up from ATYCLB largely because it has a ton more feeling to it. And I'll say it's grown on me, something ATYCLB has yet to do in over 4 years of listening. I'd slot this in above UFF, War, October, and Boy in terms of mucical accomplishment (it's one notch below ATYCLB in the category as that album was more varied in sound, though much blander) and above October, Boy and ATYCLB in terms of greatness. I'll do a full review of it tommorow I think.

I realise this album is not as thematically cohesive as albums like POP, Achtung Baby, Zooropa etc, nor does it introduce that many new sounds into U2's palette...but my reason for thinking its the third classic U2 album is merely that there are 7 songs(Sometimes, Love And Peace, Miracle Drug, Vertigo, All Because Of You, Original Of The Species, One Step Closer) that are up with their best work. Its simply an abundance of great songs, and I think that overrides my feelings about the album's lack of innovation...great songs cannot be denied. To add to that, there are 3 songs I consider weaker that I still think are really good (ie 8/10 standard) which are City Of Blinding Lights, Crumbs, A Man And A Woman...and then Yahweh, which I consider the weakest song but still decent..so to me the album has a lot of strength in depth.

the first time i listened to the album, i was unexpectedly blown away by the emotion on almost every track and i wanted to cry. after that i decided i'd be better off digesting one new track at a time. (i'm only up to 6 yet !) i find every song compulsively listenable and addictive. all of these songs will rank among U2's finest. i could quibble with production points here and there, but in the long run it's not the production that makes the album, it's the songs. these songs KILL. one aside, the album does not seem to sound that great on my car stereo but is totally immersive on the iPod with headphones -- maybe no surprise there, but I almost don't bother listening on the car stereo because it just isn't as great.

The only song I d/l besides Vertigo was LAPOE and I was very impressed with that song. I heard MD and ABOY on the radio and wasn't that impressed. I didn't understand all of the MD hype on here.

But then I bought the album....I blasted it in my car on my way home (at midnight) and I was blown away. SYCMIOYO really got to me, that's an amazing song. I also have really enjoyed MD, CFYT, COBL, and OOTS.... I loved LAPOE from the very beginning, and I still love it. I like AMAAW and OSC but they still have to grow on me. ABOY seems a little *too* catchy, but it's a fun song. Yahweh is a nice closing song too. :) Overall I really like the album, I've been listening to it constantly since I bought it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom