So...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray

Acrobat
I wonder what this album will bring, you know, none of us had any clue that by the end of ATYCLB, Bono would take a long marvelous trip and we would get a "brand new U2." I wonder how this album will change U2, if it will. I kind of wished that U2 would release this album on Haloween, or at least near it, because I have soooo many ATYCLB/Halloween 00 memories! I hope this album will bring me lotsa new memories. Oh well, I also wanted to let you know that this will be the last time I go post here without hearing "Vertigo!"

Last edited:
I'm sorry if you regard his important visit to Africa as an "ego trip" because it definitely wasn't. That was a fact-finding mission with Paul O'Neill. :huh:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean that it was wrong for him to go to Africa, I am just saying, I think he should have stuck with his "day job," so to speak, rather than fix something no one can fix. But, yes, I am sure he made those children feel v very good, so if I could go back, I wouldn't change it. All I am saying is, I don't think that he was putting his band first.

This will be my last post without hearing Vertigo!

Actually, if you believe he is attempting to fix something no one can fix, then perhaps you should tell DATA, etc that too.

Children in AIDS-ravaged Africa have no idea who Bono Rock Star is. He's the nice Irish man with pretty blue eyes and a nice smile is what they know.

Despite putting U2 first, which he probably does most of the time, he is also Bono, and has heeded a calling in life to do something with the awesome power that celebrity has on people. He is trying to make a change - and that is fine to do away from the band. Granted, I'm not in a band, never have been - but there's nothing wrong with people doing humanitarian work on the side.

I'm sorry, this was hardly the point of my thread. :sad: :(

This happens so much to me! I make a thread about memories, or funny stories I wrote and they get turned into arguments! I think Bono is great! I could never do anything he does for a day! DATA is great! But U2 comes first, especially when they are HALF WAY, or "in the home straight" on an album! I want to hear "Vertigo," and this is my last post without hearing it!!!!!
:rant: :silent: :banghead: :crazy: :faint:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean that it was wrong for him to go to Africa, I am just saying, I think he should have stuck with his "day job," so to speak, rather than fix something no one can fix. But, yes, I am sure he made those children feel v very good, so if I could go back, I wouldn't change it. All I am saying is, I don't think that he was putting his band first.

Wow ..isn't apathy just wonderfully lethal. Look I can understand who there may be people who just want Bono to do music.. but If you don't let Bono be Bono...then U2 is just not the same thing..

I would love to go off on a rant on the importance of what Bono does and how the affects actually are measurable but thats better suited for somewhere else or FYM maybe .. but if you just are interested in the music .. then what do you think you would get without letting each of them live their fire so to speak..

Last edited:
Okay, I see your point, but you don't see The Edge stopping playing music to go away, does that mean he isn't being himself? Bruce Springsteen, a perfect example of a political and caring musician, does he go to Africa in the middle of recording? Bono is himeslf when he is making music. Music is his life. And if it is not, I would support him 100% to become a politician. I hope you don't hate me.

Last edited:
you know people, murray does have the right to wish U2 made more music, without taking a socially responsible stance.

like i said before, i'm not taking either side, but he does have his right to his opinion, and i don't believe his opinion is a direct reflection on his character.

Murray said:
rather than fix something no one can fix.

No ONE can fix the mess but as a whole WE ALL can. That is what he is trying to: rally us together. I totally agree with him that this can (and SHOULD) be a defining moment for all humanity. (What's the point going to a different planet if we can't get along on the one we got!) I admire him the most for thinking like this and to have the conviction to push and push and push the issue even if it means seeming "un-hip". I would be so extremely frustrated if I were him by having poeple think my efforts were futile. I would easily lose faith in humanity!

BTW, I can hear the bomb-bay doors opening!! Brace yourself!!!

Don't have a cow, man - but if you're going to make statements about Bono's charity work, expect to get some opinion back from people with experience on the topic.

No ONE can fix the mess but as a whole WE ALL can. That is what he is trying to: rally us together. I totally agree with him that this can (and SHOULD) be a defining moment for all humanity. (What's the point going to a different planet if we can't get along on the one we got!) I admire him the most for thinking like this and to have the conviction to push and push and push the issue even if it means seeming "un-hip". I would be so extremely frustrated if I were him by having poeple think my efforts were futile. I would easily lose faith in humanity!

BTW, I can hear the bomb-bay doors opening!! Brace yourself!!!

Okay, I see your point, but you don't see The Edge stopping playing music to go away, does that mean he isn't being himself? Bruce Springsteen, a perfect example of a political and caring musician, does he go to Africa in the middle of recording? Bono is himeslf when he is making music. Music is his life. And if it is not, I would support him 100% to become a politician. I hope you don't hate me.

this is part of my point this is Bono being himself.. if you have something burning at you .. you shouldnt ignore that .. I just get the feeling this is very much at the root of who Bono is..

just the way I expect Edge, Larry and Adam to be true to themselves.. they are more then just the music I'm sure they all have their own thing going on and that just adds to the music when it comes time to do the music.. I think it makes it even better

of course no one hates you don't be silly.. it's nice you want more U2 music

Bono is a passionate man. He needs to feel needed. And, for Bono to deny himself any opportunity to help those in need would remove much of his passion. While music is his main calling, Bono channels his passion for other issues into his lyrics and voice. Ergo, to keep his contribution to u2 at the level we listeners expect, Bono must do what he can to help others.

Jesus, talk about blowing things out of proportion. I think Murray was just trying to express his excitement and it came out the wrong way. There are a lot of people who wish Bono would spend more time with the music and less time with other things. Yes, the situation in Africa is an emergency, but like Bono says, his main job will always be music.

The guy is just excited about the new album. Just because he doesn't necessarily have his homepage set to DATA right now isn't a reason to come down on him so hard.

You're right, medmo.

I'm sorry Murray. :) I think things came out wrong on all our parts. Had we been speaking face to face, it would have sounded far different than our words can convey.

I wonder what this album will bring, you know, none of us had any clue that by the end of ATYCLB, Bono would take a long marvelous trip and we would get a "brand new U2." I wonder how this album will change U2, if it will. I kind of wished that U2 would release this album on Haloween, or at least near it, because I have soooo many ATYCLB/Halloween 00 memories! I hope this album will bring me lotsa new memories. Oh well, I also wanted to let you know that this will be the last time I go post here without hearing "Vertigo!"

OK ive been here for awhile, Angel wtf did u jump on murray's ass?

Ive noticed this amongst several people on these boards, someone like murray making a statement and the you blow in here like North Korea and tell him what he cant say, dont waste your admin time looking for an argument, cause it looks like murray doesnt want one, no one does. And i guess you can boot off anyone u want too but it wouldnt look cool, only totalitarian.

Stir the Pot

rymyx said:

OK ive been here for awhile, Angel wtf did u jump on murray's ass?

Ive noticed this amongst several people on these boards, someone like murray making a statement and the you blow in here like North Korea and tell him what he cant say, dont waste your admin time looking for an argument, cause it looks like murray doesnt want one, no one does. And i guess you can boot off anyone u want too but it wouldnt look cool, only totalitarian.

Stir the Pot

That's not true at all, and that's certainly not my personality. I didn't jump up his ass. He said something, I responded. Big deal. North Korea is an interesting way to put it considering I'm nowhere near that level, not even close. I'm also not an admin. Anyway, I apologized genuinely. Should I apologize to you as well even though you likened me to North Korea?

:sigh:

This thread should have stopped at the sniping and crap a while ago. Murray, please start your thread again as it isn't really the intention of the thread which was the problem - but the outcome.

Of course, it also helps that people go back and edit their posts to change what they said to begin with. So yes, it does look like I/we jumped up his ass because his original post has been completely edited. :)

But yes, back on topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom